Is there any normal solution for downloads for QNAP?!

Post your questions about BT download, FTP download, HTTP download, or QGet download software here.
gsmoke
New here

Is there any normal solution for downloads for QNAP?!

Post by gsmoke »

Sorry for such title, but everything that starting to make me crazy.

4.3.3 FW gave us nice interface and new features...on the paper...In general - Im pretty satisfied with it on my 453 pro. I installed it to use all wonderful features of Photo and Video station, other software...but I still can't. Because...because everybody knows why.

But what is really killing me - the feature I'm using most the time here - is BT downloading.

Old "native" Transmission gave to me maybe not absolute, but close to that satisfaction and happiness. Now, when we lost it - I installed QTransmission as its "successor".

And what do we have here:
- Poor non informative interface. OK. Installed Remote on my Mac. Bingo - looks much better. But it's not fair to be totally happy - web-interface stopped to work! 404: Not Found
Couldn't find Transmission's web interface files!

Users: to tell Transmission where to look, set the TRANSMISSION_WEB_HOME environment variable to the folder where the web interface's index.html is located.

Package Builders: to set a custom default at compile time, #define PACKAGE_DATA_DIR in libtransmission/platform.c or tweak tr_getClutchDir () by hand.
WTF?!
I want to have both access via Remote and via web - to control current tasks status via iPad for example. No way.

Ok.

- Piece of cake. Once you moved manually (via those QFile) your downloaded file to another folder. OOPS! QTransmission totally got blind and can't locate it anymore. Anybody heard about symlinks?! How it was realised in old Transmission?! Looks like no.

No justice in the world. Going to the origins - to the Download Station 5.

Looks like a bit more solid than the older versions. It doesn't losing moved finished files (I saw the problem with automatically movement of downloaded files, but I'm using a lot of different folders for the downloaded files, so I prefer to sort them all manually). But everything couldn't be just fine.

After downloading is finished and seeding started, after some period of time we see, that no seeding continues! What's happening?! Let's go to check. In the settings we see:
- Share time: FOREVER (OK, that's what I want - I will stop seeding when I will be needed).
- Share ratio: 150% and this field is not active. Here's the problem. And let's fix it.

But - you can chose Share ration % only when you set the Share time 30 mins - 2 weeks. And how about Forever?! Forgot to fix checkbox in C++ studio or...?!

WTF?!

All that mean - we do not have properly functional flexible Downloading software on QNAP? My expectations are too high?

Or maybe there's some proper problems solution or alternate Downloading software?!

Sorry for emotional post, but I'm really confused.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Is there any normal solution for downloads for QNAP?!

Post by dolbyman »

how about a container or VM with the download client of your choice ?
gsmoke
New here

Post by gsmoke »

dolbyman wrote:how about a container or VM with the download client of your choice ?
Well, it could be a solution. Like for many other tasks. But...it requires additional steps - initiate VM, install OS, keep all that in server memory.

Describing all these things above I leaned first of all some easier solutions. Something out-of-the-box, like it was assumed.

My question in general - maybe I'm blind and not so smart and I can't simply fix all that with easier steps?!

Anyway - thanks for advise. It's also solution.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

containers would be out of the box and save on OS overhead

https://github.com/kfei/docktorrent
gsmoke
New here

Post by gsmoke »

Hm...Thanks a lot. Will go to read the manuals.

Return to “Download Station and QGet”