DNLA Streaming problems TS-251d possibly file permissions related

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
Growlley
New here

DNLA Streaming problems TS-251d possibly file permissions related

Post by Growlley »

I bought the TS-251d to act as a media server for my home network and I am unable to get to to function correctly nor consistantly. I am not very technical so I only have a very limited knowledge of Linux.

Dnla Server is installed and multi media services are turned on.

My setup is I have the nas itself and a DAS (DC-300) connected to the nas . In /share I have created a directory Called multimedia and shared and indexed it.

In Mulitmedia I created symbolic links like so

Mp3 -> /share/DC-300-1/Mp3
Photos -> /share/DC-300-2/Photos
Movies ->/share/DC-300-3/Movies
MartialArts /share/DC-300-4/MartialArts

And the contents are in those directories unfortunatley this has never been consistant . Some times you can see all the folder but no contents are shown on the client smart tv etc (this usually means something has gone wrong network wise and restarting The router, the nas and tv fixes this)

But currently I am unable to see anything except the Multimedia Folder , Even though they all all have the same permissions I can see the folders but not the contents nor are they being indexed (they used to be ). Content Management for DNLA is told to
index

Multimedia/
Multimedia/MartialArts/
Multimedia/Mp3/
Multimedia/Movies etc

My home net work isnt very complicated - The router is the dhcp server and the TS-251d m, smart tv etc all have static 192.168 reservedIp's served to them. That part is working

I think I have upset the file permissions in trying to get things to be more consistany - everything has +RWX and then was going to try to restrict the permissions later when it was working again. I get the same lack of results from Plex - which is why I think it's the file permissions,

Can any one tell me what the default permisson settings should be .

Also this may be a completely seperate issue but I will mention it for completeness - the nas has been fitted with a wifi6 card and very often after a restart - network and switch shows

Adapter: Wi-Fi 6 AX200 Status: Disconnected

The only solution I have found is to open the nas reseat the card and restart obviously this not ideal .

Any help would be vastly appreciated thanks.
Growlley
New here

Re: DNLA Streaming problems TS-251d possibly file permissions related

Post by Growlley »

Edit I should have mentioned , the NAS is permanently connected via ethernet cable to the router and this interface is set as the default gateway .
Poppy
Getting the hang of things

Post by Poppy »

Late reply but here goes....
You said you created a shared folder called Multimedia but I thought the installation of the media services created that. You have then created symbolic links but I have no idea why - maybe the apps don't follow the links but more likely the actual file locations are outside the share permissions. Why not just tell the DLNA application to use the /share/DC-300-X/mediatype locations as the source directories? Are those directories actually shared and therefore available? Remember that file permission does not equal share permission does not equal application permission - you need all three.

The media streaming add-on specifies the default account to be used but you can set a different account for each media receiver if you choose - that account obviously has to have permission to access all three of the files, the shares and the applications. The default is probably admin so if you, as recommended, disable the admin account that might be a problem.

+rwx permissions apply to the files themselves and should allow access to someone directly on the QNAP itself.
Shared folder permissions (options are read, read-write or deny) must be configured to allow a user to access the files from another system such as a PC or Smart TV
Application permissions must be configured to allow a user to use an application such as Video Station but DLNA access is primarily controlled by the Shared folder permissions.

Mapping a drive to the QNAP using SMB should allow you to confirm the user access to the files in question.
Poppy
Getting the hang of things

Post by Poppy »

Assuming you dont want to (or cannot) put all the files in the multimedia folder as expected by QNAP, the easiest way is probably to:
  • Create shared folders for each of the media type locations.
  • Multimedia Console --> Content Management --> DLNA :--> set each of the shared folders as content sources for the DLNA service.
  • Create a user called DLNA.
  • Control Panel --> Users --> DLNA --> Edit Shared folder permission :--> give RO access to all content source shared folders
  • Media Streaming Add-On --> Default User Account :--> select DLNA from the drop-down
  • Restart Media Streaming Add-On

Return to “Media Streaming”