Netback replicator & error code 2

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
Neo
Starting out

Netback replicator & error code 2

Post by Neo »

Hello,

I am using the netback replicator (v3.1.2.827) to create daily backups of my files.

I only have one problem with it and that is that it refuses to backup some of my files and always gives an error on these same files. Although they are not in use at the moment of backup.

In the log it shows as this:
Error 2007/12/20 18:59:46 Failed to back up file "C:\Documents and Settings\neo\Mijn documenten\inhoud iomega.doc". Error code 2: Het systeem kan het opgegeven bestand niet vinden.
Error 2007/12/20 18:59:44 Failed to back up file "C:\Documents and Settings\neo\Mijn documenten\films.xls". Error code 2: Het systeem kan het opgegeven bestand niet vinden.
(There are more files that it won't backup but I only took these 2)

Now, as you can see, I have a dutch windows and the error translates as "The system can't find the specified file"

Now these are normal word and excel documents that are not in use and I can open them copy them do whatever I want with them but the replicator won't back them up and repeats this error message day after day always for the same set of files and sometimes files are added to the unable-to-backup-list, but the ones on that "list" never get backed up.

What's wrong and what can I do to resolve this?

Thank you for your help!
meiji
Getting the hang of things

Post by meiji »

Hello Neo,

Can you go to log page and click "Save As" button and mail the log file to us (meijichang@qnap.com) for analysis?

What's the OS that you are running? Is it XP or Vista?
Neo
Starting out

Post by Neo »

Send you the file as asked meiji. I'm using good old XP SP 2 as an OS.

Hope you find what's wrong & by the way... Merry Xmas to you guys!

I've only had my QNap for a short while but I'm otherwise very pleased with it and would reccomend it to anyone. I get a good vibe from you guys at QNap and this support forum is great.
Neo
Starting out

Post by Neo »

Short update.

Upgraded my NAS to firmware 1.1.5 and the files that previously woudn't backup now got backed-up.

So I thought the problem was gone. But no such luck. Again the same problem. New files that were created today don't get backed-up again. This problem is starting to annoy me. I don't feel safe if I don't have backups of the new files I create during the day. I could start using the backup of Windows XP itself but I would rather use the QNAP replicator.

Anyway it's a strange problem.
GreekGeek
New here

Re: Netback replicator & error code 2

Post by GreekGeek »

Your files are opened. You can't copy open files. Vista has Shadow copy (I think it's been pushed into XP as well with SPAC3). Anyway as long as a file is open it can't be backed up b/c of access rights. Close your files and or Word. Make sure those files are not shared out so as someone else has them open. If you are the only computer on your network this is not a problem. If not and you do share out folders you backup type:

net session

in the command prompt (cmd.exe from the Run under start button). This is the old "dos" like command prompt. You should get back "there are no entries"

At that point make sure if you have any media servers they are shutdown as they will also at times keep files open.

There are other backup programs (BackupGenie) that get around this with either other programs or now they use the windows shadow copy feature. At the same time these cost money, but when I got my TS101 a 1.5 years ago I was very unhappy with the fact that the software did not perform incremental/differential backups.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Pavlos

Return to “Backup & Restore”