Download Station logout entries in system connection log

Post your questions about BT download, FTP download, HTTP download, or QGet download software here.
macke
New here

Download Station logout entries in system connection log

Post by macke »

I have recently updated to 4.3.3 from an older version (4.1.3?) and noticed that the Download Station was enabled by default. Since I'm not going to use it i stopped the service and also removed it (by chosing remove in the AppCenter). Even though the Download Station has been removed I can still see log entries in the system log each time I log out from the web admin interface. For each web interface logout entry there will also be one Download Station logout entry with the User = "Unknown". They seem to go hand-in-hand.
Capture.PNG
Why do I see these log entries when I no longer have the Download Station installed? Is this normal? Can I do something about it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
macke
New here

Re: Download Station logout entries in system connection log

Post by macke »

Register a support ticket about this. Got a reply today saying they need to remotely connect to my NAS to investigate this. I will never give anyone else (including QNAP official support) access to my NAS so I guess I will not go that path...

So, it looks like this forum is my only hope to get an understanding about this. My guess is that a number of people would have done the same as I did, i.e. stopping and removing the Download Station service and it should be pretty easy to check the system connection log if they have the same entries. I would really appreciate if someone could take the time to do this and report back.

Thanks in advance! :)
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

macke wrote: My guess is that a number of people would have done the same as I did, i.e. stopping and removing the Download Station service and it should be pretty easy to check the system connection log if they have the same entries.
Nothing the like here - Download Station was removed these days after updating to 4.3.3.0229, no reboot since:
Logout Administration - no Download Station.PNG
Worth having an eye on the /etc/config/qpkf.conf ... if there is something fishy, the sections were messed up, ... you never know.

Worth a try is re-installing the Download Station, use it once, and uninstall it again.
macke wrote: I will never give anyone else (including QNAP official support) access to my NAS so I guess I will not go that path...
Gee, it's the best service possible. You can allow ie. a TeamViewer session and watch watch is going on. The Helpdesk App does also offer a remote session, however, you can't monitor what is going on - and there QNAP does sugest using a temporary folder encryption, and lock folders with critical data. Your choice, on your own.

Regards,
-Kurt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
macke
New here

Post by macke »

Thank you Kurt for checking this for me.
schumaku wrote: Nothing the like here - Download Station was removed these days after updating to 4.3.3.0229, no reboot since:
Right, that is how you would expect it to look like. I think I have the 4.3.3 build preceding that version. Guess I need to upgrade to the latest version and see what happens...
schumaku wrote: Worth having an eye on the /etc/config/qpkf.conf ... if there is something fishy, the sections were messed up, ... you never know.

Worth a try is re-installing the Download Station, use it once, and uninstall it again.
I will try to check that also.

I did try to re-install Download Station and used it some then uninstalled it but unfortunately it did not change anything.
bonski
New here

Post by bonski »

You are not alone.
I see similar behavior on my NAS, using 4.3.3.0262 and Download Station 5.0.64
I cannot offer explanations for the behavior, but I do provide additional data points that may progress you towards such an explanation.
{NOTE: Due to other unexplained behavior of Download Station (5.0.60 and 5.0.64) on my own NAS, I have been keeping it STOPPED (disabled). See (Incessant Internet Access by Download Station 5.0.60)viewtopic.php?f=16&t=135226#p633361}

Here is the short description.
There are (2) types of behaviors I see:
Behavior #1 where admin changes the state of Download Station before logging-out.
Behavior #2 where admin does nothing with Download Station before logging-out.
The key difference lies in the System Connections Logs for (Logout) associated with (Download Station):
Under #1 the (User) = (admin);
Under #2, the (User) = (Unknown).

Here is the long description.
Behavior #1 is brought about by:
0. (Download Station) is already STOPPED,
1. Via the Web Interface, login as (admin) {1st Login}
2. Via the (App Center), (START) the App (Download Station)
3. Wait for (Download Station) to complete starting.
4. (STOP) the App (Download Station)
5. Wait for (Download Station) to complete stopping.
6. logout of the Web Interface
7. Via the Web Interface, login as (admin) {2nd Login}
8. Examine the System Logs

Here I have attached System Event Logs (Event1.png) and System Connections Logs (Connections1.png)
Event1.png
Connections1.png
You can see in Connections1 two (Action) = (Logout) entries with the same timestamp (13:34:34), both with (Users) = (admin), one with (Accessed Resources) = (-), the other with (Accessed Resources) = (Download Station).
You can see in Event1 the two entries enabling and then disabling (Download Station).

I have combined relevant portions of both logs here (in descending order of timestamp):
13:33:44 ... admin ... Administration ...... Login OK {2nd Login}
13:33:34 ... admin ... Download Station ... Logout
13:33:34 ... admin ... - ....................... Logout
13:33:10 ... admin ... [App Center] Download Station disabled.
13:32:52 ... admin ... [App Center] Download Station enabled.
13:19:02 ... admin ... Administration ...... Login OK {1st Login}

Behavior #2 is brought about by:
0. (Download Station) is already STOPPED.
1. Via the Web Interface, login as (admin) {3rd Login}
2. logout of the Web Interface
3. Via the Web Interface, login as (admin) {4th Login}
4. Examine the System Logs

There were no new entries in the System Event Logs. Here I have attached the System Connections Logs (Connections2.png)
Connections2.png
You can see in Connections2 two (Action) = (Logout) entries with the same timestamp (14:09:24), one with (Users) = (admin) and (Accessed Resources) = (-); the other with (Users) = (Unknown) and (Accessed Resources) = (Download Station).

Find here relevant portions of Connections2 (in descending order of timestamp):
14:09:31 ... admin ....... Administration ...... Login OK {4th Login}
14:09:24 ... Unknown ... Download Station ... Logout
14:09:24 ... admin ....... - ....................... Logout
14:09:16 ... admin ....... Administration ...... Login OK {3rd Login}
macke
New here

Post by macke »

For some mysterious reasons these strange Download Station logout entries are no longer to be found in my system connection logs! The last log entry was in the beginning of July. I'm still on the same firmware, i.e. 4.3.3.0210.

Return to “Download Station and QGet”