Make the RSS downloader check more often than every 12 hours

Post your questions about BT download, FTP download, HTTP download, or QGet download software here.
JamesNK
New here

Make the RSS downloader check more often than every 12 hours

Post by JamesNK »

I love the RSS torrent downloader but how do I make it check more often than every 12 hours?
orta
New here

Re: Make the RSS downloader check more often than every 12 h

Post by orta »

Please help ! I wanna do the same .
Veronikoula
First post

Post by Veronikoula »

Im bumping this thread since I cant find a solution to it either.

I like the build in download station a lot and have it currently set up with an RSS feed to download my favo series and then give me a notification on my phone when its downloaded and rdy to watch.

The only thing currently bothering me is that the lowest option you can pick for the RSS feed to update and check for new stuff is 12 hours... which is pretty long. If anybody knows a way to maybe change this option to like 1 or 2 hours though SSH or something directly on the NAS? (im newbie) that would be great :DD
centry
New here

Post by centry »

yea, i have this problem too.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Thee is no simple solution available. Technical (and formally correct) behaviour of a RSS reader/downloader would be to accept the refresh defined in the RSS feed.
o.barrett
New here

Post by o.barrett »

I've been working on a way to do this and am almost certain it is possible. Will post back as soon as I find a solution :).

EDIT: Well that didn't take nearly as long to work out as I thought it would.

Steps:
Note that this was done on a TS-212 with the latest firmware (20130301), the steps required may differ between models.

1. Ensure that the PDO extensions have been properly enabled for the the CLI version of PHP.
In your php.ini (/opt/etc/php.ini), add the following lines if they aren't there:

Code: Select all

extension = pdo.so
extension = pdo_sqlite.so
extension = sqlite.so
extension = pdo_mysql.so
2. Install the php-curl package.

ipkg install php-curl
3. Modify the RSS update script to have a custom update time.
Note that I chose to hardcode the allowed update time to make it easy to update, there are many other ways to do this.
Backup the file listed below before editing if you plan to make any changes.

Look for the following line in /mnt/ext/home/httpd/cgi-bin/Qdownload/rss_job_downloader.php: (line 43 for me)

if (time() - $job_row['rss_job_last_check'] < ($job_row['rss_job_interval'] * 60 * 60)) {
Replace $job_row['rss_job_interval'] with the value (in hours) that you would like to allow the RSS feeds to update. For example, if you want it to update every 30 minutes:

if (time() - $job_row['rss_job_last_check'] < ((30/60) * 60 * 60)) {
4. Run the update script to see the results.

php rss_job_downloader.php
The way the update script works is that if the last check time is less than the interval time, no update will be performed. By changing this interval value, the script can be successfully run after this new interval. I haven't been able to find out how often the script is actually called by Qdownload yet... so to be safe you may want to add this script to your crontab to ensure that it is updated after the proper interval (just be sure to set the crontab interval slightly more than the update interval that you have set in the script).
Qdownload could either be calling this script sporadically or very often, so I wouldn't recommend removing this interval from the script or setting it to 0 either.
mrkaasa
New here

Post by mrkaasa »

o.barrett wrote:I've been working on a way to do this and am almost certain it is possible. Will post back as soon as I find a solution :).

EDIT: Well that didn't take nearly as long to work out as I thought it would.

Steps:
Note that this was done on a TS-212 with the latest firmware (20130301), the steps required may differ between models.

1. Ensure that the PDO extensions have been properly enabled for the the CLI version of PHP.
In your php.ini (/opt/etc/php.ini), add the following lines if they aren't there:

extension = pdo.so
extension = pdo_sqlite.so
extension = sqlite.so
extension = pdo_mysql.so
2. Install the php-curl package.

ipkg install php-curl
3. Modify the RSS update script to have a custom update time.
Note that I chose to hardcode the allowed update time to make it easy to update, there are many other ways to do this.
Backup the file listed below before editing if you plan to make any changes.

Look for the following line in /mnt/ext/home/httpd/cgi-bin/Qdownload/rss_job_downloader.php: (line 43 for me)

if (time() - $job_row['rss_job_last_check'] < ($job_row['rss_job_interval'] * 60 * 60)) {
Replace $job_row['rss_job_interval'] with the value (in hours) that you would like to allow the RSS feeds to update. For example, if you want it to update every 30 minutes:

if (time() - $job_row['rss_job_last_check'] < ((30/60) * 60 * 60)) {
4. Run the update script to see the results.

php rss_job_downloader.php
The way the update script works is that if the last check time is less than the interval time, no update will be performed. By changing this interval value, the script can be successfully run after this new interval. I haven't been able to find out how often the script is actually called by Qdownload yet... so to be safe you may want to add this script to your crontab to ensure that it is updated after the proper interval (just be sure to set the crontab interval slightly more than the update interval that you have set in the script).
Qdownload could either be calling this script sporadically or very often, so I wouldn't recommend removing this interval from the script or setting it to 0 either.
Thanks for that!

Seems like the path has changed in the new beta firmware 4.01 though:
/share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/DSv3/home/httpd/cgi-bin/Qdownload/rss_job_downloader.php

I just removed one of the "* 60" in line 43 (the same line as described above). Like this:

if (time() - $job_row['rss_job_last_check'] < ($job_row['rss_job_interval'] * 60)) {
Then> Switched Off and On the "Download manager" in the "Application Center" in the Web interface. Done and working :)

So the minimum update interval should now be 12 minutes (12 hours setting) and maximum 12 hours (1 month setting)
NioTeX
First post

Re: Make the RSS downloader check more often than every 12 hours

Post by NioTeX »

anyone know how you can do this on the new firmware?
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

NioTeX wrote:anyone know how you can do this on the new firmware?
Under Download Station v4.2.1:

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
Gryzor
Easy as a breeze

Post by Gryzor »

pwilson wrote: Under Download Station v4.2.1:

Yeah, but this only goes down to 12 hours, not more often as the subject of this thread is looking an answer to...

I'd like to change that too. Download Station is good enough for me to not mess with Transmission, but the 12-hour long RSS update intervals are silly. I'd like to get it down to one hour or half hours...
.:.
QNAP TS-251-4G / 4.3.2.0026
etakpte
First post

Post by etakpte »

Hi,

on 4.2 i have found this file /etc/config/ds.conf

In this you will find

[rss]
enable=true
check_update_time=12
If you change the check_update_time to 1, I believe you can bring it down to 1 hour. (Download station restart is probably required activate the change)
Gryzor
Easy as a breeze

Post by Gryzor »

Well, better than nothing I guess :)
Gryzor
Easy as a breeze

Post by Gryzor »

Actually because of that limitation I moved over to QSonarr. Much more complicated - took it to another level, but at least it works...
ebeng
New here

Post by ebeng »

dzintarsb wrote:
etakpte wrote:Hi,

on 4.2 i have found this file /etc/config/ds.conf

In this you will find

[rss]
enable=true
check_update_time=12
If you change the check_update_time to 1, I believe you can bring it down to 1 hour. (Download station restart is probably required activate the change)
This doesnt work for me. After some period of time check_update_time is set back 12. Any other ideas?

This 12h limitation is so stupid... :( Why there is no shorter update interval option?

after restarting the Download station, it sets back to 12. Any idea why?

Return to “Download Station and QGet”