[HELP] Multimedia console updates delete thumbnails, faces and index

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
chrisonnas
Starting out

Re: [HELP] Multimedia console updates delete thumbnails, faces and index

Post by chrisonnas » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:53 am

I didnt use QuMagie for a couple of weeks, but applied app updates as they came in. Now I can see that all my tagging and faces are gone... that was many hours of work and was nowhere near complete! I was also struggling to have simple folders of each year - that was easy to set up with smart albums, but wait ---- they are gone too!

I upgraded by TS251+ before Xmas with a second HDD to make RAID1 and installed QuMagie etc. Since then, I notice that the internal drives have been buzzing away nearly all day... I wonder if that was due to the "reindex after every reboot" bug?

Just installed PhotoStation and actually, that might be a simpler solution to what I need. Oh, and no I wont be tagging faces in it!!

gatus
Starting out

Post by gatus » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:44 am

chrisonnas wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:53 am
I didnt use QuMagie for a couple of weeks, but applied app updates as they came in. Now I can see that all my tagging and faces are gone... that was many hours of work and was nowhere near complete! I was also struggling to have simple folders of each year - that was easy to set up with smart albums, but wait ---- they are gone too!

I upgraded by TS251+ before Xmas with a second HDD to make RAID1 and installed QuMagie etc. Since then, I notice that the internal drives have been buzzing away nearly all day... I wonder if that was due to the "reindex after every reboot" bug?

Just installed PhotoStation and actually, that might be a simpler solution to what I need. Oh, and no I wont be tagging faces in it!!
Yup! They messed it up pretty good here :(
About the HDD buzzing like crazy, it happened to me, too. After it finishes indexing and generating thumbnails, it stops. I upgraded my RAM and the process is way faster. But still, recognizing faces take for ever, so if you want the HDD to rest, you'll have to stop the process (that's what I did).
And yes, PhotoStation and QuMagie use the same database (I guess). My guess is that PhotoStation will disappear or be the standard only on low-end NAS.

Write to support and demand them to work on a back-up solution for faces. I believe there is already a back up thing for regular albums, am I right? If you don't have a ton of smart albums, they should be easy to set them up again (though a back up would be nice, too). But the big issue here is with the faces.

gatus
Starting out

Post by gatus » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:59 pm

A new update (1.0.9 --> 1.0.12) for the multimedia console is on the app center! Would I be brave enough to update it? Will all our problems (except for the back up option) be solved? I'll install the update later and I'll let you know. I have the index built, thumbnails generated and some faces and some objects recognized. We'll see if it stays like that after the update and a reboot.

Even though, please, send requests to the support team to implement a back up solution for the faces. The only two support guys in my country have already sent a request to the dev. team to add this function. If we all do the same, it might be on their agenda soon.

gatus
Starting out

Post by gatus » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:29 pm

Done. Updated.
Faces didn't disappear. That's good. But indexing and thumbnail generation isn't totally fixed. It didn't start from scratch, but after updating, it started indexing and generating thumbnails. Like 140.000 files left to index and about 3.000 thumbnails remaining. It's not all of them, but still...
So, based solely on my experience, you can update the app. But I wouldn't spend countless hours again tagging faces until QNAP creates some sort of facial tagging backup.

pencilpusher
New here

Post by pencilpusher » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:10 am

