Not going through VPN

Post your questions about BT download, FTP download, HTTP download, or QGet download software here.
TheTruePhoenix
Starting out

Not going through VPN

Post by TheTruePhoenix »

I've just upgraded to 4.3 (4.3.2.0026 to be exact) on my QNAP TS-563.

Reinstalled all my apps to 64-bit versions, run all the setups and installed my AirVPN connection (Open VPN), which was super easy now that the bugs that plagued 4.2 are gone.

I just finished downloading around 10gb via Download Station, my VPN stayed connected the entire time, but it reports only 2gb of received traffic :S Is this a bug that it's counting/displaying correctly or is Download Station bypassing my VPN somehow? I've confirmed it's working via trace routes in SSH and I've disabled things like UPNP for Download Station, etc.

Anyone got any suggestions?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Not going through VPN

Post by dolbyman »

test the torrent ip then ..just to be certain (lots of tests around)
TheTruePhoenix
Starting out

Post by TheTruePhoenix »

I confirmed my VPN is working fine, it's just a bug in the display (it never goes over 2gb). Confirmed via both a few tests and temporarily turning logging on the VPN server to see the amount of traffic I was doing matched (which it did).

Now to work out how to report that bug!
kirifet
Starting out

Post by kirifet »

Mine is only showing a few KBs, so I suspect the actual torrent is downloaded via my standard IP. Any idea how to force all connections out of the QNAP to go through the VPN?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

did you check the search ?
viewtopic.php?f=231&t=123258
kirifet
Starting out

Post by kirifet »

dolbyman wrote:did you check the search ?
viewtopic.php?f=231&t=123258
Isn't that for Transmission daemon rather than Download Station?
razormoon
Easy as a breeze

Post by razormoon »

kirifet wrote:Mine is only showing a few KBs, so I suspect the actual torrent is downloaded via my standard IP. Any idea how to force all connections out of the QNAP to go through the VPN?
When you add the VPN client, all routes will be pointing to the VPN gateway with the exception to the NAS webservers. So anything you download via NAS will be safe in the VPN, but the NAS will still be able to communicate if you log in from the internet or use the Q mobile software. An app like Transmission works a little different and would create it's own route so it needs to be bound using a script. I don't use Transmission so I don't know how it will work with the beta software since everything works different now.

You'll be fine. and Yes, the 2GB is a known bug

If you're only seeing a few kb, your vpn is NOT working.
:!: TVS-871-i7-16G 5.0.0.1932 Build 20220129, KODI, WSE 2019
:?: 1 x KINGSTON SNV325S2 as 2mb block cache, WDC WD40EFRX as RAID5, 1 x WDC WD40EFRX as iSCSI
:idea: APC PRO 1500 S
:-0 WIKI SUPPORT

"Nothing is impossible. Only expensive, illegal or both."
kirifet
Starting out

Post by kirifet »

Well, unfortunately not the case for me. The VPN client says "connected", but when I do a DNS leak torrent test like this one https://ipleak.net it comes out with my public IP address - definitely something's wrong.
razormoon
Easy as a breeze

Post by razormoon »

It is the case. Your VPN is NOT working. I'm not saying that your client is connected and your NAS is not using it....what I'm saying is that your VPN SEEMS connected. It says that it is, but it's failing,.

How exactly are you checking your IP through the NAS? Are you maybe using HD Station with browser or SSH command?
:?: 1 x KINGSTON SNV325S2 as 2mb block cache, WDC WD40EFRX as RAID5, 1 x WDC WD40EFRX as iSCSI

kirifet
Starting out

Post by kirifet »

razormoon wrote:How exactly are you checking your IP through the NAS? Are you maybe using HD Station with browser or SSH command?
If you open the link I sent, half way through the page there is a section called "Torrent Address detection", which is basically a magnet link returning your public IP from anywhere you're trying to download that torrent from. The trouble is that I can't even get OpenVPN to work without opening/closing the session via Terminal...
razormoon
Easy as a breeze

Post by razormoon »

kirifet wrote:
razormoon wrote:How exactly are you checking your IP through the NAS? Are you maybe using HD Station with browser or SSH command?
If you open the link I sent, half way through the page there is a section called "Torrent Address detection", which is basically a magnet link returning your public IP from anywhere you're trying to download that torrent from. The trouble is that I can't even get OpenVPN to work without opening/closing the session via Terminal...
What are you using for the magnet....download station? According to this thread, I gather that you're not using Transmission. I'm trying to guess as you haven't added details.
You also mention "opening/closing the session via Terminal". Can you elaborate?

kirifet
Starting out

Post by kirifet »

razormoon wrote:What are you using for the magnet....download station?
Yes
razormoon wrote:You also mention "opening/closing the session via Terminal". Can you elaborate?
I was referring to the fact that I'm unable to establish a successful OpenVPN session via QTS GUI, but that I have to launch the session via SSH every time the NAS switches on/off.
razormoon
Easy as a breeze

Post by razormoon »

kirifet wrote: I was referring to the fact that I'm unable to establish a successful OpenVPN session via QTS GUI, but that I have to launch the session via SSH every time the NAS switches on/off.
Download Station. Gotcha.
That I can help with. What version of QTS are you on? Using beta?

Ok...so you can start VPN via SSH, but not GUI...?
That I can help with as well. What QTS version and VPN provider are you using?

kirifet
Starting out

Post by kirifet »

Thanks razormoon!
razormoon wrote:What version of QTS are you on? Using beta?
QTS 4.2.2 Prod
razormoon wrote:Ok...so you can start VPN via SSH, but not GUI...?
PPTP works over GUI, but OpenVPN doesn't (I think due to the requirement to upload only the .crt file, and not the .ovpn one
razormoon wrote:...and VPN provider are you using?
Torguard
razormoon
Easy as a breeze

Post by razormoon »

Post the Torguard ovpn file and make sure to xxxxx out your personal info. I'll go through it and make one that will work for you.
While you're at it, be sure to download WinSCP here: https://winscp.net/eng/download.php
When I get back to you, I'll show you how to modify and get you going. It should take care of your Download Station leak, as well.
We'll kill all these birds with one stone.

Return to “Download Station and QGet”