Backup to external USB Disk Question

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
blueskies
New here

Backup to external USB Disk Question

Post by blueskies »

Greetings all, I am the proud owner of a TS-409 Pro with firmware version:3.1.0 Build 0708T. I have a couple of external USB drives that I am using for off-site backups of the NAS, rotating them to ensure one is always offsite. I cannot use the one touch USB backup button feature because I have a few different shares I wish backed up. Hence I am using the backup to an external device feature. At first I thought that if I set it to auto-backup that it would only do this for disks connected to the front USB port which would be perfect, but now I find if I plug in any USB device to any port the NAS will start to back itself up to it. So I've had to turn of the auto-backup feature.

Is there any way of setting this thing to backup to only specific USB disks or disks connected to a specific USB port of the 3 available without having to go into the System Admin interface and manually kicking off a backup?

Thanks and Blueskies, Paul
QNAPJason
QNAP Staff

Re: Backup to external USB Disk Question

Post by QNAPJason »

Hi Paul,
Right now the automatic backup will detect every USB port.
Therefore, please switch to the manual backup method if you do not wish to backup the data each time you connect the external drives.

Jason
blueskies
New here

Re: Backup to external USB Disk Question

Post by blueskies »

Thanks for your prompt response Jason - much appreciated.

Can I ask whether it is planned to change this behaviour? If you were to ask my opinion, there are two possible ways of approaching this:

1. Be able to specify one of the USB ports as the "Backup" port to be used exclusively for this purpose.

OR

2. Be able to specify some type of flag on the USB drive itself designating it as a backup device (E.g. a specific file or folder name).

Of course there is a third option - enhance the USB One Touch Copy feature to allow the selection of multiple shares.

Thank you and Blueskies, Paul

Return to “Backup & Restore”