Help QNAP improve download function

Post your questions about BT download, FTP download, HTTP download, or QGet download software here.
tha_lode
Getting the hang of things

Re: Help QNAP improve download function

Post by tha_lode »

You should have a look at deluge.
http://deluge-torrent.org/

Amazing torrent app.

All those features are what I want in a download program on the qnap.
Qnap TS209II (fw: 3.3)
Used as homeserver. Mainly streaming movies, Music & pictures.
photoman
Starting out

Post by photoman »

It took me quite a while to get the TS-219P and one of the main reasons was for BT downloads, but as many have already said, it is very poor in its implementation. I noticed that this thread was started in October 2007 and one of the first few requests was to have more than 10 downloads. I'm using the latest build of the firmware and we're still stuck on 10 downloads. Other improvements I would like to see are as follows:

- more than 10 downloads
- option to select multiple torrents and pause/restart them (we have rubbish broadband speeds, so would like to be able to pause the torrents)
- easier way to promote priority of a torrent
- a share ratio or something better than 1024 hours!
- selectable folder location for files. I would rather have folders for various themes (e.g. F1, WRC, etc) rather than sifting through dozens and dozens of files looking for the right one to view.

Even if some of the requests in this thread could be released it would at least show that QNAP are doing something. What's the point in asking people for their opinion on how to improve their product, if they don't do anything. Two and a half years later and how many features have been added to the product.

Sorry for the rant, but it took a lot of persuasion to manage to get the unit. It would be nice if it was easier to use and didn't hog my entire broadband. A simple 'Pause Torrents" button would be nice on the main screen.
Mr_Angry
Getting the hang of things

Post by Mr_Angry »

What is the latest in terms of getting a new Download Station client? I've been looking at rtorrent++ but due to the firmware on my TS-219P it won't work and I don't feel like going to a previous or beta version. I'm just tired of hearing from my girlfriend "when I use Bit Torrent it's faster...". I get that the Download Station app isn't as full-featured but the download speeds are 5-7x slower than Bit Torrent on the same network and the fact we use another computer to help seed our TS-219P along defeats the whole purpose of having one.

Really, there is eight pages of this thread alone and countless others asking about updates and feature suggestions. I've seen mention that a new firmware update is going to have a v2 of the download station--is there an ETA on this? Is there a beta we can help test? Really, at this stage the download station is woefully lacking relative to alternatives and I'm actively looking for anything to replace it if there isn't a better download station. I'd gladly pay for a port of a better client even.

QNAP, any updates?
AndyChuo
Experience counts

Post by AndyChuo »

Mr_Angry wrote:What is the latest in terms of getting a new Download Station client? I've been looking at rtorrent++ but due to the firmware on my TS-219P it won't work and I don't feel like going to a previous or beta version. I'm just tired of hearing from my girlfriend "when I use Bit Torrent it's faster...". I get that the Download Station app isn't as full-featured but the download speeds are 5-7x slower than Bit Torrent on the same network and the fact we use another computer to help seed our TS-219P along defeats the whole purpose of having one.

Really, there is eight pages of this thread alone and countless others asking about updates and feature suggestions. I've seen mention that a new firmware update is going to have a v2 of the download station--is there an ETA on this? Is there a beta we can help test? Really, at this stage the download station is woefully lacking relative to alternatives and I'm actively looking for anything to replace it if there isn't a better download station. I'd gladly pay for a port of a better client even.

QNAP, any updates?
Hi Mr_Angry,

By updating to the latest official fw for ARM (v3.2.5) the rtorrent++ works 100% without any issues. As for the news on the Download Station v2 we are currently still working on it and before this is launched rtorrent++ is of our best recommended torrent client at the moment. Sorry for the lack of functionality in our current client and we will dedicate ourselves to release something very close to rtorrent++ for the built-in torrent clients asap. Please bear with us for a little longer on this one.

Regards

Andy
=============================================================>>>
TS-659-Pro [RAID6] rtorrent+SABnzbdplus+SickBeard+Couchpotato [Best PVR] Plex+PMS [Ultimate Streamer]
Apple iPad [Best Tablet] HTC One M8 [Mobile Phone] Samsung UA46ES6100 [My Screen] KRK Rokit 6 [Audio Speakers]
Chrome Cast [Screen Casting] Philips Hue [Personal Lighing]
Buffalo WZR-1750DHP [My Wifi Hub] D-Link DGS-1005D [Gbit Network]
=============================================================>>>
gore-
Know my way around

Post by gore- »

Mr_Angry wrote:What is the latest in terms of getting a new Download Station client? I've been looking at rtorrent++ but due to the firmware on my TS-219P it won't work and I don't feel like going to a previous or beta version. I'm just tired of hearing from my girlfriend "when I use Bit Torrent it's faster...". I get that the Download Station app isn't as full-featured but the download speeds are 5-7x slower than Bit Torrent on the same network and the fact we use another computer to help seed our TS-219P along defeats the whole purpose of having one.

