Browser Station Upload

Post your questions about BT download, FTP download, HTTP download, or QGet download software here.
dz3mas
First post

Browser Station Upload

Post by dz3mas »

Good day,

I'd like to ask is there any chance to upload a file straight from shared folder while using Browser Station application?

After the last update the /share location has disappeared and now I am struggling to access a shared folders which are stored in File Station.

May someone facing a similar situation?
FSC830
Experience counts

Re: Browser Station Upload

Post by FSC830 »

I never used such apps and the options to upload/download files directly from NAS to internet.
And I highly recommend not to do such things.
Forum is full of threads of highjacked NAS, the most recent Deadbolt malware has still "earned" a ransom more than 1 million bucks!
Use a cloud service of your choice for exchanging data with users outside your LAN.
Do NOT expose your LAN in any way to the internet!

Regards
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Well, op never said if browser station is publicly exposed (or any other parts of the NAS)

Browser station is that niche thing where you install a container on the NAS to have some sort of VNC driven GUI with a browser, without an entry point to a NAS share, the container does exactly what it's supposed to .. to be encapsulated without access to any NAS data.

If this feature was recently removed (entry point), then I have no idea how to access NAS files. (never used browser station)

But to reitterate the previous point, make sure you use browser station only via a VPN (no .. does not cost anything) and not by exposing the NAS to the open web.
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

:ashamed:
When reading such phrases "...and now I am struggling to access a shared folders..." I always switch to paranoia mode that this is intended for accessing from outside of LAN. :DD

Regards
Stratos
Starting out

Post by Stratos »

I'm having the same situation but with downloading, but that doesn't matter. The local NAS shares are now inaccessible to browser station which... yeah is a bummer. I was using it for a specific purpose that made sense regardless of the fearmongering above.

OP, you *can* access the "file structure you see inside browser station" from the command line (SSH) of the NAS. It's clunky and janky and I don't want to explain exactly how to do it if you're not familiar with linux shell. But you can create a folder in the Browser Station file structure (from Chrome) and then use find in SSH to find that folder (make it unique) and that will ultimately point out where that specific browser station instance is. Once you have this path you can copy a file into there from command line as the NAS shares are accessible from the command line. But this is in no way a solution and is still too cumbersome for me to continue using Browser Station for my needs. (having to ssh to "get" my downloads)

Hopefully QNAP corrects this. It's an easy solve by including a file system map from the container to the local NAS.... but I kind of understand why they didn't do it. Maybe they'll fix it down the road but I'm definitely bummed they didn't make sure to include that feature when going with this new app design.

Return to “Download Station and QGet”