MAC OSX 10.9 (Maverick) - Time Machine issues

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
sirozha
Know my way around

Re: MAC OSX 10.9 (Maverick) - Time Machine issues

Post by sirozha »

I tried to back up a (Late) 2012 Mac Mini (with Fusion Drive), which I also upgraded to OS 10.9 (Mavericks) yesterday - before I realized that there was an issue with Time Machine backups in Mavericks and QNAP. Strangely enough, the Mac Mini had absolutely no problems backing up to the existing sparsebundle on the TMBackup share after it was upgraded to Mavericks. I did not have to manually mount this share as I had with my MacBook Pro. However, I did not "Remove Disk" in Time Machine preferences on the Mac Mini as I did in MacBook Pro. Mac Mini is connected to the network via a Gigabit Ethernet connection unlike the MacBook Pro that was connected to the network via Wi-Fi. I am not going to try to "Remove Disk" in Time Machine Preferences just to see if it would mount the TMBackup share by itself. I'm just happy that the Mac that holds all of our videos and photos is continuing to back up to QNAP via Time Machine.

I'm not sure at this point what's happening between Maverick's Time Machine and QNAP's firmware. The score right now is 50/50. I have two more Macs that are still running 10.8.4 - one is another MacBook Pro, and the other one is a VM running under ESXi on another Mac Mini. I think I will stick with Mountain Lion for now on these two Macs before someone figures out what's happening here. Additionally, I have a pretty comprehensive Cisco VoIP lab running under ESXi on the second Mac Mini with the luns residing on the iSCSI target provided by QNAP. If QNAP fixes this Time Machine issue in their 4.x firmware, I cannot upgrade easily from 3.8.3 to 4.x because I will be risking my lab. This already happened to me once when I was using Netgear ReadyNAS Pro. One of the firmware upgrades killed the reliable iSCSI target function, and I had to rebuild my lab 5 times or so during a year and a half because of constant iSCSI target crashes that would occasionally kill my VMs.
Last edited by sirozha on Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
manish
First post

Post by manish »

Hello All,

Please tell me that this will be fixed for TS-409 Pro - 3.3.2 also.

I am able to start backup after a full reset, but it doesnt complete.

Please help.
conradolima
New here

Post by conradolima »

xavierh wrote:i managed to get it working with the latest beta but i had to basically redo the whole sparse bundle before i could get it to work again...
was able to complete the backup but now mavericks says that after verification my backup needs to be done all over again... crazy
Desperate-Paul
Getting the hang of things

Post by Desperate-Paul »

Hello All

I had the same issue - afp not working, Time Machine not working, couldn't connect to the Time Machine Share in finder on my 419P II with OS Mavericks. I use two Macs and a raspberry pi running an XBMC media center to connect to the mac (also via afp. It runs on smb normally, but I changed the setting to see if the problem is Mac related and hence to find the problem; I am no good in detailed computer work, so I thought I just try to eliminate possibilities). The raspberry also didn't get the afp connection anymore, so I think it is not necessarily a Mac-to-QNAP issue. After I installed the QFIX for Time Machine it worked literally once to make a backup and connect to afp and then stopped working again. Couldn't find the share, backup didn't even start..

I followed all the tipps in this thread that are terminal related - nothing worked.

My solution: Contacted QNAP support. She remote controlled into my system, hacked around in the terminal for 45 minutes (I didn't understand a single thing, but it was nothing of the stuff described her in the forum so far - from what I could recognise at least) and during that time also updated me to the 4.1.0 beta.

--- Now it's working again --- (Yay! - and a thousand thanks to QNAP support once more!).

I realise this is not giving direct help to anybody (maybe the fact with the XBMC is a pointer to someone though). Just want to let you know that there seems to be a solution out there even if the QFIX is not working.

Cheers,
Paul
talbot
New here

Post by talbot »

similar story here.
869Pro with 4.0.2.
couldn't backup after updating to maverick then updating to 4.0.2
installed qfix and was able to get one successful backup right after installing qfix, then wouldn't work again.

please advise on a fix as someday I'd like to backup all my mac's again without having to find an alternate solution.
ivox
Starting out

Post by ivox »

Thanks, Qfix worked!
rshanahan
Starting out

Post by rshanahan »

Well, I ended up upgrading (testing) to Beta 4.1 due to another issue I had with, or thought I had with Esata drives. Anyway, decided to re-try time machine w/Mavericks. The backup set for my laptop was previously deleted, so I attempted to create a new one. It failed after 2gb of data transfer (generic message). I thought I would try something outside of the box. I deleted the backup set again, then I RENAMED my macbook and rebooted it. Initiated a new backup and went out for about 3 hours to run some errands (it had gotten up to almost 5gb progress by the time I left). When I arrived home, I checked and the backup was successful, and it had backed up every hour since. I forced another backup, ran fine. I rebooted the macbook and made some changes (checked emails, etc.) and forced another backup. It ran ok.

I'm still not convinced but figured I'd update this thread. I did NOT apply the qfix as I figured it wasn't valid for 4.1b
Rcktsctst
Starting out

Post by Rcktsctst »

@Valles - thanks! This worked for me. Do you also know how to set the Encrypt Backups option using the command line?

Rob
drengfer
Starting out

Post by drengfer »

As noted previously, "Results may be unpredictable."

It appears that the backups run fine for awhile, then crap out with the same "already in use" error. Frankly, I can't figure out what stimulates the change to the failed state. My working hypothesis is that the backups run fine as long as I'm not trying to do anything else with the computer that causes it to connect to the network shares (via Finder, e.g.). Of course, that means that the backups are of minimal use, since I've made no changes on the computer!

Really need a mainstream (i.e., not Beta), tested, proven fix to this, please!
garbia
Starting out

Post by garbia »

conradolima wrote:
xavierh wrote:i managed to get it working with the latest beta but i had to basically redo the whole sparse bundle before i could get it to work again...
was able to complete the backup but now mavericks says that after verification my backup needs to be done all over again... crazy
same problem here......all old backups are gone

If you see a message that you must create a new backup

A problem has occurred that prevents Time Machine from using the existing backup.

To try to retrieve data from the existing backup, click Back Up Later. Then open the Time Machine menu in the menu bar, and choose Enter Time Machine. Browse the star field to retrieve files. Time Machine will prompt you again later to start a new backup.
To create a new backup, click Start New Backup. Your existing backup is deleted, and your data is fully backed up only after the new backup is completed.
If you back up to a Time Capsule, check the Apple Support website to be sure you have the most current available firmware.

A backup verification failure can also be caused by the use of network backup solutions from manufacturers other than Apple, or by a hardware problem with the backup disk.