I too am extremely frustrated with MutiMedia Console, PhotoStation, and QuMagie. Like others I've spent days tagging faces. I have about 13,000 photos. A few months (July-ish 2019) ago I tagged most faces and then lost all my work through some (I think Multimedia Console) update. I don't really know what caused the issue but support had to uninstall and reinstall the MultiMedia Console. It was so screwed up, they had to use console commands to delete it. Of course after this I had to re-index. So then in October I spent the next few months redoing all my work... again. Between August through December QNAP updated MultiMedia Console, PhotoStation, and QuMagie. I updated as they came out. Finally finished all my re-tagging at end of December. Everything seemed to work although can't say for sure because I wasn't doing thorough testing. All I was looking for was whether I lost all my tags in PhotoStation and QuMagie. Today I'm running into issues with the MultiMedia Console & PhotoStation (although my issues may have been present in November when Multimedia Console 1.0.9 was released). I can't pinpoint what caused my problems (assume it's one of the MultiMedia console updates; maybe 1.0.9 or 1.1.1 or 1.0.12) but I can say that upon a server reboot I get an error message saying the my MultiMedia Console database is corrupted and can't be repaired. It's basically saying I've got to re-index. I know from past experience that when I re-index, I will loose all my tags. Other issues I've noticed. In PhotoStation, I can't upload a picture. It will display the picture momentarily and then delete it with the message "Unable to upload . The following files extensions are excluded by Media Library. To update allowed extensions, got to Control Panel>Applications>Multimedia Management>Media Folder>Setting". These instructions are faulty. The path, in essence, doesn't exist. After searching for some setting to change, can't find where it's excluding .jpg's. I think this is related to the corrupt library. I'm pretty sure I could upload at the end of December after the 1.0.9 release.

The good news is all the tags I've made still exist in PhotoStation & QuMagie. All "ignored people" still exist. I can manually add new photos via Windows File Explorer to the NAS photo directory. However, PhotoStation & QuMagie don't know they exist; ie. Multimedia Console is not indexing these new photos. Further MultiMedia Console shows no photos have been indexed, no thumbnails generated, & the AI Engines show nothing (they all did at the end of December!!!). I can see the new photos in QNAP File Station though. The good news is PLEX shows the newly added photos along with all my existing photos. So at least I can display them to others.

I don't plan on re-indexing. I'm hoping that QNAP will somehow create a process to "save all my tags". If not, I plan to take screenshots (will be a lot) of all the people I've tagged. This means, as an example, that if 200 photos are associated with a tagged person, I plan to screen shot all of them and do the same for all tagged people. WHY do this? My original tagging required getting others involved to identify who people were at various stages of their life. I could not reproduce this off the top of my head. I will have to have some other method to identify folks so screenshots are the only thing I can think of to do.

To me it is strange that QNAP released MultiMedia Console 1.1.1 on January 21, 2020 AND THEN released MultiMedia Console 1.0.12 on January 22, 2020. Did they screw up their version naming convention because it looks like they are going backwards? OR did they find a MAJOR issue after they released the update, didn't warn customers, and then released 1.0.12 hoping no one would notice?

As a previous poster said, QNAP is using their customers to debug their software. I'm guessing these issues won't be fixed anytime soon. So I will use QNAP only to store photos. PhotoStation, MultiMedia Console, and QuMagie ARE just software products at an ALPHA release stage. PLEX seems to work consistently for displaying all photos in the right directory folder and correctly indexing new photos. I won't re-index to allow me to show others photos of tagged people. This won't include any new photos I've added since December but something is better than nothing at this stage. It delays having to re-tag all 13,000 photos YET AGAIN! Maybe in 2021 they will have hired better software programmers.

I recommend that others DON'T bother using the above apps (MultiMedia Console, PhotoStation, QuMagie) to avoid wasted work UNTIL QNAP releases PRODUCTION QUALITY software. If you can swing it, use PLEX.

Yop1403
New here

Post by Yop1403 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:32 am

I have another issue with Qumagie (both Qumagie and Qumagie core are the latest version as per App Center). I have added 1 folder with ca. 40,000 photos to Qumagie. But (with all the indexing, generating of thumbnails and tagging faces finished - which has cost me some days) not only the photos are appearing on Qumagie but also the S, M and XL sizes of the thumbnails - this means I have all photos 3-4x! And the weirdest: many thumbnails are being generated by my NAS not with the thumbnail generation date but with some random date which is really f***ing up my photo collection (at least in Qumagie) as photos are appearing both under the correct date and under some random dates.
At 1st thought the thumbnails (names such as SYNOPHOTO_THUMB_M.jpg ec.) have somehow come from my old Synology NAS but figured out that my QNAP Nas Is generating thumbnails with such names.
I have tried to manually delete some of the thumbnail files but they are (of course) being regenerated. When I delete the thumbnails in Qumagie they are not being shown anymore. Really really weird but I can't (and don't want to) manually curate my 40,000 photos.
Has anyone else also come across this? any ideas?
QNAP TVS672XT with 2x HDD Ironwolf 12TB in RAID1, 2x HDD Hitachi 4TB in RAID0, 2x NVME SSD Silicon Power 1TB as R/W cache in RAID1, connected to MacBook Pro 2019 over TB3. AJA Write 663-965 MB/s / Read 1500-1624 MB/s over TB3

