HBS 3 One touch copy and Sync do not work anymore

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
Mayonnaise
New here

HBS 3 One touch copy and Sync do not work anymore

Post by Mayonnaise »

Hi,
I hope I'm posting in the right section.
As title says.
I've got an old TS-TP431P
Always updated to the latest firmware (both HBS and firmware are at the latest firmware (5.0.1.294)
Inside my NAS there are 2 hard disk in paired in Raid 1.

I only use the NAS for the storage itself and usually after a while I use the One touch copy function to sync it with an external HD (EXT4 and yes, I bought genuine license from QNAP itself) for an external backup.

Now, Ignoring the fact that after the last few versions of the OS I was starting to get some issues recognizing the external hard disk on the NAS itself. Tho, thankfully these issues managed to resolve itself by restarting few times the machine.

But Today I'm unable to sync my external hard disk at all...
It gets recognized normally.
But when I try to use the One Touch copy function I get this error (file 2.jpg)
I thought that maybe my folder's name was the issues, since there was an "_" on it.
I tried to change it, changed also the directory on the one touch copy function. Same error.

At that point I tried to use the sync function on the HBS to see if maybe I would have been able to temporary fix this issue...
And still it doesn't work. I get a read/write error (file 3.jpg).
But that don't make any sense at all...
Do someone have any idea or clue of what's happening?
I didn't touch or modify anything at all on my external hard disk and on the nas and now even a simple basic sync do not work properly...

Also I would like to point out that, if I connect the external hard disk without syncing, I'm able to create/modify stuff inside my external hard disk.
But if I try to do that AFTER a sync failed (one touch copy or sync) I cannot do that anymore.
My external hard disk gets in read mode only without any reason. And I'm forced to unplug and plug it again for making it work "normally". (file 5.jpg)

PS: restarted multiple times the nas, the situation didn't change at all. Also I would prefer NOT to format my external hard disk...

Thanks in advance for any help or input and sorry for the trouble.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FSC830
Experience counts

Re: HBS 3 One touch copy and Sync do not work anymore

Post by FSC830 »

When (with which firmware) did this worked the last time?
Since QTS 5.x there are several issues with USB devices.

Regards
Mayonnaise
New here

Post by Mayonnaise »

FSC830 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:24 am When (with which firmware) did this worked the last time?
Since QTS 5.x there are several issues with USB devices.

Regards
It's kinda tricky to me to say cause I don't do backup so often but... seeing the center log I got these results:

Information 2022-09-18 01:52:52 System 127.0.0.1 --- --- --- [USB One Touch Copy] Backup completed.
After that I updated the firmware.
Information 2022-09-18 02:19:41 admin 127.0.0.1 --- Firmware Update Firmware Update [Firmware Update] Updated system from version 5.0.0.2055(20220531) to 5.0.1.2145(20220903).

That was the last time I was able to complete a backup.
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

I see... so if possible, consider to do a downgrade back to 5.0.0.2055.
If OTC runs again, its most likely the QTS version.

BTW: Backups should be available all the time. :wink:

Regards
Mayonnaise
New here

Post by Mayonnaise »

It's fine for me but can I downgrade without losing the data inside the nas?
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

Mayonnaise wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:49 am It's fine for me but can I downgrade without losing the data inside the nas?
that's why you should backup just in case. everytime you downgrade, they even warn you about that and tell you to backup.

only thing you can do is try downgrade see if that got it working back again, if not then report to helpdesk and explain the situation. either way you should still report to helpdesk :'
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
Mayonnaise
New here

Post by Mayonnaise »

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:09 pm
Mayonnaise wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:49 am It's fine for me but can I downgrade without losing the data inside the nas?
that's why you should backup just in case. everytime you downgrade, they even warn you about that and tell you to backup.

only thing you can do is try downgrade see if that got it working back again, if not then report to helpdesk and explain the situation. either way you should still report to helpdesk :'

Guys Am I missing something here or there's some kind of language barrier? I don't wanna make a fuss about it, but just to be clear.

1)I do have my backup, and while yes, I don't do that often, I do those EVERYTIME I update the firmware on my machine if needed. (And for my necessities are more than enough)

2)I would love to make a new backup if the basic SYNC function would work properly.
Cause the NAS itself seems to work fine. Everything is connected and it seems is being recognized properly. It's the simple and basic function that do not work. (Probably software related and not on user error)
PS:Though, Not sure why though the last update went automatically. since it usually ask first before updating but it's okay, my fault on that for being careless.

3) While I understand the fact that mistakes can happen and issues can arise with software updates... this feeling of throwing the user at fault because it didn't do a backup (which I would like to remind you. I did.) when a basic, and I would like to empathize "basic" function of a NAS do not work, and people are forced to go towards updates/downgrade/wasting time and hours for this... Seems a bit ironic to me.

What I was hoping to get here is maybe someone had a clue/solution/method to fix this issue (which let's be honest,while simple it's kinda critical) without making the fuss of wasting hours/days on it.
Maybe I misunderstood the purpose of this section. If that's the case I'm sorry.
That's all.

PS: My mistake didn't mean to say EXT4... It's exFAT

EDIT:
For those who are having my same issue.
It Seems like that I may I have found a temporary solution.
I almost forgot that I had two usb port on the back of the machine...
and for some reasons (I don't know why or how) it seems to work so far...
I'll update again this post to let people know if the sync went smoothly
EDIT2:
Nope, Didn't work.
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

Usually you will find in release notes if a downgrade is not possible after applying the firmware.
So if you have to look up in 5.0.1.2145 and ALL previous release notes for any hint referring a downgrade.
Afaik a downgrade from a 5.0.1 to a 5.0.0 was seamless possible, but I did not do this myself.

Regards

Return to “Backup & Restore”