TS-453Be No 4K - HELP

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
dolbyman
Guru

Re: TS-453Be No 4K - HELP

Post by dolbyman »

So you installed Plex Server on the QNAP ?

Then install the Plex Client on the TV! (if your Sony TV is using android, get it from the appstore .. I think I said this a couple of times now)

Opening a browser on the TV is NOT the way to go .. also QNAP are the wrong people to ask, either get support from Plex or Sony.
gggplaya
Been there, done that

Post by gggplaya »

Is this video from a Canon DSLR? I know for several years, Canon had to record 4k in MJPEG which made insanely huge files. MJPEG is also not very well supported by players.

I switched to Sony and never looked back. Sony now has all the lens configurations I use, even though they cost a little more than Canon.
ozphoto
Starting out

Post by ozphoto »

All the files from the Canon are *.mov files and yes they are huge, It appears these need to be transcoded to a much smaller MP4. Still in the works with all this!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

as said before..the container files do not give you an indication of codecs they have ..mp4 could be plenty of diffetent codecs..same with mov
gggplaya
Been there, done that

Post by gggplaya »

dolbyman wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:29 am as said before..the container files do not give you an indication of codecs they have ..mp4 could be plenty of diffetent codecs..same with mov
Dolbyman is correct, *.mov is just a container, the actual codec used could be anything. For example in recent years in *.MP4 files, I've seen Xvid(mpeg2), h.264 and h.265. All of which are different codecs with different file sizes but still using the MP4 container.

What model CANON camera are you using? The manual will tell us what codec it uses.

Sony used HEVC H.265 for their 4k, and nearly all players made in the last few years will support this with hardware decoding.

Starting in the Canon 5Ds and 5Dr, the 50MP cameras, in a rush to compete with Sony and trying to bring 4k into their cameras quickly. They implemented MJPEG(motion JPEG) which creates HUGE files. Many players probably don't support this with hardware decode and will have to use software decoding. The NAS's cpu probably can't handle a software decode though your PC could handle it with it's big beefy x86 processor.
ozphoto
Starting out

Post by ozphoto »

Canon 5D MK4 and a 1DX MK11
gggplaya
Been there, done that

Post by gggplaya »

Yes, both those cameras use MJPEG codec for 4k. As I said earlier, many players won't do hardware decode of MJPEG, they'll resort to software decode which is CPU intensive: https://www.slrlounge.com/canon-use-mjp ... d-mark-iv/

If you look at Steven Blackwood's post here, many players will result in choppy playback. Even transcoding using handbrake will be choppy if not done properly: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4284537

Return to “Media Streaming”