chrisonnas
Starting out

Post by chrisonnas » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:30 am

Yop1403 wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:32 am
I have another issue with Qumagie (both Qumagie and Qumagie core are the latest version as per App Center). I have added 1 folder with ca. 40,000 photos to Qumagie. But (with all the indexing, generating of thumbnails and tagging faces finished - which has cost me some days) not only the photos are appearing on Qumagie but also the S, M and XL sizes of the thumbnails - this means I have all photos 3-4x! And the weirdest: many thumbnails are being generated by my NAS not with the thumbnail generation date but with some random date which is really f***ing up my photo collection (at least in Qumagie) as photos are appearing both under the correct date and under some random dates.
At 1st thought the thumbnails (names such as SYNOPHOTO_THUMB_M.jpg ec.) have somehow come from my old Synology NAS but figured out that my QNAP Nas Is generating thumbnails with such names.
I have tried to manually delete some of the thumbnail files but they are (of course) being regenerated. When I delete the thumbnails in Qumagie they are not being shown anymore. Really really weird but I can't (and don't want to) manually curate my 40,000 photos.
Has anyone else also come across this? any ideas?
probably better to make a new post for this, rather than add it to this thread.
maybe you could use qsirch to filter for image files with very small size and
a) work out where they are (maybe then remove that folder from the multimedia)
b) delete them in bulk?

Toxic17
Ask me anything

Post by Toxic17 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:01 am

use this link to delete .@__thumbs

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=3100&p=132543#p132543
Regards Simon

QTS 4.x User Guidex

QNAP Club Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-473-32GB QM2-2P QXG-10G1T 4.4.1.1216 • TVS-463-16GB 4.4.1.1216 QM2-2S10G1TB • TS-459 Pro 2GB 4.2.6 • TS-121 4.3.3.1161 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G •
QPKG's: TwonkyServer 8.51 • Apache73 v2441.7310 • QSonarr 3.0.3.645 • QNBZGet 21.0 • phpMyAdmin 4.9.0.1 • Qmono 5.20.1.19 • McAfee 3.0.1 • Lychee 3.2.16 • HBS 3.0.191016 • LEgo v3.1.0
Network: VM Hub 3.0 <500/35> • UniFi USG Pro 4 • UniFi USW-16-150W • UniFi USW-8-60W • UniFi CloudKey Gen2+• UniFi G3-Flex • UAP AC Pro • UAP AC Lite • SLM2008 • Dell 7050 MFF •

Yop1403
New here

Post by Yop1403 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:33 am

Great replies, thanks! Unfortunately I'm not ready for this command line coding stuff :-(
QNAP TVS672XT with 2x HDD Ironwolf 12TB in RAID1, 2x HDD Hitachi 4TB in RAID0, 2x NVME SSD Silicon Power 1TB as R/W cache in RAID1, connected to MacBook Pro 2019 over TB3. AJA Write 663-965 MB/s / Read 1500-1624 MB/s over TB3

Yop1403
New here

Post by Yop1403 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:36 am

As I outlined all these thumbnails were generated by my NAS with certain (weird) dates. I have searched for all the thumbnails and then deleted them in Qumagie which did the job for me - the thumbnails did not appear again - again some hours of work, of course...

Tournesol
First post

Post by Tournesol » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:57 am

Dear All,

I was trying to understand some of the issues I was getting when I found this forum.
This is just to confirm that I also had all kinds of weird things happening since +- the beginning of the year.
So after reading some other posts, I deleted and re-indexed + regenerated all thumbnails (__thumbs).
I redid all photos ( +-300,000 ), home/travel videos (+-1000) and music ( +- 18,000). This was done using the media console (+QNAP photo, video and music stations)
It took about 10 days for the NAS to recreate everything, when I saw that the whole indexing/thumbnail was completed tonight,
I was looking foreword to try it out. I was hoping to get my all multimedia into a reasonable shape.

