Time Machine - A quick trouble shooting guide

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
notshy
Starting out

Time Machine - A quick trouble shooting guide

Post by notshy »

Hi guys,

I recently had an issue with my Time Machine back up on my QNAP 419P and immediately dived into the forums here to blame QNAP for the issue! After James Wu from the admin team remoting onto my machine and kindly sitting there for a long time while my Time Machine ran! It turns out that the problem was with OSX and some corrupted files that I had in my HD rather than anything to do with QNAP. So I thought that I'd post up some info here that I've learnt after going through all this and hopefully will help some of you guys if you run into any issues with Time Machine and figers cross it might get people in a good starting point when they contact that Admin's!

So firstly - CONSOLE
If you search for Console in spotlight or you can find it in Applications > Utilities. I'd never used this util before and I was amazed at the amount of info that was posted in there - including a log from Time Machine! So go ahead and open it up. You should see a Window a bit like this one:

If you click on "All Mess15/01/2011 23:20:39 com.apple.backupd[1244] Starting standard backupages" at the top then you will see everything that's posting a log. Now I'd go ahead and quit all other open apps to reduce the number of veriables that there could be that could cause and issue with Time Machine plus it also makes the log in Console easier to read as the only running app should be Time Machine's back up. Once you've quit all your apps (except Console) then Ctrl+click on the Time Machine icon in your dock and select "Start Back Up Now" and then head over to the Console window and take a look. Check out the processes "com.apple.backup" and you should see something like "Starting standard back up" and your QNAP being mounted. An easy way to see just the backup info is to type "backup" into the search bar in the top right.

Now let Time Machine run and keep an eye on console to see what info gets posted there. And there should be quite a detailed log of why your Time Machine failed. In my instance it was some files that I was storing on one of my HDs for a friend from his Windows laptop when he was re-formatting it. It turns out a couple of his files weren't in too good a shape and that was causing my Time Machine issues. So I just zipped up those bad files into a nice new zip file and restarted Time Machine and hey presto - it worked all the way through ! Until .....

Secondly - A tip for if Time Machine is stuck on "Finishing Backup"
This was because it was 3 months since I'd been able to back up and I'd backed up about 30 GB of new music tracks and I think Time Machine got a little upset that I'd left it so long! So I canceled my back up and ran it again, this time it only backed up 3MB worth of files and then still got stuck/hung again at "Finishing Backup" . So at least I knew that my files had been backed up (only wanted to back up 3MB the second time I ran it, rather than 30GB) but Time Machine was getting itself a bit stuck. So I did some searching and found the following guide:
http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?s ... 5025816745
The essence of the solution is to open up the backup media and find the file ending in '.inProgress' and then deleting that file. This will be on the backup volume inside the Backups.backupdb folder, and then in the subfolder for the machine and volume which was being backed up at the time of the hangup. These folders may be inside of a Sparse Disk Image if the backup goes to a Time Capsule or other network based backup volume. After rebooting the Mac Time Machine can then startup normally and perform its operations.
So I started Time Machine backing up again so that my "Time Machine backups" drive (blue/green icon with the circular arrow on) and I then went into the drive in Finder. I found the file called '.inProgress' - deleted it and then rebooted. Then on reboot I started Time Machine back up now again and this time it went all the way through, completed and shut itself down !!!

I hope this helps some of you guys out - console is a real winner and should at least point you in the right direction of why your back ups are failing!

Good luck!
:D
Custom built Mac Pro - i7 930 OC to 3.8 Ghz / 6GB Ram / X58A-UD3R (v2-FF) / OSX 10.9.3 / Windows 7 64 Bit Ultimate
QNAP TS-419P (4.1.3 build 0217) w 4 x 1TB in Raid 5
bserebin
Starting out

Re: Time Machine - A quick trouble shooting guide

Post by bserebin »

Thanks. Very helpful. Helped be solve a Time Machine backup (Mac OS X 10.6) that never ended by deleting the file called '.inProgress' and rebooting per your instructions.

