QNAP TS-451+ Plex - Terrible Streaming over Wifi

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
Xibulba
New here

QNAP TS-451+ Plex - Terrible Streaming over Wifi

Post by Xibulba » Wed May 15, 2019 7:22 am

I have a TS-451+ and am running the Plex server application. I have my Playstation 4 hardlined into the network and have no issues, but anything I stream to the Roku stick in my bedroom over wifi streams like **. It constantly stops the stream to buffer and frequently will stop all together saying that it was unable to play it. I have drastically reduced the quality that anything can play on the Roku and it hasn't seemed to fix the issue. I have done quite a bit of research and should not be having these issues with the fast speed internet and router I have.

I have found several people talking about the same issues on forums and saying that the solution was to disable "Large Send Offload" LSO in Windows, which sounds like is referred to as TCP Segmentation Offload (TSO) in Linux. I'm not super familiar with Linux and have relied on the UI on the QNAP to get around, and all of the digging I have tried to do, I am not able to find this setting for the life of me, anywhere within the QNAP UI options. Here are a couple of the findings I have been referencing:

"Thank you so much. Has helped the buffering problem on my Ubuntu Server 18.04.1 and has seemed to have stopped the random crashes on everyone’s Roku. Just added the following lines to /etc/network/interfaces and restarted the network
service. (TSO is the LSO equivalent in Linux.)

offload-tx off
offload-sg off
offload-tso off"

Any help is appreciated as it is nearly impossible to watch anything from the Plex server on the Roku over wireless.

dolbyman
Guru

Re: QNAP TS-451+ Plex - Terrible Streaming over Wifi

Post by dolbyman » Wed May 15, 2019 7:28 am

a bit more info about your network would help

what wireless router ?
what is the speed that the roku is getting (should be visible in the router management pages) ?

I don;t think any changes need to be done on the qnap.. but on your network environment

Xibulba
New here

Post by Xibulba » Wed May 15, 2019 7:54 am

My router is a Linksys EA6350. I'm not sure I see anywhere that I can see the speed the Roku is getting within the router management pages.

Moogle Stiltzkin
Ask me anything

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin » Wed May 15, 2019 8:59 am

smallnetbuilders did a performance review for the linksys EA650
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireles ... l=&start=4
https://ftp.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/c ... sys-ea6500

and there is a spreadsheet for expected plex performance for the ts-451+ here
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 0jdj3tmMPc
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS (HDN724040ALE640) & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 + 16gb ddr4 Crucial + QWA-AC2600 wireless adapter.
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A w. 5x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-659 Pro II 1x 4TB HGST Deskstar NAS
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-228 w. 1x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS)
[^] QNAP TS-128
Mobile NAS TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Asus AC68U Router|100dl/50ul MBPS FTTH Internet | Windows 10, WC PC-Intel i7 920 Ivy bridge desktop (1x 512gb Samsung 850 Pro SSD + 1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Guides & articles
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review

https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman » Wed May 15, 2019 9:17 am

if plex works fine on wired connections..it shouldnt be an issue.wireless unless the roku (unlinke the wired device you tried) requests transcoding (and the 251 can't keep up)

gggplaya
Been there, done that

Post by gggplaya » Wed May 15, 2019 10:47 pm

Roku has issues with plex on linux due to the older libraries Roku uses on it's backend. I use a separate Linux server to host plex, and have Kodi boxes and Apple TV's in my house, none of them have problems. But only roku had issues with occasional buffering, even though bandwidth was fine.

I had to follow some guides to change the TSO configuration as you guys said to fix the problem for ROKU. I'm not sure how to do it on QNAP since it's a custom build of linux. But my linux server and roku work buttery smooth now with plex.

Unfortunately, I don't think the problem is necessarily with your wifi, it could be in your case, but linux + plex + Roku don't seem to work well together without configuring the TSO.

During amazon prime days coming up, you should snatch yourself an amazon firestick. I like the UI better on ROKU, but doesn't hurt to have a backup device.

Xibulba
New here

Post by Xibulba » Thu May 16, 2019 1:30 am

Yeah I'm not opposed to switching devices if the Roku really does **. I don't think it's a wireless issue either. That's why I'm desperately trying to find (with no luck), how to configure the TSO settings within the QNAP linux environment. If anyone knows how to do this or can figure it out PLEASE let me know so I can give it a try, as everyone who is running a Roku has said that resolves the problem. I do also have a PS3 hooked up to the same TV as the Roku, which I was previously using for my Plex, but was having issues with buffering on that as well (could be a separate issue).

I wouldn't mind trying the PS3 again to see if it's better, the same, or worse than the Roku, and ultimately am fine with picking up another hardware to run this off of, if I would see better results, but unfortunately there is no way for me to hardline with where this is located. When I was researching, Roku was rated as one of the higher Plex devices, including ease of use.

gggplaya
Been there, done that

Post by gggplaya » Thu May 16, 2019 2:00 am

I prefer apple tv with Infuse over roku, but it's like 3-4 times the price.

Also, are you using hardware acceleration?? What's the size in GB of the movie you're watching? Is it x265 or x264? My 451+ would struggle a little with cpu transcoding larger 8+GB movies, which is why I switched to using a separate plex server. So I could do 2 streams of cpu transcodes at any bitrate.

Xibulba
New here

Post by Xibulba » Sun May 19, 2019 12:32 am

Yeah I'm not sure what to do. I've looked at the specs and performance reviews on my router against others that was posted earlier in the thread and it doesn't look to be a bad router comparatively as far as wireless or anything else goes. So, I'm not sure that's the issue, and I'm not sure I really want to buy a new device for way more money if I'm not certain that would improve the quality of my viewing.. but I'm also not sure what else to look at. Would really be nice if anyone @QNAP or within this community had any idea how to set the TSO settings to see if that improved the ROKU streaming, which sounds like it would from many other threads I've seen with issues streaming to the ROKU with Plex.

gggplaya
Been there, done that

Post by gggplaya » Sun May 19, 2019 12:40 am

The easiest way to see if its a router or wifi bandwidth problem is to install plex on a laptop or desktop computer. Attach it to your router with an ethernet cable and stream plex to the roku. If there’s no buffering issues, then its the TSO.

If your QNAP cpu usage is at 100% then it could also be a decode and transcode issue too.

Return to “Media Streaming”