Playing MKV video from QNap on an old Samsung TV

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
Post Reply
rainmanne
New here
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:51 pm

Playing MKV video from QNap on an old Samsung TV

Post by rainmanne » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:33 pm

I need to play some MKV video files from my Qnap TS-251B on my old Samsung TV (a pre-Tizen model). I've got other MKV files and they play fine. I just go to the NAS from my TV using AllShare (anyway it pops up in the sources), press on the file and play. But the new files do not play. The message is that the format is not supported. I know that MKV is a container. The difference between the files that play and those which don't is as follows:

Play
Video: 720x480, H.264 (High Profile), 29.97 fps
Audio: MPEG-4 AAC

Don't play
Video: 1920x1080, H.264 (High 10 Profile), 23.98 fps
Audio: FLAC

I wonder if it's due to FLAC, that it doesn't play or the file is too big. I tried it on the Video Station and it doesn't play either though does not show any error message just a black screen. I've got CAYIN player installed btw.

Any help is appreciated!

User avatar
dolbyman
Guru
Posts: 25336
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:11 am
Location: Vancouver BC , Canada

Re: Playing MKV video from QNap on an old Samsung TV

Post by dolbyman » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:06 pm

get a cheap playback box and attach it to the TV ..use that to play

rainmanne
New here
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:51 pm

Re: Playing MKV video from QNap on an old Samsung TV

Post by rainmanne » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:16 am

dolbyman wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:06 pm
get a cheap playback box and attach it to the TV ..use that to play
Sorry, it was not the point of the question :-)

Anyway, I have installed HD Station, but the payback is a bit laggy. I wonder if it's possible to improve it or my qnap is not powerful enough to play HD.

User avatar
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru
Posts: 10268
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:21 am
Location: Around the world....
Contact:

Re: Playing MKV video from QNap on an old Samsung TV

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:27 am

dont use hdstation for this purpose.

you can use plex to stream to your hdtv. however if your qnap is not powerful enuff, don't do live transcoding. it will just stream support formats without transcoding and that should work fine. but anything that needs live transcoding, either get a more powerful nas, or just buy a nvidia shield (an android box) that is fully capable of streaming/transcoding whatever you throw at it.

alternative to nvidia shield are cheaper android boxes, but i don't know what sort of support performance you can expect, might be ok? however to my understanding 4k Netflix will only work on the nvidia shield becauz it is certified for it. Most of the other android boxes will not do 4k netflix and instead lower the quality for that service. just something to keep in mind.

Yes i also have a samsung hdtv with tizen, it's a bad ecosystem compared to pure android :/
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)


Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin

rainmanne
New here
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:51 pm

Re: Playing MKV video from QNap on an old Samsung TV

Post by rainmanne » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:09 am

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:27 am
dont use hdstation for this purpose.

you can use plex to stream to your hdtv. however if your qnap is not powerful enuff, don't do live transcoding. it will just stream support formats without transcoding and that should work fine. but anything that needs live transcoding, either get a more powerful nas, or just buy a nvidia shield (an android box) that is fully capable of streaming/transcoding whatever you throw at it.

alternative to nvidia shield are cheaper android boxes, but i don't know what sort of support performance you can expect, might be ok? however to my understanding 4k Netflix will only work on the nvidia shield becauz it is certified for it. Most of the other android boxes will not do 4k netflix and instead lower the quality for that service. just something to keep in mind.

Yes i also have a samsung hdtv with tizen, it's a bad ecosystem compared to pure android :/
Thanks a lot for the reply! How do you stream from Plex to TV?

Regarding buying another device, I don't really stream from NAS very often. So I can live with it even if it's a bit laggy.

User avatar
dolbyman
Guru
Posts: 25336
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:11 am
Location: Vancouver BC , Canada

Re: Playing MKV video from QNap on an old Samsung TV

Post by dolbyman » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:11 am

As you have a pre Tizen TV ..we are back to a streaming box that will attach to your TV (in order to play Plex)

rainmanne
New here
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:51 pm

Re: Playing MKV video from QNap on an old Samsung TV

Post by rainmanne » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:14 am

dolbyman wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:11 am
As you have a pre Tizen TV ..we are back to a streaming box that will attach to your TV (in order to play Plex)
Can I stream from Chromecast?

Poppy
Starting out
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:49 pm

Re: Playing MKV video from QNap on an old Samsung TV

Post by Poppy » Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:27 am

Seen similar thing before with an older Samsung TV and the TV manual stated that the TV was compatible only with MP3, MP4 and AAC audio.
Recoding all files into MP4/AAC before loading them onto the NAS allowed them to be streamed to that TV in a number of ways (direct via HDMI, using DLNA etc)

Not necessarily a solution for all users!

User avatar
dolbyman
Guru
Posts: 25336
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:11 am
Location: Vancouver BC , Canada

Re: Playing MKV video from QNap on an old Samsung TV

Post by dolbyman » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:25 am

you can cast from plex to chromecast. but you would need an initiator to startbthe stream

User avatar
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru
Posts: 10268
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:21 am
Location: Around the world....
Contact:

Re: Playing MKV video from QNap on an old Samsung TV

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:45 am

rainmanne wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:09 am
Moogle Stiltzkin wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:27 am
dont use hdstation for this purpose.

you can use plex to stream to your hdtv. however if your qnap is not powerful enuff, don't do live transcoding. it will just stream support formats without transcoding and that should work fine. but anything that needs live transcoding, either get a more powerful nas, or just buy a nvidia shield (an android box) that is fully capable of streaming/transcoding whatever you throw at it.

alternative to nvidia shield are cheaper android boxes, but i don't know what sort of support performance you can expect, might be ok? however to my understanding 4k Netflix will only work on the nvidia shield becauz it is certified for it. Most of the other android boxes will not do 4k netflix and instead lower the quality for that service. just something to keep in mind.

Yes i also have a samsung hdtv with tizen, it's a bad ecosystem compared to pure android :/
Thanks a lot for the reply! How do you stream from Plex to TV?

Regarding buying another device, I don't really stream from NAS very often. So I can live with it even if it's a bit laggy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVPeWlzvSak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVCpTVH8CS8

https://youtu.be/QTwmTxtxLeQ
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)


Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin

Post Reply

Return to “Media Streaming”