Stream music to google home on voice command

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
arjan@arpalesa.nl
First post

Stream music to google home on voice command

Post by arjan@arpalesa.nl »

Hi,

I've bought a google home mini. This should act as a chromecast device and the QNAP supports streaming to chromecast devices. However, I would like to make this voice activated, so I say "OK Google, play playlist 1" and then "Plalist 1" should start to play from the QNAP to the Google Home Mini.

Both Google Mini and QNAP support IFTTT, so I think I could create a IFTTT voice command trigger to the QNAP, but how would I trigger the chromecast streaming from IFTTT commands on the QNAP? I'm still new to any of these techniques, so any help would be appreciated, also if there is a better way to set this up that would be great 8)
MichaelSee
Starting out

Re: Stream music to google home on voice command

Post by MichaelSee »

arjan@arpalesa.nl wrote:Hi,

I've bought a google home mini. This should act as a chromecast device and the QNAP supports streaming to chromecast devices. However, I would like to make this voice activated, so I say "OK Google, play playlist 1" and then "Plalist 1" should start to play from the QNAP to the Google Home Mini.

Both Google Mini and QNAP support IFTTT, so I think I could create a IFTTT voice command trigger to the QNAP, but how would I trigger the chromecast streaming from IFTTT commands on the QNAP? I'm still new to any of these techniques, so any help would be appreciated, also if there is a better way to set this up that would be great 8)
I am looking at the same, have you managed to get it done?
mamaplank
New here

Post by mamaplank »

Hi MicaelSee, sorry for my delayed response. No, I did not got this to work yet, just started a new topi viewtopic.php?f=24&t=143948&p=687679&hi ... st#p687679 asking to implement the feature.

I can start music from the QNAP using IFTTT from google home, but only to start playing on local audio output, not using a chromecast device. This is possible within the Music Station so the QNAP should be able to do this.
nas19
New here

Post by nas19 »

Hi Mamaplank,

Could you share how to play music from QNAP using IFTTT? I would like to create playlist on QNAP iTunes server, and tell google home, "Hey google, play 'playlist1'"
filcap
New here

Post by filcap »

I will soon buy a QNAP TS-251A and I want to use it also on this purpose.

On Windows it is possible to use the command line application Cast (https://www.rlatour.com/cast/index.html?cast) to cast music files to a target that can be a Google Home device.
I have an idea to create a Virtual Machine to run on my QNAP NAS, and then create and deploy a web service that executes locally the Cast command (cast -device "My Google Home" -dir "<path_to_one_of_my_music_folders>").
Then I will create an IFTTT recipe triggered by a specific sentence ("Hey Google, Play my Rock playlist") that using a Webhook will make a web request to invoke the aforementioned web service.

It should work, but I don't like very much the idea to run a Windows VM... I would prefer to use a Linux VM (to consume less resources and avoid licensing problems).
Does anybody know anything similar to the "Cast" application that works on Linux?
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Hi and welcome to the forum. :)
filcap wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:17 am Does anybody know anything similar to the "Cast" application that works on Linux?
Is this what you're looking for? I've not used it myself.

http://mkchromecast.com/

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/05/mkc ... rom-ubuntu

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
filcap
New here

Post by filcap »

Hi OneCD.
Thank you very much for your reply!
OneCD wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:23 am Is this what you're looking for? I've not used it myself.
http://mkchromecast.com/
It looks pretty much like what I'm looking for.
I got it somehow basically working, but so far it needs some manuality that I must avoid (otherwise it is useless for my purposes...).
I will work on it and I'll post details if I can finally work it out.
filcap
New here

Post by filcap »

Just for reference, this is the thread I've opened on the github page of mkchromecast to better understand how to use it for such a purpose:
https://github.com/muammar/mkchromecast/issues/229
pungpond
Getting the hang of things

Post by pungpond »

Has anyone try using "cinema28" with google home yet?

Return to “Media Streaming”