I did access the QNAP DLNA server on my TV; for the photos, most of the thumbnails were actually missing (An empty boxes),
some directories and directory trees were also missing. They are all on the NAS.
For some photos where the thumbnails were available, the pictures could not be found. The same story goes for the videos.
It was even worse for the music, the album art was showing one album, the title was totally unrelated and the music played was unelated to the previous 2 metadata.
Note that when I accessed directly a small sample of the photos/Videos/Music files on the QNAP (No Station, No DLNA) from my PC, everything was as expected.

Your frustrations are shared!
If you are QNAP employee, read the previous line again!

Thanks for those who made suggestions, I will try them out probably this coming weekend on a very small sample and hope for the best!

I have a TS-651 + (16Gb memory) + 6Tb (raid1) + 2x2Tb (raid1)

Best Regards,
Tournesol,

Dic3man
Getting the hang of things

Post by Dic3man » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:02 pm

Updated to the latest multimedia console and BAM all my tagged faces were gone again.
Will not do another attempt at tagging until a backupsolution is in place.

gatus
Starting out

Post by gatus » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:58 am

Dic3man wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:02 pm
Updated to the latest multimedia console and BAM all my tagged faces were gone again.
Will not do another attempt at tagging until a backupsolution is in place.
Last update didn't break "faces" for me. Previous updates, did. I'm not tagging any more faces until a solution is reached by qnap staff (only a few to keep track if they screw up again).
I suggest you all to send requests to qnap support to implement a "back up" solution to the tagging thing of qumagie.

gatus
Starting out

Post by gatus » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:59 am

pencilpusher wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:10 am
I too am extremely frustrated with MutiMedia Console, PhotoStation, and QuMagie. Like others I've spent days tagging faces. I have about 13,000 photos. A few months (July-ish 2019) ago I tagged most faces and then lost all my work through some (I think Multimedia Console) update. I don't really know what caused the issue but support had to uninstall and reinstall the MultiMedia Console. It was so screwed up, they had to use console commands to delete it. Of course after this I had to re-index. So then in October I spent the next few months redoing all my work... again. Between August through December QNAP updated MultiMedia Console, PhotoStation, and QuMagie. I updated as they came out. Finally finished all my re-tagging at end of December. Everything seemed to work although can't say for sure because I wasn't doing thorough testing. All I was looking for was whether I lost all my tags in PhotoStation and QuMagie. Today I'm running into issues with the MultiMedia Console & PhotoStation (although my issues may have been present in November when Multimedia Console 1.0.9 was released). I can't pinpoint what caused my problems (assume it's one of the MultiMedia console updates; maybe 1.0.9 or 1.1.1 or 1.0.12) but I can say that upon a server reboot I get an error message saying the my MultiMedia Console database is corrupted and can't be repaired. It's basically saying I've got to re-index. I know from past experience that when I re-index, I will loose all my tags. Other issues I've noticed. In PhotoStation, I can't upload a picture. It will display the picture momentarily and then delete it with the message "Unable to upload . The following files extensions are excluded by Media Library. To update allowed extensions, got to Control Panel>Applications>Multimedia Management>Media Folder>Setting". These instructions are faulty. The path, in essence, doesn't exist. After searching for some setting to change, can't find where it's excluding .jpg's. I think this is related to the corrupt library. I'm pretty sure I could upload at the end of December after the 1.0.9 release.

The good news is all the tags I've made still exist in PhotoStation & QuMagie. All "ignored people" still exist. I can manually add new photos via Windows File Explorer to the NAS photo directory. However, PhotoStation & QuMagie don't know they exist; ie. Multimedia Console is not indexing these new photos. Further MultiMedia Console shows no photos have been indexed, no thumbnails generated, & the AI Engines show nothing (they all did at the end of December!!!). I can see the new photos in QNAP File Station though. The good news is PLEX shows the newly added photos along with all my existing photos. So at least I can display them to others.