-Ben
QNAPs owned: TS-110, TS-419+, TS-559, TS-659, & SS839
Interested in Microsoft Exchange Server & work near NYC, join the NY Exchange User Group http://www.nyexug.com
nitert
New here

Post by nitert »

Thank you so much . This tip saved my day.
TS-253 Pro : QTS 4.2.1 20160601 : 2GB RAM : (2) WD Red 3TB : RAID1
notshy
Starting out

Post by notshy »

Glad to help !
Custom built Mac Pro - i7 930 OC to 3.8 Ghz / 6GB Ram / X58A-UD3R (v2-FF) / OSX 10.9.3 / Windows 7 64 Bit Ultimate
steveanderson
First post

Post by steveanderson »

I have this same problem... Thank you so much for spelling this out for me. I will give it a shot tonight and hopefully I'll have a new backup by the end of the night.
donaljer
First post

Post by donaljer »

Thanks do much for this info. I'm going to give this a go straight away.
notshy
Starting out

Post by notshy »

@RobinJack007 ????? I don't understand your post - or are you just posting to get links from your signature?
Crush
Been there, done that

Post by Crush »

He's a spammer
Chris H
QNAP TS-453Be 4x4TB Ironwolf, 8GB RAM. QM2-2S10G1T, 2x Kingston m.2 240GB
QNAP TS-873 8x3TB WD Red, 2x Kingston m.2 240GB, 16GB RAM, MSI 1050Ti.
QNAP TS-419PII (firmware 3.6.0 build 0210). 4x Seagate ST33000651AS 3TB drives. Netgear GS108Tv2 switch, VirginMedia Netgear modem/router, APC 1500VA UPS.
QNAP TS-201 - still working but retired, QNAP 419PII also retired :)
Lian-Li EX-503 with 5 x 2TB Samsung HD204UI for backups
Main PC Gigabyte, 4790k, 32GB RAM, 30TB disks, Twin Dell 27" screens
notshy
Starting out

Post by notshy »

Just checking - I will report the post.

Mods - feel free to delete my posts once the spam is deleted too.
blkmrkt2
First post

Post by blkmrkt2 »

This is a "trouble shooting guide" related to ONE issue.

Another issue is that when you want to do a backup on Time Machine you don't login using one of your accounts when TimeMachine from the the system you want to backup prompts you for a "registered user" login and pass. You must login with TimeMachine and then the pass that you use to administrate the system - not too obvious, but in the user manual. Might want to put this actually on the admin screen QNAP.

R
ashooey
Starting out

Post by ashooey »

My time machine now cannot connect. It puts a -2 at the end of the network name and doesn't connect to it.
? how do I unmount it all or reset names? Thanks.
mercivoilaplease
New here

Post by mercivoilaplease »

notshy wrote:Hi guys,

I recently had an issue with my Time Machine back up on my QNAP 419P and immediately dived into the forums here to blame QNAP for the issue! After James Wu from the admin team remoting onto my machine and kindly sitting there for a long time while my Time Machine ran! It turns out that the problem was with OSX and some corrupted files that I had in my HD rather than anything to do with QNAP. So I thought that I'd post up some info here that I've learnt after going through all this and hopefully will help some of you guys if you run into any issues with Time Machine and figers cross it might get people in a good starting point when they contact that Admin's!

So firstly - CONSOLE
If you search for Console in spotlight or you can find it in Applications > Utilities. I'd never used this util before and I was amazed at the amount of info that was posted in there - including a log from Time Machine! So go ahead and open it up. You should see a Window a bit like this one:

If you click on "All Mess15/01/2011 23:20:39 com.apple.backupd[1244] Starting standard backupages" at the top then you will see everything that's posting a log. Now I'd go ahead and quit all other open apps to reduce the number of veriables that there could be that could cause and issue with Time Machine plus it also makes the log in Console easier to read as the only running app should be Time Machine's back up. Once you've quit all your apps (except Console) then Ctrl+click on the Time Machine icon in your dock and select "Start Back Up Now" and then head over to the Console window and take a look. Check out the processes "com.apple.backup" and you should see something like "Starting standard back up" and your QNAP being mounted. An easy way to see just the backup info is to type "backup" into the search bar in the top right.

