Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
Tamadite
Starting out

Re: MAC OSX 10.9 (Maverick) - Time Machine issues

Post by Tamadite »

Just for the records:

QNAP TS-219P Ver 3.8.3 (Build 20130426)
Macintosh running on Yosemite (10.10.2)

I got Time Machine to recognize QNAP (TMBackup) by running the following on Macintosh terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo tmutil setdestination -ap afp://TimeMachine@NAS.local/TMBackup
where NAS.local is shall be replaced by the IP of the QNAP.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Tamadite wrote:QNAP TS-219P Ver 3.8.3 (Build 20130426)
No comment - we're two years ahead now. No such hacks and fixes required in general. Some older "hacks" caused the normal process to fail and had to be reverted in the past. 3.8.3 is vulnerable, and has many known issues - completely depreciated.
worstnasever212
First post

Post by worstnasever212 »

Hey guys,

Hoping someone can put me out of this misery! Purchased a TS212 back in 2011 and worst decision ever! So basically backed up all my pictures etc onto the when i was using ML. Well upgraded to Mavericks and that was it basically. The darn thing wouldn't recognise the NAS. Anyways didn't have time to mess around so unplugged the NAS which was useless and parked it until the folk at QNAP fixed things. So now i'm running Mavericks on my macbook pro 13" (early 2011 model) and i upgraded to a SSD and put the old drive in the DVD drive compartment. I managed to install Snow Leopard onto the old HDD and the plan is to somehow install the TM back up copy i made all those years ago onto the original HDD so i can salvage my pictures etc. Which i was stupid enough to true iPhoto with! So always the issue is when i try to restore the old HDD from the TM backup it just doesn't recognise the drive which is on 4.2 firmware (latest). Has anyone got the cleanest way to do this? I just wanna get the old HDD restored to how it was and then get the data and i can keep using my SSD the way it is without causing any problems to my current configuration.

Thanks and God bless!
fleubis
Starting out

Post by fleubis »

My TS-870 Pro has several Mac's running Maverick connected to it and they all backup to it just fine.

My problem is that I need to do a full restore to a fresh disk in a Mackbook using MacBook's "Startup Menu". I am presented with the option to select the TMBackup to restore from and asked to enter the usual user ID and password combination. I can't get past this point. I am aware this is supposed to be the userID/password created for the TMBackup user. All that happens is that I see the Connect button flickering a bit. Click on that button and I get to start again. Getting nowhere with this. I've even tried deleting the password and I'm still stuck.

All this time and wasted energy for a non-accessible backup! Don't suppose anyone out there has tried this type of restore?
fleubis
Starting out

Post by fleubis »

Further clarification on the Time Machine restore (above). Click on"Connect" products this message: "There was a problem connecting to the server xxxNAS.local. Server may not exist or it is unavailable at this time. Check thee server name or IP address, check your network connection, and then try again."

But of course the NAS is present--that's how it found the backup in the first place. Am wondering if there is a problem with my naming convention.....or something...else....
fleubis
Starting out

Post by fleubis »

Problem solved. UserID is hard coded to "TimeMachine" and not TMBackup which is the display name. With userID "TimeMachine" and my user created password restore works perfectly through the QNAP NAS.
Philipd
Getting the hang of things

Post by Philipd »

Hi Fleubis,

Are you able to connect to the TimeMachine as user 'TimeMachine' and at the same time connect to the other shares using a different user name all using AFP, or do you use SMB ?
TS-x53A

Return to “Backup & Restore”