DS and QVPN

Post your questions about BT download, FTP download, HTTP download, or QGet download software here.
Meestor_X
New here

DS and QVPN

Post by Meestor_X » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:51 am

I see the dropdown which allows you to select a VPN service that you created with QVPN. It lets me set that.

However, when I then run Download Station, I don't see a connection indicated in the connections tab of QVPN. Is it actually using the VPN? If so, shouldn't I see some sort of indication in QVPN?

Moogle Stiltzkin
Ask me anything

Re: DS and QVPN

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:33 am

i'll give you an example how qvpn can be used.

with qvpn i can add my privateinternetaccess vpn subscription account to it, using the openvpn file ovpn to qvpn. when thats added and logged in, you can then either

1. make the qvpn active vpn your default active gateway. meaning all internet traffic on the qnap is routed through your vpn connection

2. DO NOT make it the gateway. meaning that you have vpn running, but it's not routing your qnap traffic through vpn. So you would instead go to appcenter, then for the download station, there is a pulldown menu where you can then select to use the QVPN to route your traffic only for that app, or any other apps that you setup in this way.

That is how it works.

PIA is a subscription based VPN, with their servers located in many different countries. the purpose is, i use their internet via a tunnel, so that my isp does not know what i am using my broadband for since it's encrypted. It also provides me a foreign ip address. So that is how it works.

So the PIA VPN in qvpn would be added under the VPN client settings.

I guess if you had 2 qnaps, one of which is offsite and setup with a QVPN server vpn. You can then login to that via qvpn, and gain a similar benefit. This is fine for like a secure connection to your offsite vpn, if that is the intent for your usage for vpn.

But seeing as you are planning on using downloadstation with vpn, then i guess your intent is downloading anonymity? i would then suggested just getting a vpn subscription which has MANY many servers. I would suggest surkshark
https://surfshark.com/

anyhow, once you get your vpn setup you can test that it works by

1. check virtual network, confirm your ip. This is only IF you are using QVPN as the default gateway, if not do step 2.
2. go to ipleak, download the torrent magnet with download station. then check the ip whether it is using the VPN or your real ip
https://ipleak.net/

Make sure in virtual network for your qnap that you disable ipv6. i find that enabling that tends to leak out your real ip. best to disable.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS (HDN724040ALE640) & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 + 16gb ddr4 Crucial + QWA-AC2600 wireless adapter.
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A w. 5x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-659 Pro II 1x 4TB HGST Deskstar NAS
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-228 w. 1x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS)
[^] QNAP TS-128
Mobile NAS TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Asus AC68U Router|100dl/50ul MBPS FTTH Internet | Windows 10, WC PC-Intel i7 920 Ivy bridge desktop (1x 512gb Samsung 850 Pro SSD + 1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Guides & articles
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review

https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin

MonkeyHarris
First post

Post by MonkeyHarris » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:01 pm

I finally managed to get this working the other day after trying several different combinations from PIA OpenVPN and it now connects fine allowing me to point Download station at the new VPN connection.

I now have a problem with getting downloads to start though. If I drop some magnet links into DLS they just sit there showing the meta data doing nothing. This only occurs when using the PIA VPN. If I then tell DLS not to use the VPN they will all start downloading correctly and pick up the correct links. I then stop all downloads reconnect DLS to the VPN again and they all carry on fine.

The problem seems to be getting DLS to do something with Magnet Link initially when using the VPN.

Does that make sense? If so any ideas? I have TS-251a latest firmware on DLS and OS.

DoorMoon
New here

Post by DoorMoon » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:27 am

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:33 am
i'll give you an example how qvpn can be used.

2. DO NOT make it the gateway. meaning that you have vpn running, but it's not routing your qnap traffic through vpn. So you would instead go to appcenter, then for the download station, there is a pulldown menu where you can then select to use the QVPN to route your traffic only for that app, or any other apps that you setup in this way.

I have tried to right click on BrowseStation and I havn't the option to choose QVPN to route your traffic like I have in Download Station , why is that ?

Also , on Downloadstation with VPN that connected VIA L2TP Protocol , why something this show in QVPN that is connected but it lost the IP and so the downloadstation not download and I need to Disconnect & Reconnect again that it will start , Why is that happen ?

Thanks Very Much .

Moogle Stiltzkin
Ask me anything

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:16 am

torrent downloads work correctly for PIA if you use their torrent specific servers e.g. Canada.

at least thats what i observed when testing on torrentday private torrent tracker. it doesn't begin seeding properly until switching to the canada torrent compatible servers :'

you should be using openvpn.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnV-_BN9OkE

as for magnet links not working. one possible cause is trackers are dead or unreachable. if you check your torrent client status, you should be able to observe the tracker status.

You can always just download the torrent instead of the magnet instead perhaps?

https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/co ... ittorrent/
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS (HDN724040ALE640) & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 + 16gb ddr4 Crucial + QWA-AC2600 wireless adapter.
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A w. 5x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-659 Pro II 1x 4TB HGST Deskstar NAS
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-228 w. 1x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS)
[^] QNAP TS-128
Mobile NAS TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Asus AC68U Router|100dl/50ul MBPS FTTH Internet | Windows 10, WC PC-Intel i7 920 Ivy bridge desktop (1x 512gb Samsung 850 Pro SSD + 1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Guides & articles
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review

https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin

Return to “Download Station and QGet”