Does External USB Copy Verify Files?

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
DigitalOxygen.ca
Know my way around

Does External USB Copy Verify Files?

Post by DigitalOxygen.ca »

Does the copy operation under External Backup > External Drive do any kind of verification when copying the files?
Sarsfield
Starting out

Re: Does External USB Copy Verify Files?

Post by Sarsfield »

You can set the file verification (check file contents) when setting up the copy job. It probably lengthens the time appreciably but I have never tried it.
DigitalOxygen.ca
Know my way around

Are you sure that option is for verification and not comparison?
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

No, of course not. Why should it? It's copy.
I'm gone from this forum till QNAP stop wasting volunteers' time. Get help from QNAP helpdesk instead.
Warning: offensive signature and materials damaging QNAP reputation follow:
QNAP's FW security issues
QNAP's hardware compatibility list madness
QNAP's new logo competition
Dear QNAP, kindly fire your clueless incompetent forum "admin" And while at it, don't forget the webmaster!
DigitalOxygen.ca
Know my way around

Fair enough I suppose. The wording "check file contents" doesn't make it very clear though. Things like that shouldn't be left up to assumptions or wordplay. It should be phrased something like "verify copied files"
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

That's not what the option does, you completely misunderstood the reply. See man rsync(1)
Note that rsync always verifies that each transferred file was correctly reconstructed on the receiving side by checking a whole-file checksum that is generated as the file is transferred, but that automatic after-the-transfer verification has nothing to do with this option's before-the-transfer "Does this file need to be updated?" check.
With --checksum, rsync will use a checksum in addition - as opposed to just filesize/timestamp/mode/owner - to determine what's needs to be updated at the destination, before the transfer.
I'm gone from this forum till QNAP stop wasting volunteers' time. Get help from QNAP helpdesk instead.
Dear QNAP, kindly fire your clueless incompetent forum "admin" And while at it, don't forget the webmaster!
DigitalOxygen.ca
Know my way around

No, I understood the reply, I was just distracted when formulating mine and made a mistake :)

So the short answer is: Yes, the Copy operation verifies files by default.

This would also be somewhat clearer if it was more clearly stated that the Copy operation actually uses rsync. Based on it's name it sounds more like it uses the cp command or something else. Had I known it used rsync I never would have asked the question because I aware of rsync's default write verification functionality.

Also, verification and comparison are not the same. When you said "You can set the file verification (check file contents) when setting up the copy job." That was misleading. It seems you were speaking of the comparison of the file contents done up front to determine if the file should be copied.
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

DigitalOxygen.ca wrote:When you said "You can set the file verification (check file contents) when setting up the copy job." That was misleading. It seems you were speaking of the comparison of the file contents done up front to determine if the file should be copied.
That wasn't me in the first place... :P
DigitalOxygen.ca
Know my way around

Huh, well look at that. The way the replies flowed together it just seemed like it was. I honestly didn't look at the usernames that time.
jfneuch
Starting out

Post by jfneuch »

Hello,
In the latest firmware (4.2.2 20160901), there is no more choice to verify or not before copying.
Does anyone know if the fonction copy inclue md5 cheksum ?
Thank very much to whom who take time to answer me
Jean
sjohund
New here

Post by sjohund »

Why nobody answer? Is there anybody?
DigitalOxygen.ca
Know my way around

I got this response from support way back in 2016. Haven't used that feature in a long time so can't comment on the missing verify option.
QNAP: There's no check sum for rsync or NAS to NAS either. However, there's file level block check after data coped to destination.

Me: So when you say "file level block check" does that mean that it verifies each block was written correctly to the destination (i.e. reads it back)?

QNAP: Yes, it compares the blocks between source and destination to make sure data has been synchronized to destination correctly.

Return to “Backup & Restore”