QNAP, any updates?
Since rtorrent++ was not useable anymore due to the firmware compatibility, I have tried transmission.
and, really, it's the best I have tried.
I have wrote a "how to" in french here : http://forum.qnapclub.fr/topic/182-inst ... nsmission/,
and you can found informations in english here :
http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=12122

it take a few minutes ti install, and you can try transmission-remote-dotnet ( http://code.google.com/p/transmission-remote-dotnet/ ), so useful !

My PC is now powered off :)

QNAP TS-219 [3.3.3 build 0928T]
2 x SEAGATE Barracuda ST31500341AS 1.5TB 32MB
XP SP3 * Se7en * XBMC * Xtreamer Sidewinder
DragonSpawn
Starting out

Post by DragonSpawn »

The only thing i really really really would like to see in download station is to change the default download folder. The Download_folder option in uLinux.conf doesn't affect it for some reason, so as far as I can see it is hard-coded even though it obviously shouldn't be.
Ardnivar
New here

Post by Ardnivar »

Not sure if anyone requested this feature or not, but have an option to shutdown qnap when all downloads complete
Ryssen
Know my way around

Post by Ryssen »

I would like to se unlimited number of downloads.

Edit:Backup funktion for the torrents(that´s the adress to the torrents) in the paus and Run list,maybe even the Finnish list.. 8)
QNAP TS-453A Firmware v4.3.3 . 4 WD Red.
kyleh0000
Starting out

Post by kyleh0000 »

Hi guys

I would like to see the following things in the next version of download station, in order of importance...

1 - Option to rename and move the completed torrent to a specific folder, ie at the moment all torrents get saved in the download share, which is fine but they are called exactly what the torrent name is, it would be great it you could choose to save the downloaded file in a specific folder for each torrent and also have the abilty to name the downloaded file what ever you want
2 - Options to auto start torrents ie if i place a torrent file into a specific folder on the NAS the torrents load auto maticly
3 - Options to label torrents into different catagories
4 - abilty to run a script when the torrent has finished downloading, this script should have the ability to access the above label so files can be moved according to which label they have been assigned
5 - abilty to have the NAS alert you when the download is complete say via email (this could be done via the above script)
6 - ability to download via RSS feeds
7 - abilty to to display an RSS feed ie a feed that simply has details about which files are downloading and and eta speed ect ect
8 - abilty to access the webpage directly ie right now i need to go to the main qnap page then to download station to get access to the webgui I would like to have a link that just goes right there

that last one you may already be able to do but i dont know how.

also i would like to thank qnap for all the hard work with your NAS devices they are very stable and have exelent firmware to go with it, they just need to add a few more features to the download station and it will be perfect!

but it looks like you are working on so cant wait to try it!

keep up the good work!
ukfozzybear
Starting out

Post by ukfozzybear »

would be great to select the items you do and don't want to download...
jollster101
Starting out

Post by jollster101 »

This has been mentioned before but the ability to have the download station download from sites using multiple threads.

That is standard in all download managers these days and it is a bit ** if I am only downloading one file from say Easynews that I sit at 400kbps instead of the 1.6mbps if I was using my desktop.

This was being worked on before from what I read some time ago.
joho
Starting out

Post by joho »

It'd be nice with some sort of dynamic handling of BT downloads.

If I tell it to allow for 5 simultaneous downloads .. and I have more than 5, the remaining will obviously be in a "WAIT" state until one or more of the ongoing downloads finishes. It'd be nice to be able to set a threshold where QNAP will put an ongoing download task to sleep if there are no seeding peers or the transfer rate falls below nn Kb/s or Mb/s during a 5min period (or some such).

-joho
pod
Starting out

Post by pod »

1. File-level operation for torrents would be great (basically where we can choose which files within a torrent we would like).
2. Hash-check for incomplete tasks (this is commonly known as either a verify or a manual hash check).
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Add metalink support to the http/ftp download station -> http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... 58#p145963

-Kurt.
milneandfletch
Starting out

Post by milneandfletch »

Improvement Idea - From another Post (been suggested to post it here as well!
Hi,
As you proberly know the download station will only try to download 10 bittorrents at any one time,
I have found that if i have over 10, the system sits on the first 10 even if the torrent is not available and not downloading anything.
Would it not be better, if the system could look at all of the downloads and download what ever it could??
Or of the torrent has downloaded anything for say 15 minutes it tries the next torrent?

Ok, 10 downloads at a time great! running 10 bittorrents at a time even if there not downloading seems a bit of a waste of time!

Any ideas?

Pete
NAS1:- 119 - 1.5TB HDD
NAS2:- 419p 4 x 500GB HDD RAID 5
NAS3:- 219 2 x 2TB RAID 0 - Support

Return to “Download Station and QGet”