How does the Multimedia Folder get the media files?

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
BrokerDon
First post

How does the Multimedia Folder get the media files?

Post by BrokerDon »

Just set up my new TS-251 and all is looking pretty good, except there is something I am not understanding about how my mp3s and jpg photos are supposed to be available to the DLNA server. My media files are not visible when I try to play them through the QNAP Roku channel or through the QMusic app on my phone.

Yes, I have DLNA enabled in the settings.

As a test, I manually copied a single mp3 file into the system shared folder called "Multimedia" on the NAS, and that song is showing up and playable through the Roku and on my phone app. So at least I know that everything is "connected" properly.

My missing link is: how do I get that multimedia folder to "point to" the two actual folders where my media files live? I know I could copy all of the files right in to the multimedia folder directly, but that just doesn't seem right (or is that what I really have to do?)

--Don
mstamate
Getting the hang of things

Re: RE: How does the Multimedia Folder get the media files?

Post by mstamate »

BrokerDon wrote:Just set up my new TS-251 and all is looking pretty good, except there is something I am not understanding about how my mp3s and jpg photos are supposed to be available to the DLNA server. My media files are not visible when I try to play them through the QNAP Roku channel or through the QMusic app on my phone.

As a test, I manually copied a single mp3 file into the system shared folder called "Multimedia" on the NAS, and that song is showing up and playable through the Roku and on my phone app. So at least I know that everything is "connected" properly.

My missing link is: how do I get that multimedia folder to "point to" the two actual folders where my media files live? I know I could copy all of the files right in to the multimedia folder directly, but that just doesn't seem right (or is that what I really have to do?)

--Don
I'm struggling with the same problem. More: I want to use two external hard drives for the same thing.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk
mstamate
Getting the hang of things

Re: RE: Re: RE: How does the Multimedia Folder get the media files?

Post by mstamate »

mstamate wrote:
BrokerDon wrote:Just set up my new TS-251 and all is looking pretty good, except there is something I am not understanding about how my mp3s and jpg photos are supposed to be available to the DLNA server. My media files are not visible when I try to play them through the QNAP Roku channel or through the QMusic app on my phone.

--Don
I'm struggling with the same problem. More: I want to use two external hard drives for the same thing.

I didn't succeed either to get in use two external HDDs for multimedia, mainly for my mp3 collection. Any idea?

MultiBoot
Starting out

Re: How does the Multimedia Folder get the media files?

Post by MultiBoot »

Hi,

Maybe it's too old, but this might work.

If you create a shared folder especially for that, let's say you name it "Music", you have an option (a checkbox) to mark it as a media folder during the creation process. It's detected afterwards.

Hope it helps (and not too late).

Return to “Media Streaming”