I don't plan on re-indexing. I'm hoping that QNAP will somehow create a process to "save all my tags". If not, I plan to take screenshots (will be a lot) of all the people I've tagged. This means, as an example, that if 200 photos are associated with a tagged person, I plan to screen shot all of them and do the same for all tagged people. WHY do this? My original tagging required getting others involved to identify who people were at various stages of their life. I could not reproduce this off the top of my head. I will have to have some other method to identify folks so screenshots are the only thing I can think of to do.

To me it is strange that QNAP released MultiMedia Console 1.1.1 on January 21, 2020 AND THEN released MultiMedia Console 1.0.12 on January 22, 2020. Did they screw up their version naming convention because it looks like they are going backwards? OR did they find a MAJOR issue after they released the update, didn't warn customers, and then released 1.0.12 hoping no one would notice?

As a previous poster said, QNAP is using their customers to debug their software. I'm guessing these issues won't be fixed anytime soon. So I will use QNAP only to store photos. PhotoStation, MultiMedia Console, and QuMagie ARE just software products at an ALPHA release stage. PLEX seems to work consistently for displaying all photos in the right directory folder and correctly indexing new photos. I won't re-index to allow me to show others photos of tagged people. This won't include any new photos I've added since December but something is better than nothing at this stage. It delays having to re-tag all 13,000 photos YET AGAIN! Maybe in 2021 they will have hired better software programmers.

I recommend that others DON'T bother using the above apps (MultiMedia Console, PhotoStation, QuMagie) to avoid wasted work UNTIL QNAP releases PRODUCTION QUALITY software. If you can swing it, use PLEX.
Don't know what to say. I feel your frustration. Been there :(

Downside for Plex is that it's just a media server. Doesn't Id faces and so. If you like Plex, I suggest looking into Emby. It'd be the same thing, but it's open source (-ish) and it respects your privacy. You don't have to connect to their servers like plex and works great offline. Have a look: https://emby.media/nas-server.html It has an app for QNAP. If you wanna go pure FOSS, try Jellyfin https://jellyfin.org/ It's harder to install (needs to use docker), but it's more free.
Tournesol wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:57 am
Dear All,

I was trying to understand some of the issues I was getting when I found this forum.
This is just to confirm that I also had all kinds of weird things happening since +- the beginning of the year.
So after reading some other posts, I deleted and re-indexed + regenerated all thumbnails (__thumbs).
I redid all photos ( +-300,000 ), home/travel videos (+-1000) and music ( +- 18,000). This was done using the media console (+QNAP photo, video and music stations)
It took about 10 days for the NAS to recreate everything, when I saw that the whole indexing/thumbnail was completed tonight,
I was looking foreword to try it out. I was hoping to get my all multimedia into a reasonable shape.

I did access the QNAP DLNA server on my TV; for the photos, most of the thumbnails were actually missing (An empty boxes),
some directories and directory trees were also missing. They are all on the NAS.
For some photos where the thumbnails were available, the pictures could not be found. The same story goes for the videos.
It was even worse for the music, the album art was showing one album, the title was totally unrelated and the music played was unelated to the previous 2 metadata.
Note that when I accessed directly a small sample of the photos/Videos/Music files on the QNAP (No Station, No DLNA) from my PC, everything was as expected.

Your frustrations are shared!
If you are QNAP employee, read the previous line again!

Thanks for those who made suggestions, I will try them out probably this coming weekend on a very small sample and hope for the best!

I have a TS-651 + (16Gb memory) + 6Tb (raid1) + 2x2Tb (raid1)

Best Regards,
Tournesol,
I had this issues since day one. My solution was to use a Raspberry Pi with Kodi. Kodi can use several protocols to access the files. If one protocol doesn't work, another does. I haven't found a pattern, it seems to be random. Or you can use the solution I mention above (Emby...)

But the issue is still on the air. Media console is flawed. Needs fixing. Face back-up is a priority that needs addressing. We all shall push the support team to push the development team to focus on it.

Return to “Media Streaming”