Help QNAP improve download function

Post your questions about BT download, FTP download, HTTP download, or QGet download software here.
ScottMM
New here

Re: Help QNAP improve download function

Post by ScottMM »

I would love to help out if possible - being a developer myself I understand how difficult it can be to find stubborn bugs.

I started a torrent today at 15:47 - it is now 19:26 - in 3 hours 40 min my ts-410 has downloaded at an average speed of 7 kb/s 172mb of 1017 mb.

I got bored waiting so I loaded the same torrent in uTorrent on my laptop - all 1017 mb downloaded with a max speed of 4.8 mBs (yes, megabytes / second) and an average of 811 kb/s in only 30 min.

I love my nas, have almost filled it to capacity and am looking to upgrade to a 6 or 8 disk version - but currently the download station is a deal breaker. As I say I will help if possible - If I can download some files on my nas and comp and send back the stats let me know.

Regards,
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Talking of when NAS firmware resp. Download Station here?
ScottMM wrote:I started a torrent today at 15:47 - it is now 19:26 - in 3 hours 40 min my ts-410 has downloaded at an average speed of 7 kb/s 172mb of 1017 mb.
Port forwarding, CPU power available, memory available, and I/O the box can do - even worse when a file system is well stuffed already. From this prospective, the direct comparison s**x.
ScottMM
New here

Post by ScottMM »

schumaku wrote:Talking of when NAS firmware resp. Download Station here?
ScottMM wrote:I started a torrent today at 15:47 - it is now 19:26 - in 3 hours 40 min my ts-410 has downloaded at an average speed of 7 kb/s 172mb of 1017 mb.
Port forwarding, CPU power available, memory available, and I/O the box can do - even worse when a file system is well stuffed already. From this prospective, the direct comparison s**x.

Running the most recent 3.8 firmware, the disk has about 800 gb free, the memory currently 22.6%, ports all forwarded correctly, upnp enabled, CPU idling around about 15%, io the box can do, Jesus tell me a gigabit connection is not as good as the 450 wireless my laptop can manage?

What exactly are you smoking? I kinda want some... The day any of those things causes a drop from a possible consistent 2 megabytes per second to 0.0012 megabytes per second is a very bad day...

Now 21:01 only 431 mb downloaded, it's only going to take another 7.5 hours.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Well, provide better information and "almost full" next time :shock:

Many things can go mad - the tracker might not like the QNAP BT library, or whatever. No problems almost saturating a 100/20 Mb link, ok, some fatter NAS.
ScottMM
New here

Post by ScottMM »

schumaku wrote:Well, provide better information and "almost full" next time :shock:
Point.
ScottMM
New here

Post by ScottMM »

Hey, so more info.

I had a thought that maybe my port forwarding was not working correctly - I had the ports 9881-9999 set, so I reset them to 6881-6999.

I ran a download and got 100KB/s as shown:
Capture.PNG
I'm still not 100% happy because it should be a lot faster but its a start. I also removed my port forwarding rule but upnp did not automatically forward any ports other than 1732 (i think - doing this from memory) which is not BT, so I suspect that the upnp in the bt lib is not working, whereas the upnp in the mycloud is working correctly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jasell
Starting out

Post by jasell »

Hi Have some requets to Download station and Qget.

1. In Qget, when showing the torrent files when creating a task, please add the funtion to Unselect/select all, as you have in Download station.

2. Add a setting to for wether new task should be added as Paused or Active.

3. Improve the Remove function. Make sure the downloaded files are moved to the specificed Move-To location.

4. Please re-instate the setting for a default Move-To location for each download task type (Torrent/Ftp etc etc).

5. Make added Task show up emidiatly in the task list, sometimes in can go many minutes before they show up (without any significant load on the NAS but severeal active tasks), maybe these will require a new status will initiating, like "New" or "Pending" or whatver. Sometimes you add the same task once more because you forgot you added it and you can't see it in the list.
NAS: QNAP TS-459U+ fw 4.2.4 (4x 2TB, RAID5)
Services: LMS 7.9.0, SSOTS 4.14
Squeezebox: 6x Recivers, 3x Boom, 2x SB3 Classic
Other: iPeng on iPhones/iPads
erdems
New here

Post by erdems »

Hey there,

I believe most (if not all) of the woes are caused by curl on this one.

The quickest example would be download from rapidshare premium, which writes around 10-12MB of data per second to the drive over a 120mbps cable connection.

Download station max speed: 1.2MB (translating to ~10mbps)
wget download from qnap shell, same URL's max speed: 10MB (~80mbps).

The performance loss with curl does not seem to depend on protocol, at least no difference between http and https so far.

Cheers,
centry
New here

Post by centry »

Why can't i set the update time for RSS to lower than 12 hours - for example once every 15 minutes?!
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

..because of good behaviour of an RSS reader/downloader is to use the minimum refresh defined in the feed itself.
spalvic
First post

Post by spalvic »

Would it be possible to specify individual folder to download into when you are setting up the individual torrent, or even when setting up rss downloads. Currently, all downloads go into one folder only.
This is a very useful feature that exists in uTorrent, (Save in: ... ) and would be great to have on Download Station. This would save having to move the downloaded files into the appropriate folder after the download completes.
compusger
Starting out

Post by compusger »

I remember that i requested exactly this feature as it is so inconvenient to have everything in only one download folder.

I got nearly attracked by one user, claiming that this requested, and working! feature is already implemented.

Well, whatever i do, i do chose the download share in QGet but everything still remains in the default download share......

Well done QNap. i also followed the Heise.de article with a smile, as i figured out about many security breaches by myself.

Conclusion: QNap does not really care about professional bugtracking and security, everything that seem to count are the marketing slogans and to get SoHo users.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

compusger wrote:I got nearly attracked by one user, claiming that this requested, and working! feature is already implemented.
Global and per per-download does certainly allow to define a move to another share as per the documentation - worked and works like a charm for me (and many other users).
QTS4_DS_move_to_share_ok.PNG
BT download, seed rate reached - file is moved to the share defined ad-hoc while adding the job in this example.
compusger wrote:Well, whatever i do, i do chose the download share in QGet but everything still remains in the default download share......
If it does not work for you - I'm sorry, it's obviously not a generic bug - so ranting here in the forum is rather useless.

Might be a QGet issue, a QGet to NAS communication issue, or whatever. Contact QNAP Customer Service for assistance and bug report in case they can recognize the issue. This is only a QNAP NAS community forum. For my part, I'm glad to push a bug recognized - but hard to provide proof if things are working...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
omega368
Starting out

Post by omega368 »

It would be great to add in the functionality to add torrent files from local directories on the NAS.

As it stands now, when you click on the "+" add button, a dialogue box opens allowing you to add files from the local directory on the computer.

However, I am accessing the NAS using my cloud nas from a remote location and i want to add torrent files stored on the nas, I can't.

Cheers,

Ken
erdems
New here

Post by erdems »

not to sound like a broken record, but I still believe curl to be the culprit of most (if not all) performance issues.

The exact same download links perform over 10mb/s (I have ~100mbps downlink) with wget from CLI whereas download station (a.k.a) speed varies between 10k to 15k. I've even took the curl command from ps output and eliminated the GUI as a potential resource hogger, to no avail.

Cheers,
Erdem

Return to “Download Station and QGet”