Now let Time Machine run and keep an eye on console to see what info gets posted there. And there should be quite a detailed log of why your Time Machine failed. In my instance it was some files that I was storing on one of my HDs for a friend from his Windows laptop when he was re-formatting it. It turns out a couple of his files weren't in too good a shape and that was causing my Time Machine issues. So I just zipped up those bad files into a nice new zip file and restarted Time Machine and hey presto - it worked all the way through ! Until .....

Secondly - A tip for if Time Machine is stuck on "Finishing Backup"
This was because it was 3 months since I'd been able to back up and I'd backed up about 30 GB of new music tracks and I think Time Machine got a little upset that I'd left it so long! So I canceled my back up and ran it again, this time it only backed up 3MB worth of files and then still got stuck/hung again at "Finishing Backup" . So at least I knew that my files had been backed up (only wanted to back up 3MB the second time I ran it, rather than 30GB) but Time Machine was getting itself a bit stuck. So I did some searching and found the following guide:
http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?s ... 5025816745
The essence of the solution is to open up the backup media and find the file ending in '.inProgress' and then deleting that file. This will be on the backup volume inside the Backups.backupdb folder, and then in the subfolder for the machine and volume which was being backed up at the time of the hangup. These folders may be inside of a Sparse Disk Image if the backup goes to a Time Capsule or other network based backup volume. After rebooting the Mac Time Machine can then startup normally and perform its operations.
So I started Time Machine backing up again so that my "Time Machine backups" drive (blue/green icon with the circular arrow on) and I then went into the drive in Finder. I found the file called '.inProgress' - deleted it and then rebooted. Then on reboot I started Time Machine back up now again and this time it went all the way through, completed and shut itself down !!!

I hope this helps some of you guys out - console is a real winner and should at least point you in the right direction of why your back ups are failing!

Good luck!
:D
I am following your tutorial step by step ... I found the file called '.inProgress' as you said and tried to delete it ... but when I click delete - here comes trouble - nothing happens! Has this anything to do with the fact that it's a hidden file?
Your help would be very welcome ...

______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Computers are fast and stupid, humans slow and brilliant. Together they're powerful beyond imagination Free hosting
markb
Starting out

Post by markb »

I take no credit for this - it was posted by watt4 somewhere else on this forum - but in the case where you're hitting dead-ends, you're about to give up on the TM function on your NAS, you may want to 'hard' reset the TM server, this seems to solve all NAS-related TM issues.

Note this will delete all TM archive data in the process but likely one or more of these are what's causing your persistent issue (like me). If you are worried, follow the instructions on 'Changing HDD - Saving Time Machine backup' thread first to create a copy of your .timemachine folder (either on your NAS or externally).

Disable Time Machine backup from the NAS admin page
Disable Apple Networking (AFP) from NAS admin page (** I added this because I had issues connecting to NAS(AFP) service related to different user name / password between TM and other users)
Access the NAS via SSH in Terminal i.e. ssh admin@<ip of nas>
Delete the Time Machine files with the command:
rm -r /share/MD0_DATA/.timemachine
Enable Time Machine backup again (this will automatically restart your AFP service)
Restart your Mac and NAS (** I added this because I found that some residual processes on either NAS or Mac were interfering related to AFP access)
Run a Time Machine backup from your Mac

Hope that helps.
mpi
Getting the hang of things

Post by mpi »

If your TM backup had suffered from issues, it could be a good idea to repair the back-up or start a fresh one.

I found a very good TM backup repair script (sh & applescript) I wanted to share here:
http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/ ... sebundles/

It fixed many problems for me: hope this will help some of you.
Horrus
New here

Post by Horrus »

James From Qnap solved my problem and now everything is ok.

The only thing to do is :

connect with ssh
ssh admin@youripadress
go to directory : share/TMbackup
then remove this files
[/share/TMBackup] # rm .com.apple.timemachine.supported
[/share/TMBackup] # rm -rf .AppleDB/

Sorry for my bad English and tanks again dear James

Return to “Backup & Restore”