Demo torrent here - Examine your environment and QNAP NAS

QNAPIvan
Experience counts

Demo torrent here - Examine your environment and QNAP NAS

Post by QNAPIvan »

[Edited by Ivan on 0327,2008]
Please note the BT performance has been greatly enhanced on FW v2.0.1 0324. We will going to officially release it.
===============================
Dear All
We received several valuable feedback and concerns about the BitTorrent download performance. Sorry for all the inconvenience.

All the BitTorrent download functions on QNAP NAS were fully tested by our quality assurance team. However, there might be several mixed causes that might influence the performance of your download function. Here are some ways for both you and QNAP team to clarify and identify the issue you encountered.

1. Demo torrent
(To examine if you have proper port-forwarding settings on NAT gateway and make sure you got a good QNAP NAS running)

Here are the demo torrent files. Please add these files to test to make sure your environment is well set up.
A. The Fedora Torrent:
http://torrent.fedoraproject.org/
Please also try to download the torrent here for testing.
B. Some reference torrent files
ftp://csdread:csdread@ftp.qnap.com/CSD/torrent/
(Date code is added to make sure it is not expirated when you try to download from the link)
If you tried the torrent files in Download Station, but still have very low download rate. Plase make sure you have forwarded the corresponding port range on your NAT gateway or both QNAP NAS and your NAT gateway are enabled the UPnP setting.

2. About torrent client
There are two download clients used in QNAP NAS, "bittorrent" and "bittornado". The Download Station default uses the bittornado client to download. If you enable the "DHT" function, then Download Station will change to use "bittorrent" client.
In our past experience the download performance of using "bittornado" will be better than "bittorrent". So we will suggest users to disable the DHT to download first, DHT is the way for NAS find peers without communicating with trackers. In case there are only few or even zero peers can be found by Download Station of the task then you can try to enable DHT.

3. Why my PC-based download program performs so fast but QNAP NAS is so slow?
Currently the linux-based download client only supports communicating with trackers by using TCP only. But both TCP and UDP are used by PC-based download clients. This might be the cause that the performance of Linux-based download is slower than a PC-based program in some specific tasks. Currently QNAP is working on the improvement on the Download Station client for better performance in the UDP-required environment.

Ref. number of my NAS
QNAP NAS supports 10 concurrent tasks. Set 3 concurrent tasks and you will have better performance. I download some video clips from Bittorrent.com and I have 400KB/s ~900KB/s before. The fast performance may come from the cache by the service providers.
I download some torrents from a site in China, I get average 100~250KB/s per tasks.

Troubleshooting
Why the speed is still 0~2KB/s only ???? :evil:
http://forum.qnap.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=954

Hope the above message helps.
Thanks again for all of your comments.
Last edited by QNAPIvan on Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:07 am, edited 12 times in total.
USA Technical Support: +1 909 595 2782
sjaglin
Getting the hang of things

Post by sjaglin »

Hi QNAPIvan,

Thanks for that info, I was wondering why two clients were in, now I know...

Sorry for the cheek but do you mean kb/s or kB/s because according to my QNAP ts-109, I currently have 120kB/s which is very fast I think.

I am just trying the suse 10.1 torrent you have put on the QNAP ftp site, I am on 5 kB/s with only one seeder and 0 leech.

Cheers,

Thanks for your work,

Stef

:wink:
QNAP TS-251B 4Gb 2x 1TB SOLAR POWERED (50%)
QNAP TS-119+Version 3.4.0 Build 0212T(1 TB) SOLAR POWERED (90%)TB
RaPi 3 and 4 -> OMV and Raspiblitz
SOLD EeePC 1000H Mandriva 2010.1, Puppy and XP SOLAR POWERED (50%)
SOLD ASROCK Ion 330 Mandriva 2010.1 SOLAR POWERED (50%)
QNAPIvan
Experience counts

Post by QNAPIvan »

sjaglin wrote:Hi QNAPIvan,
Sorry for the cheek but do you mean kb/s or kB/s because according to my QNAP ts-109, I currently have 120kB/s which is very fast I think.
I am just trying the suse 10.1 torrent you have put on the QNAP ftp site, I am on 5 kB/s with only one seeder and 0 leech.
Stef

:wink:
Dear Stef:
Thanks for reminding, I just modified it. It should be KB/s. (Sorry for consufing!!!)

Attached images below are posted by one users in a public forum. Regarding the SUSE torrent I will put those on my own NAS to test it again. In the mean time I will ask our technical support to contact you.

~~~~
I just got the result:
One I got 40KB/s around and the other one seems not so healthy (which might be expired). Sorry again and I will try to find qualified torrent for both of us to test again.
~~~~~
Cheers

http://www.pczone.com.tw/vbb3/attachmen ... attachment
http://www.pczone.com.tw/vbb3/attachmen ... attachment
USA Technical Support: +1 909 595 2782
christian

Post by christian »

can u tell me wich ports i should forward from my router to the ts-209
cheesy
New here

Post by cheesy »

I have a TS-109, so I'm assuming it's similar. From the Download Station web page, click on "Set Config". There you see the port range you need to forward ("Bittorrent port range:").

On mine, by default it's 6881-6999.
sjaglin
Getting the hang of things

Post by sjaglin »

QNAP TS-251B 4Gb 2x 1TB SOLAR POWERED (50%)
QNAP TS-119+Version 3.4.0 Build 0212T(1 TB) SOLAR POWERED (90%)TB
RaPi 3 and 4 -> OMV and Raspiblitz
SOLD EeePC 1000H Mandriva 2010.1, Puppy and XP SOLAR POWERED (50%)
SOLD ASROCK Ion 330 Mandriva 2010.1 SOLAR POWERED (50%)

Return to “Frequently Asked Questions”