new to QNAP, some Media setup questions ....

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
cs7404
Know my way around

new to QNAP, some Media setup questions ....

Post by cs7404 »

hello,
trying to setup the DLNA service on a new TS-453D but other devices in my LAN cannot see the DLNA server. in control panel, i have DLNA Media Server enabled, but 'Multimedia Console' prompts me to install the app of the same name and I don't see that in the app center. In app center there is something called 'Media Streaming add-on' but installing doesn't seem to work.

i assumed QNAP NAS's have a default or basic DLNA server built into QTS. In the past, another brand NAS I used had Twonky built-in, but for QNAP it appears that I have to buy a license to use it on the TS-453D .... that would be my last resort if it's the best option for my needs.

as i started installing apps on a clean-slate, I noticed a share called 'Multimedia'. Haven't yet put anything in it because I chose to put all my media content in the Public folder, thinking I could choose whatever folder I want for the DLNA server to scan. I was not sure that by putting all my multimedia into the Multimedia folder, that the DLNA server would rearrange the location of the files or create new folders and sort on it's own. I have everything organized in a certain way for mapping purpose from other LAN computers.

my FW is 4.5.2.1594.
----------
TS-453D
QTS 5.1.1.2491
cs7404
Know my way around

Re: new to QNAP, some Media setup questions ....

Post by cs7404 »

anyone have some suggestions ?

first option i can try is updating my firmware and try the add-on again to see if it sticks.
----------
TS-453D
QTS 5.1.1.2491
cs7404
Know my way around

Post by cs7404 »

resolved after updating to fw 4.5.4.1892
----------
TS-453D
QTS 5.1.1.2491
constvoid
Starting out

Post by constvoid »

It's good to hear you've fixed you problem, but as you're new to QNAP it's worth a timely reminder that you shouldn't attempt to expose your NAS to the internet. There's another ransomware attack in progress (deadbolt) which it would be best to avoid.
cs7404
Know my way around

Post by cs7404 »

constvoid wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:58 pm It's good to hear you've fixed you problem, but as you're new to QNAP it's worth a timely reminder that you shouldn't attempt to expose your NAS to the internet. There's another ransomware attack in progress (deadbolt) which it would be best to avoid.
thanks for the advice, i've been following the news on that. been drilling thru QTS and my router to configure to make sure my LAN is as secure as I can make it.

i keep an external RAID1 (offline) that i only power on to do a backup of my stuff. once i'm done updating all settings and my files, will generate my first full HSB3 backup.
----------
TS-453D
QTS 5.1.1.2491

Return to “Media Streaming”