Downloaded File Permissions

Post your questions about BT download, FTP download, HTTP download, or QGet download software here.
quenchmaster
New here

Downloaded File Permissions

Post by quenchmaster »

Hi,

I recently updated the firmware of my Qnas TS-210 to 3.4.4 Build 0718T. At the same time I updated QGet to Version 2.0.3.0506.

All the files I now download using Http or BitTorrent through QGet have a file permission of 755 as default. This means that even though I am accessing the shared directory using administrator I can not move the files off on to another drive (qnas or computer) without logging into Web File Manager and changing the permissions to at least 775. The original firmware and QGet put the permissions at 777. Why has it changed? Is there anything that can be done to put it back to using 777 automatically?
schumaku
Guru

Re: Downloaded File Permissions

Post by schumaku »

quenchmaster wrote:All the files I now download using Http or BitTorrent through QGet have a file permission of 755 as default.
This is perfectly correct. Files:
Owner is admin:administrators, the protection mask is -rwxrw-rw-
The owner x is essentially not required - this will cahnge in the future.

Directories:
Owner is admin:administrators, the protection mask is -rwxrwxrwx
This is required for the "universal" shareing - the x on the folders has a sepcial meaning: Allow to list the files - otherwise you would not be able to browse the files.
quenchmaster wrote:This means that even though I am accessing the shared directory using administrator I can not move the files off on to another drive (qnas or computer) without logging into Web File Manager and changing the permissions to at least 775.
What for? When you grant access to the Download share (best using your the same cedentials you are using on your desktop) you can access/move/whatever the files using Microsoft File Sharing, AFP, ftp, Web FIle Manager, ... also from the Download or Qdownload share.
quenchmaster wrote:The original firmware and QGet put the permissions at 777. Why has it changed?
Because it was not compliant to the NAS standards.

This is always under the assumption your NAS is running with the DOS attributes stored in the file system user_xattrib fields (map archive = no ... map system = no ... map hidden = no) - that osuld not be touched in smb.conf.

Starting from the v3.5 firmware, the files are 666 -rw-rw-rw- (SAMBA will no longer set the obsolete archive flag on touching the files).
quenchmaster
New here

Post by quenchmaster »

schumaku wrote:
What for? When you grant access to the Download share (best using your the same cedentials you are using on your desktop) you can access/move/whatever the files using Microsoft File Sharing, AFP, ftp, Web FIle Manager, ... also from the Download or Qdownload share.
Errrr... no you can't and thats the problem. I have the same log in for both the share and windows loggin. I cannot move or delete the directories that are created with permissions set as 755. I have even tried accessing the share using "admin" from windows and even using this access I cannot move or delete the directories.

As I stated before I can move or delete the directories through windows I have to change the file permssions to at least 775. Logging into web file manager I have no issues, it is just through windows 7 file sharing. I am going to play arround with the network share and see if re-mapping it works but at the moment, I can see and copy files downloaded to the QDownload directory but I am unable to move them.... :x
Last edited by quenchmaster on Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
quenchmaster
New here

Post by quenchmaster »

I have been playing with the settings and I see where things are a problem.

I access the files through a user that has administrative rights. I do not access through the user "admin". If the directories are set to 755 which is rwxr-xr-x then I cannot move / delete the files though windows file share.

If the directories are set to 777 (rwxrwxrwx) I can move / delete the files through windows file share.

If I create a directory on the share using windows it is created with the permissions set as 777. If I create a folder using Web File Manager, e.g. Test. It also creates directory with permissions set as 777. So why does QGet create directories set as 755 ??? This totally locks the folders - it very bloody annoying.
smartbomb
Starting out

Post by smartbomb »

I'm having the same problem since version 3.4.1. I thought it would be fixed in the next release but the problem remains.

The only "solution" I have is to set the permissions of the Qdownload folder recursively to 775 before moving files.
ripmyundies
Getting the hang of things

Post by ripmyundies »

hmm same problem here...pain in the ***. Use user with admin privileges on QNAP (3.5.0), however any files created and written by BitTorrent can't be deleted by this user (even though it's got admin rights). Crazy.

FTP or Web access seem to be the only way around it....it's annoying the **** out of me.
meijsberg
New here

Post by meijsberg »

Hi,
I am experiencing the same problem. For obvious reasons, I sometimes want to remove or replace downloaded files with users other than admin.
Spikeh
New here

Post by Spikeh »

I've been experiencing this problem for ages. Here's my set up:

Windows Login: workgroup\User1
Download directory SAMBA rights: administrators - read/write
NAS login: NAS\User1

My windows password and NAS password are exactly the same...

The only way I can rectify it is by SSHing in and running the following command:

chmod -R 777 /share/Download/*

Which is really, REALLY annoying.

I've modified /etc/init.d/btd.sh to rewrite the permissions on QDownload restart, but that's no good if I download a file and want to access it in the same day.

Can QNAP please look at this, as it's a right ball-ache to rectify every time I download a new file!
Nicrypt
New here

Post by Nicrypt »

I have the same issue since they changed the way the permissions work for QDownload not a pleasant user experience using QDownload any more.

The better solution would be to provide a configuration item for the QDownload / default user-permissions so everyone can do what they prefer.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
nix
First post

Post by nix »

I've just purchased a QNAP TS-212 and it has this incredibly annoying bug. Has anyone found a solution to it yet?
damago1
New here

Post by damago1 »

I have still the same problem and it's 2015 now. still unresolved.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

damago1 wrote:I have still the same problem and it's 2015 now. still unresolved.
NAS model? Firmware? Download Station version?

Enable the Advanced Folder Permissions and all downloaded folders and files will get the ACL as defined and you can access it.
NALF
New here

Post by NALF »

I still have this bug with Download Station 5 and QNAP TS-219P+
As suggested by schumaku, by checking the "Special permission" of my root Download folder, my user (which is in the admin group) can now delete my downloaded files.
Thank you schumaku!

Return to “Download Station and QGet”