news about dlna, media streaming add-on and video station?

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
contenitore21
Starting out

news about dlna, media streaming add-on and video station?

Post by contenitore21 »

hi, i access the multimedia catalog from a smart tv. I noticed that a few days after selecting videos, various sub-levels appear (category, genre, rating, director, etc ...). I tried from video station to create categories or to compile the existing ones. Now if I select the category (from tv) I don't see the ones I created but folders of the type Subtypexx (or something like that)
Questions: Has anyone noticed? Is this something new or did I not notice it?
how do you classify the contents of the catalog in order to be able to navigate there from tv?
Since you can insert tags, is there a way to always browse from TV by searching for tags? (would be extremely useful)

Thank you
Poppy
Getting the hang of things

Re: news about dlna, media streaming add-on and video station?

Post by Poppy »

It sounds like you are using the QNAP DLNA server which is managed (minimally) using the Media Streaming Add-On.
Launch Media Streaming Add-On (opens in a separate window) and the general settings allows you to configure menu styles. The media receivers tab allows you to set different menu styles for different devices (so one TV could show genre, rating etc whilst another does not)

The availability of videos in the various categories is controlled by permissions and the content management tab of the Multimedia Console (where you set the locations of all your files)
The display of the videos in the categories may be configured to be the titles you entered in Video Station but beware that the VIdeo Station separation by Series or Episode number will be ignored and the titles will be displayed on your Smart TV in alphabetical order.

It can take a lot of tinkering to get things to display the way you want for all possible options and it is quite annoying that different viewing methods display differently.
You can consider other options such as only logging into Video Station and choosing to cast the videos you want to the Smart TV that you want OR simply choosing to use a different application entirely.

Each method has its own set of pros, cons and personal preference.

Return to “Media Streaming”