DLNA streaming interrupted. DLNA server still running. QuTS Hero 4.5.3.1698

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
paulvt
New here

DLNA streaming interrupted. DLNA server still running. QuTS Hero 4.5.3.1698

Post by paulvt »

Hi all,
I've been running a TS-419Pii for 10 years or so, and DLNA worked flawlessly.
Recently upgraded to a TS-673A, 3x 6Tb Ironwolf, 1x 500G Kingston A2000 NVMe SSD, 2x 8G DDR4 RAM.
I've got one storage pool covering the HDDs and the SSD is a cache for all storage areas except for the VM folder.
I run 1x VM (2G RAM allocated, but mostly idle - just experimenting with virtualisation station.
I've got the 2x NICs in a group. All seems to work well, and getting (very) fast speeds when compared to my previous NAS.
Firmware: QuTS Hero 4.5.3.1698
All media is in the /Multimedia share - and after some days of indexing, and working out that you need some random video player app to create the previews, it all seems to work though with one issue:
We use a TV (Samsung) to watch videos via DLNA, and quite frequently the TV shows a message about "Network interrupted" (never happened on the old NAS) and the video being played stops. The DLNA server is still running, and you can easily select the same video, and it will play again, however it starts from the beginning. Sometimes the issue happens 4-5 times within 15 minutes. This is getting rather frustrating. I haven't been able to track anything in the logs yet, but also can't find the logs that show the DLNA connections/files being served to devices.

The TV and NAS are all running on ethernet.
TV -> switch -> smart switch -> (2 ports) to NAS.

Any one else experiencing this with their QNAP DLNA server? Any ideas as to what to try to fix?

One alternative is to use my raspberry pi as the DLNA server, but it irks me that the old QNAP worked brilliantly, and the new one seems a bit hit or miss currently.

Thank you
paulvt
New here

Re: DLNA streaming interrupted. DLNA server still running. QuTS Hero 4.5.3.1698

Post by paulvt »

Quick update:
Started noticing some other issues on the network between 3 workstations (games the kids were playing would randomly have sync issues and drop the game, which has not happened before). Kids were tearful as their world domination plans were in ruins, so had to investigate further.
Had a hunch that the LAG I had setup on the NAS/switch might be the issue. Still not 100% if it is or not, but I've removed the LAG, and unplugged the 2nd link to the NAS.
Also removed the LAG config on the switch.
Both were setup the same with the same 802.3ad hash policy of MAC only.

On the old NAS I had this set to MAC+IP, but got click happy with the new NAS and accidentally selected the default of MAC only.

Any one know if this could be the trouble?
The switch I'm using is a Linksys LGS308.

I might leave it for a bit and if no issues try setting it back to LAG 802.3ad with MAC+IP.

Thoughts any one?
Thank you.
paulvt
New here

Post by paulvt »

I'm putting this down to the LACP that I had configured. Running off a single NIC hasn't given me any grief yet.
paulvt
New here

Post by paulvt »

Update: power supply of my tplink switch was faulty taking my raspberry pi (dns server) offline briefly. So when this happened, the switch restarted but was so fast that it was difficult to identify. Not an issue with the nas.

Return to “Media Streaming”