How to Exclude Folders from Backup?

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
onesmallstep1966
Getting the hang of things

How to Exclude Folders from Backup?

Post by onesmallstep1966 »

I've setup an external drive backup on my TS-469 Pro and everything works fine except that I want to exclude the following folders from the backup using the Filters option but I can't work out how to do it.

@Recycle
.DS_Store
.AppleDouble

So far (and I've searched these forums to the best of my ability) I can't find a solution. Can anyone help?
onesmallstep1966

Re: How to Exclude Folders from Backup?

With nearly 200 views and no replies to my question I'm beginning to think this can't be done? Can anyone confirm this so at least I can stop looking for a solution :D
QNAP TVS-672XT Upgraded to 16GB RAM connected via Thunderbolt 3 to Late 2018 MacBook Pro
M.2 Bays = 2 x Samsung 1TB EVO 970 NVMe (RAID 0 for Super-Fast TB3 FCPX editing volume)
Bays 1-6 = 3 x Samsung 1TB EVO 960 SATA and 3 x Seagate 10TB IronWolf (RAID 5 + Qtier)

QNAP TR-004 - Backup device including RTRR for RAID 0 volume
JBOD = 1 x Seagate 10TB IronWolf 1 x Seagate 6TB IronWolf
onesmallstep1966

I worked it out so I thought I'd post the solution in case anyone else needs to use it.

Just to reiterate, what I wanted to do was remove the temporary files and folders from the external backup that OS X leaves behind (I have also excluded the Google Drive Sync temporary files too).

Add the following to the "Other" box in the "Exclude file types" Filter section.

.grive_state .DS_Store /.trash /@Recycle /.AppleDB /.AppleDesktop /.AppleDouble ._*
QNAP TVS-672XT Upgraded to 16GB RAM connected via Thunderbolt 3 to Late 2018 MacBook Pro
M.2 Bays = 2 x Samsung 1TB EVO 970 NVMe (RAID 0 for Super-Fast TB3 FCPX editing volume)
Bays 1-6 = 3 x Samsung 1TB EVO 960 SATA and 3 x Seagate 10TB IronWolf (RAID 5 + Qtier)

QNAP TR-004 - Backup device including RTRR for RAID 0 volume
JBOD = 1 x Seagate 10TB IronWolf 1 x Seagate 6TB IronWolf
RogerW17
First post

Post by RogerW17 »

Thanks for this post, saved me a lot of time experimenting and I'm not sure I'd ever have tried a leading /. :)
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

onesmallstep1966 wrote:With nearly 200 views and no replies to my question I'm beginning to think this can't be done? Can anyone confirm this so at least I can stop looking for a solution :D
Sorry about that. I've been ignoring this thread, simply because it provided no information whatsoever. In fact it still doesn't.
  1. No Firmware Version/Build information.
  2. No Backup Software information. (Talking about Backup Station perhaps?)
  3. No Operating System information provided. (Until you posted your "solution").
Enough said. Glad you figured it out.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
carter76
New here

Post by carter76 »

Thanks for this, just what I was looking for...

I have simply exluded /.* and /@recycle. Works a treat.

Fairly straight forward and OS/FW independent I would have thought! Shame the manual couldn't have been more specific in how to specify folders for exclusion. Good to know that there are people out there willing to help.
nacer
New here

Post by nacer »

onesmallstep1966 wrote:I worked it out so I thought I'd post the solution in case anyone else needs to use it.

Just to reiterate, what I wanted to do was remove the temporary files and folders from the external backup that OS X leaves behind (I have also excluded the Google Drive Sync temporary files too).

Add the following to the "Other" box in the "Exclude file types" Filter section.

.grive_state .DS_Store /.trash /@Recycle /.AppleDB /.AppleDesktop /.AppleDouble ._*
Thank you. I had the same problem :)
wilbbrasil
First post

Post by wilbbrasil »

onesmallstep1966 wrote:I worked it out so I thought I'd post the solution in case anyone else needs to use it.

Thanks. Same problem (solved) here.
:)
childnode
New here

Post by childnode »

shouldn't the string of excluded files / directories splitted by a comma instead of a space?

unfortunatly help document does say nothing http://docs.qnap.com/nas/4.0/en/index.h ... backup.htm
but popup over "Other" tells me "Enter the file name. Separate the file names with comma (,). For example, test*.*, abc.doc, *.html."
lleone
New here

Post by lleone »

Great! It worked!
Realy thank you and I hope this will be documented sonner or later!

Luca.
Luca

---
TS-453Pro 4.2.1 build 20160201, 16GBram
3xWD60EFRX (raid 5) firmware 82.00A82 -> Storage Pool 1 10.90TB -> DataVol1 (System) 10.80TB
trunk1 = eth1+eth2 / alb (static via dhcp reservation)
trunk2 = eth3+eth4 / tlb - VMs bridge, Virtual Switch 1
ethan11james
New here

Post by ethan11james »

simply by these steps we can exclude these folder need to recover them. just in few steps able to exclude all folder thanks for it
George T
New here

Post by George T »

Hi,
I am having trouble understanding the syntax to exclude folders. I've tried a couple of variations but the folder keeps getting backed up.
I have a folder down in a share. The share name is "la".
The folder I want to exclude is "Marketing Images",and everything in it, and the full path is:
\\Cad-9\la\Current\CURRENT PROJECTS - ADMIN\EOI\MARKETING IMAGES
This is the path as it appears in a Windows explorer window.
When I look through File Station in the Qnap browser interface I see Cad-9, underneath it I see Volume 1 and then the list of top level shares of which "LA" (yes in caps) is one.

So, my question is: What exactly do I type into the "Others" box in the external drive backup filter?

Thank you.

Model TS 219PII
Win 10
Firmware 4.2.0
George T
New here

Post by George T »

Uhm, thanks for the response, but I'm not sure how that addresses my specific question.
And by the way, mentioned specifically I have Windows, not a Mac.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

George T wrote:Uhm, thanks for the response, but I'm not sure how that addresses my specific question.
It wasn't meant to. It's just a clueless spammer trying to establish an account here. Let's hope the admins kick him/her/it out of here before the spam phase begins...
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
George T
New here

Post by George T »

OH, OK.

Return to “Backup & Restore”