Twonky disappeared after fw upgrade

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
TonyG_qnap
New here

Twonky disappeared after fw upgrade

Post by TonyG_qnap »

Looking for some help.
I have been running a Qnap 239 ProII for a few years now. I had twonky media server running and it worked great
for all the Rokus around the house. I decided to do my yearly maintenance and run the firmware update on the QNAP.
(4.1.3 -> 4.2.2)

After reboot, it came up with no more Twonky Server, but only the QNAP DLNA server. This doesn't work so well for me,
and to say I'm ticked is an understatement. I saw no mention of this in the release notes. The QNAP DLNA server doesn't
read the folder.jpg files for the folder art like Twonky did. I tried to add Twonky back, (the db is still there), but there is no
Twonky qpkg still available in the app listings.

Young kids have a much easier time navigating through the movie collection by movie cover art rather than having to read each title. I also liked that I could find a move without my
glasses on. I'm hoping someone can help me add Twonky back. (or show me how to get QNAP DLNA to show album art based on the folder.jpg file.

Thanks
-Tony
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Twonky disappeared after fw upgrade

Post by dolbyman »

twonky was removed from support...
if you want to run it you have to download a community version or run it via linux station .. both methods require to purchase a license
TonyG_qnap
New here

Post by TonyG_qnap »

Removed from support is one thing, removed from my QNAP without notice or my permission is something else.
I could care less if QNAP decided to no longer offer it with new NASes as the newer units can run linux station/containers/virtual station.

Unfortunately, QNAP does not offer linux/containers/virtual station on the 239 Pro II most likely as a "business decision", as there is no reason that the CPU can't run it
(albeit less efficiently without the cpu extensions)

So to summarize, I purchased this QNAP which included Twonky as a selling point, they now yanked Twonky and now in order for me to attempt to run it I need to find a community version
*and* buy a license... So I have a neutered NAS that can no longer function as its intended purpose.

Very poor Customer support and focus!(and I was a huge QNAP proponent for many years)

Regards.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

i am also disappointed...but nothing we can do about it...vent with customer support via ticket
juanca2000
Starting out

Post by juanca2000 »

seems to be the new policy of Qnap... they just remove things that were there for years.... that were advertised and that probably made you to chose this NAS instead of another. (for example streaming with qnap apps)

My impression is that they care less and less about their "home" customers even if they bring new versions of "multimedia / home NAS". I guess they just need us for some extra cash...

I am very upset as I have been a big supporter of Qnap and brought quite a few of my friends to Qnap .... I feel more and more tricked...

Let's see what comes next....
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Post by Toxic17 »

I guess since QNAP still pushes on with its own DNLA player, why would they pay Twonky for a Corporate license?

I dont think QNAP offer any other licensed products for free?............... no they dont.

I think I bought a Twonky License around version 6 for about $15 but I can still use it on Twonky Server 8.x, and the update QPKG's come directly from Twonky themselves when they release an update, not months/years like QNAP done in the past.

http://www.twonkyforum.com/downloads/8.4/

So QNAP ditched the software and the free customer license. Times change, and people move on.

BTW the license, which is a one off at $19.95 and allows you to install it on 3 devices, its not that much is it, really?
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
Proggie
Starting out

Post by Proggie »

And what's even more annoying is that there seems to be a bug in 4.2.3 with the builtin dlna where "By Folder" no longer shows anything making it impossible for me to see my videos.
TS-419P 4.3.3.1315 Build 20200611
gdssjov
Starting out

Post by gdssjov »

Problem with QNAP own DLNA is - among others - and for me a showstopper: Twonky can see and index files on external USB drive - QNAP don't see external drives - so not able to choose files for multimedia library....

:evil: :evil:
larryganz
Starting out

Post by larryganz »

Finally got around to updating my QNAP and I was also surprised and ** that they dropped Twonky Server. I don't want to install Linus Station and buy a license, I only want to run hybrid station since that's easier for my family to use without training - and I'm afraid that since you can only run one or the other that my settings in hybrid station could be messed up when I go back to it after installing Twonky in Linus Station. Am I safe temporarily installing Linux Station and then switching back to Hybrid Station after I have Twonky loaded?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

why not imstall twonky back as qpkg?
larryganz
Starting out

Post by larryganz »

dolbyman wrote:why not imstall twonky back as qpkg?
The Twonky website lets you download a Windows, Mac or Linux version. I downloaded the Linux version and unzipped it onto the QNAP, and then in App Manager tried to manually install it, but there isn't a qpkg file amongst the unzipped files. I tried to install what appeared to be the Twonky app anyway, and it's not an installer, and it also doesn't install if you select the .zip file from within the installer.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

qnap version for all systems are on the bottom

http://www.twonkyforum.com/downloads/8.4/
larryganz
Starting out

Post by larryganz »

Apparently Twonky still makes a QNAP compatible qpkg after all - I went looking harder for it after dolbyman posted, and it's kinda hidden online and instead of at Twonky it's at Twonkyforum - http://twonkyforum.com/downloads/8.4/

I bought a license, since my previous license was for Twonky Rev 3.x for Mac, and the server is up and running on my Qnap TS-453A. I'm now trying to sort out issues with Safari browser needing the quicktime 7 plug-in for certain videos. I think its fixed, but I don't want to restart my browser after installing the plug-in until I'm done with some other tasks.
larryganz
Starting out

Post by larryganz »

Funny We cross posted - I downloaded the qnap version about 15 minutes before dolbyman posted, but I didn't post about it until everything was done.
Macuser007
Starting out

Post by Macuser007 »

I downloaded the TwonkyServerEU_8.4-2x86.qpkg and TwonkyServerEU_8.4-2_x86_64.qpkg on my Mac and tried manually install to my QNAP TS-453 Pro but always stop and failed at 4%. And always show the file is a .txt file. Then I remove the .txt extension and changed the file type to .qpkg and tried again with same result. Help please.

Return to “Media Streaming”