DLNA server shows wrong track order for multi-CD sets

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
steevithak
Starting out

DLNA server shows wrong track order for multi-CD sets

Post by steevithak »

Example: The two CD set for Philip Glass Symphony no 5 has six tracks each on two CDs. I ripped them with full names (e.g. disk#-track#-titlename-artistname-albumname. But the DLNA server lists the tracks wrong in every DLNA client I've tried including my Sony TV, VLC player on my phone, and Rhythmbox on my Linux desktop. The album lists and plays in this order:

Disk 1 track 1
Disk 2 track 1
Disk 1 track 2
Disk 2 track 2
Disk 1 track 3
Disk 2 track 3
Disk 1 track 4
Disk 2 track 4
Disk 1 track 5
Disk 2 track 5
Disk 1 track 6
Disk 2 track 6

I've tried changing the setting in the DLNA server (Media Streaming Add-on -> Browsing Settings -> Music Title Display Style) to all options including "Filename" and "Track - Title / Artist - Album" but the track order remains consistently wrong in all players.

It seems as if the DLNA server is not taking the album/disk number into account when ordering the tracks. This should be a simple fix. Is the DLNA server QNAP uses open source? Can anyone point me to the source code? Or alternately is there an open source DLNA server that works better than QNAP's in this regard? Other suggestions? Is the DLNA server expecting a different filename scheme for multi-disk sets than I'm using?
spile
Been there, done that

Re: DLNA server shows wrong track order for multi-CD sets

Post by spile »

I would use Mp3Tag to ensure that the track tag and Discnumber tag are set correctly. I use Minimserver on the Qnap NAS. Depending on the record, I will sometimes treat a double CD as two different albums and give them separate names. EG Book of Longing Disc 1 and Book of Longing Disc 2.
steevithak
Starting out

Post by steevithak »

Thanks for the suggestion. Looks like Mp3tag is a Windows program, so that won't work for me. But I use Picard, an open source tag editor on my Linux box and it shows each track in question as having a "Disk Number" tag of 1 or 2 and a "Track Number" number tag of 01 through 06. So if the DLNA server was using the tags correctly, it seems it should see the tracks as 1-01, 1-02, 1-03, 1-04, 1-05, 1-06, 2-01, 2-02, 2-03, etc. I ripped the CD with Sound Juicer and it generated the tags as part of the process. Sound Juicer uses MusicBrainz for some of the metadata.

I did one further test and pointed the Rhythmbox player directly to the directory containing the 2 disk album and it loaded the files in correct order (and played them in the correct order). But when I use it as a DLNA client and access the same files via the DLNA server, it plays them in the wrong order. So my impression is that this is a bug in the DLNA server not using the disk number when ordering the tracks. I filed a bug report with QNAP but I don't see any way to check the status of the bug or even get a bug report number. And I got no reply or acknowledgement that they received the bug report so I'm not optimistic. I think my next step will be to look for an open source DLNA server that can run on the QNAP box. Anyone have a suggestion?
Poppy
Getting the hang of things

Post by Poppy »

The easiest way is to go into the Music Station and change the track numbers to read:
Disc 1: 101, 102, 103
Disc 2: 201, 202, 203
Disc 3: 301. 302. 303 etc

DLNA will then display them in the correct order.
steevithak
Starting out

Post by steevithak »

I have a fairly large collection of CDs, so going in and munging the track names on every multi disk set just to work around bugs in the server doesn't sound like a lot of fun. Instead, I looked around and found a better DLNA server to use. I uninstalled the QNAP media/dlna apps and installed Jellyfin, an open source / free software DLNA server. It has a number of advantages including correct handling of multi-disk albums by using the disk # + track # so they show up and play in the correct order. There's also a Jelllyfin android client that works great on my Sony TV and displays album artwork while playing the tracks. It has way better search capabilities than I was getting using the QNAP DLNA (I'm not certain how much of the search functionality is the client vs the server though). But I'm happy, Jellyfin does everything I need and since it's open source, I can report bugs, track progress on the bugs, and even contribute fixes if I want. Here are the links if anyone else is interested:

Jellyfin source
https://github.com/jellyfin

Jellyfin QNAP package for v10.7.7.1 (for Intel CPUs, worked on my TS-251+)
https://github.com/pdulvp/jellyfin-qnap-intel

There's also a QNAP Docker package of the slightly older v10.7.7.0 but the maintainer charges a small fee for the download (I didn't try this one)
https://www.qnapclub.eu/en/qpkg/693
Poppy
Getting the hang of things

Post by Poppy »

Not found a DLNA server that doesnt have some problem to some people.
The Twonky server helped with some issues that users experienced with the QNAP built-in DLNA (mostly related to track order) but then the user complained that the titles were wrong and it was found the titles were only read from the track attributes so the user would have had to go through each file attribute updating them manually and in a way that does not seem to be easily performed on the QNAP itself.
Good to hear you found a server that works for you.
If anyone knows a good way to edit the file attributes on the QNAP (such as copying the titles from Video Station into the file attribute "title" field) then I would love to hear it
spile
Been there, done that

Post by spile »

I have no issues running MinimServer on the Qnap.

Return to “Media Streaming”