Streaming requires Hybriddesk Station reboot after each file streamed

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
nastycrap
Starting out

Streaming requires Hybriddesk Station reboot after each file streamed

Post by nastycrap »

As the title states I can now only stream one file per each reboot/restart of Hybriddesk station.
Qnap comes up with ways to ** me off daily. If I knew it was such a buggy and unstable platform I would have never bought in to it.
What was changed to cause this problem and can it be fixed.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Streaming requires Hybriddesk Station reboot after each file streamed

Post by dolbyman »

hd station is normally used for direct playback..not for streaming (external device) .. what exactly is happening and what playback programs are involved ?
nastycrap
Starting out

Post by nastycrap »

My NAS is connected to my display (TV) via HDMI cable.
I log into QTS with my browser on my laptop and navigate to "File Station" where I select a folder and then a video file, right click and select "streaming to" HD Player HDMI 1
The file will play on my monitor (TV) when the file finishes playing I select another file try to play it the same way and NOTHING.
I had played files this way for over a year and now it doesn't work for more than one file before a HD Station or system reboot.
Just did a firmware update and still no good.
nastycrap
Starting out

Post by nastycrap »

So how exactly do I stream media from my Qnas to my TV (connected by HDMI cable) and control the media selection via my laptop connected by local WIFI
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

you get a streaming capable device (TV,stick,computer) and use the QNAP as the source (SMB,DLNA,Plex,etc) that is streaming

for most streaming apps, there is external remote control apps (KODI,Plex,etc) that can play and queue files from your source to your player

the HDMI port is for direct playback... I have never used the HDMI on my NAS as external players are much more capable (HDR output and support for HD multichannel sound)
nastycrap
Starting out

Post by nastycrap »

I have tried Kodi and Plex and not a fan of those glitchy apps, never had them work for me.
I am using Video Station 5 now and it too needs to be reset or rebooted to play another file.
I am not getting some other piece of hardware, there is no reason for it.

The Qnap apps worked well for over a year and all of a sudden not. I want to know what was changed in firmware or elsewhere and what can be done to fix it.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

if you want to know what changed, you would have to ask QNAP via ticket (they do not come here)

as for help with video station, I doubt many of the forum regulars use that app, most go with the "glitchy" apps that millions of happy other users are using (Kodi,Plex,Emby,twonky) etc.
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

Since you provide no information about your NAS, QTS version, whether HDMI is directly to the TV vs through an AV receiver then to the TV, etc. it is hard to help, but as dolbyman has said, Plex works great for many of us. I have used it for many years in various ways.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq

Return to “Media Streaming”