Firefly Alternatives

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
Nez
New here

Firefly Alternatives

Post by Nez »

Hi,

After having my Turbo Nas TS-210 around 3 months ago, i still do not have firefly media server successfully streaming my itunes library. I am fed up of trying and i really don't see why i should have to change filenames or remove files from my perfectly well organised and cleanly tagged library.

It seems to me firefly is a very moody application which isn't really fit for purpose.

Does anybody know of any alternatives to Firefly or any other way of setting up having my itunes library streaming and accessible from various locations?

Suggestions and advice welcomed
Thanks
rumknapser
Starting out

Re: Firefly Alternatives

Post by rumknapser »

Hi,
in my opinion, Firefly is a dead project. (very pity)
Also see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefly_Media_Server "Firefly Media Server is not under active development."
The Wiki http://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/How_to_instal ... r_via_ipkg is not changed since 2010, which probably means, that there is nothing to add because its running...but i guess...not.

As I stumbled here because I searched for alternatives too, *and* because of the painful experiences the last days with the Firefly Media Server deleting all my added playlists from its Database when restarting *and* crashes silently (debuglevel 9 just stops to talk) after some time, I really was looking/searching/hopeing, somebody has tried another iTunes Media Server (for i386) and can point me (now us) to some names or how-twos or maybe links.

any hint is be greatly appreciated.

cheers,

[EDIT]
funny thing is -as always- IF you talk loud and waste others time, you find a solution.
maybe this helps ([QPKG] Airplay).
Freeman111
Starting out

Post by Freeman111 »

I have firefly media server running and firefly client v0.9b

Works great with .mp3 but I can't play .m4a :(((

I agree it seems like a dead project. Have you tried sqezzebox?
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

forked-mtdaapd is always the answer to these requests - that's what is used in the Airplay QPKG most likley.
murraene
New here

Post by murraene »

It's more than a pity to not replace this outdated and caponized piece of software...
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

thanks for that insight ... 5 years after the last post

Return to “Media Streaming”