Download Station and Firewall together?

Post your questions about BT download, FTP download, HTTP download, or QGet download software here.
srsylva
Starting out

Download Station and Firewall together?

Post by srsylva »

Hey guys, someone pointed a script to my NAS and sudently I am receiving dozens of errors regarding invalid login attempts; due to this I had to install QuFirewall and limit the traffic for my geographical zone only; anyway, after this my Download Station is not operating anymore, a message is shown as follows:

Download Station is currently offline.
To use Download Station, please contact the administrator to enable this service on management center.

can Download Station and Firewall coexist? if yes, how?

Regards!
Don
Guru

Re: Download Station and Firewall together?

Post by Don »

You probably need to open ports on the firewall in order for download station to work.

The bigger question is why is your NAS accessible from the internet? If you need to access your NAS from the internet use a VPN, don't forward the admin ports on your router.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
srsylva
Starting out

Post by srsylva »

Hello Don and thanks for the valuable reply; I didn't manage to have the ports for QVPN opened in my internet router, therefore Im using myqnapcloud to access the NAS; after the incidents I've disabled myqnapcloud, but still have firewall on; tried to open ports from 7500-7519 TCP/UDP but that didn't made any difference.

Any ideas or guides on both tackling router ports for VPN or firewall ports for Download Station would be welcome.
thanks!
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

If you have shut down access to your NAS from the outside then you don’t need to run the firewall. You just need to forward the ports on the router that you are using on download station. Make sure you have disabled uPnP on the router.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
srsylva
Starting out

Post by srsylva »

Hello Don; I manage to put QVPN to work, although I can't see the port 443 open when using nmap on my server from lan side (strange...). Dont need forward rule for HTTP access on router anymore!

Anyway I have a forward rule on my router to QVPN port, mapped to the QVPN client ou mobile and laptop, and so far at least I manage to connect from lan side (still didnt manage to test on WAN). Therefore uninstalled firewall.

As for download station, had to reinstall it manually as simply reseting or reinstalling from applications repository didn't seem to work. Now is working properly.

Thanks for your contribution!
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

You know you don’t need a VPN to access your NAS from the LAN?

Return to “Download Station and QGet”