Video Station Streaming to Xbox One

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
Diablo1399
Getting the hang of things

Video Station Streaming to Xbox One

Post by Diablo1399 »

Hi everyone,

I am considering buying an Xbox One, and I have a question about DLNA streaming: If I install the Xbox Media Player App, will the Xbox One show up as a device in the "Streaming to" menu when I right-click on media in Video Station?

Many thanks
dreamps
Starting out

Re: Video Station Streaming to Xbox One

Post by dreamps »

i'm also looking into this question
TVS-682, i3, 32gb, qm2-2p10g1t
4.3.4 latest build, HD Station 3.2.3, CodexPack 4.5.0.0, Father Kodi 17.6
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

why push the video ? .. just pull it .. (from the xbox one interface)
mdhwoods
Know my way around

Post by mdhwoods »

Why not use plex?
gggplaya
Been there, done that

Post by gggplaya »

With any implementation, I think the Xbox One would have trouble with video's using DTS or AC3 sound. Does the Xbox have audio passthrough?? If you have an intel NAS, plex may be able to transcode, DLNA won't because codexpack removed the codecs.
dreamps
Starting out

Post by dreamps »

dolbyman wrote:why push the video ? .. just pull it .. (from the xbox one interface)
how do you pull the video? Could you elaborate on this please.
gggplaya
Been there, done that

Post by gggplaya »

FYI, Xbox recently added KODI to the app store, just use KODI. Problem Solved!!!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

if using KODI you pull the files.. that's what I meant
dreamps
Starting out

Post by dreamps »

gggplaya wrote:FYI, Xbox recently added KODI to the app store, just use KODI. Problem Solved!!!
i guess that's only for certain people because i tried searching in the app store and it stated I couldn't install kodi on my xbox one (original not S or X)
dreamps
Starting out

Post by dreamps »

dolbyman wrote:if using KODI you pull the files.. that's what I meant
do you use smb or nfs with kodi? I haven't tried this yet. For my music server (pi and moode) I had to create a new shared folder and set it to NFS and set the ip for my PI to access that folder. can someone point me in the right direction for accessing my videos/movies stored in my multimedia > Movies and videos folder from Kodi and other computers. thanks!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

I use DLNA (twonky)

works great
gggplaya
Been there, done that

Post by gggplaya »

dreamps wrote:
gggplaya wrote:FYI, Xbox recently added KODI to the app store, just use KODI. Problem Solved!!!
i guess that's only for certain people because i tried searching in the app store and it stated I couldn't install kodi on my xbox one (original not S or X)
My friend has it on his Xbox ONE, it's the original, not the S or X. He got it as a present several years ago. I don't own one, so I can't tell you for sure, but I know it's on there since I set it up for him. He installed the app before I got there, I merely set it up with samba to read files from his desktop computer. Perhaps you need to update your xbox, Kodi only dropped on the app store last month.

Even says it on the microsoft app store page: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p ... blggh4t892
Last edited by gggplaya on Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
gggplaya
Been there, done that

Post by gggplaya »

dreamps wrote:
do you use smb or nfs with kodi? I haven't tried this yet. For my music server (pi and moode) I had to create a new shared folder and set it to NFS and set the ip for my PI to access that folder. can someone point me in the right direction for accessing my videos/movies stored in my multimedia > Movies and videos folder from Kodi and other computers. thanks!
I've used KODI with FTP and smb. The setup is the same, just add the NAS as a source using the IP address, username and password. Set the content (as movies for me), which will allow it to pull artwork and metadata. Then it'll show up as a directory source when you go into Video-->Files.

I'll double check when I get home, but i'm pretty sure I only typed in the IP address, username and password. Then it allowed me to browse viewable shares, which I could then dive further into subdirectories and choose the folders I wanted.
dreamps
Starting out

Post by dreamps »

gggplaya wrote:
dreamps wrote:
I've used KODI with FTP and smb. The setup is the same, just add the NAS as a source using the IP address, username and password. Set the content (as movies for me), which will allow it to pull artwork and metadata. Then it'll show up as a directory source when you go into Video-->Files.

I'll double check when I get home, but i'm pretty sure I only typed in the IP address, username and password. Then it allowed me to browse viewable shares, which I could then dive further into subdirectories and choose the folders I wanted.
so I tried this yesterday on my laptop and PC, worked great on my laptop but not my PC. When I clicked on SMB And browse, the laptop saw the NAS no problem, the PC doesn't. Not entirely sure why bc they have the same settings in networking and file sharing as well. Thank you, at least i got this operational on one system. Still can't install on XBOX :(
gggplaya
Been there, done that

Post by gggplaya »

That's because PC made some changes to SMB in the Windows 10 Creator Update. It royally screwed things up.
Here's perhaps a few trouble shooting issues: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... networking

Are you using a password on your shares?? Or are you using guest access. Try disabling guest access on the NAS, and using user authentication only.

I'm still not sure why you can't get it on xbox, it should be there. I've seen it with my own 2 eyes.

Return to “Media Streaming”