HELP! Native format media streaming LAN only. So confused.

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
untamedinc
Starting out

HELP! Native format media streaming LAN only. So confused.

Post by untamedinc »

I have a QNAP TS-364 connected via LAN, internet and HDMI to a TV.
I also have a QNAP TS-431P2 connected via LAN and internet that is a full backup of the TS-364

For years, I have been streaming my media from these devices on my local LAN network only (I don't do any streaming over the internet outside the home, I only stream my media on my LAN).

I use 4k Amazon Firesticks with QMEDIA APP to stream all files just fine on living room, garage and bedroom TVs. I also stream to a Samsung UBD-M7500 4k Blu Ray player in a basement home theater using DLNA since I can passthrough any type of format, video and audio with zero issues.

This is all worked great for me for years, however, the biggest thing I miss is my media organized with movie covers, movie information, ratings, categories, etc.

My main concern is streaming all media without doing any transcoding (excess processing) as I always want to be able to stream whatever size, format or high quality audio my files are in. Thus far, I have had zero issues with the above setup. But again, I really miss now having something like Plex to organize everything.

I discovered my HDMI to Denon Receiver from my QNAP TS-364 can't push TrueHD nor DTS audio. I read it might be an issue with the Intel processor or HDMI port limits on this device. I can only use QMEDIA on my Firesticks to stream my QNAP media natively that I can tell. Same with the Samsung BluRay player DLNA.

I am either going to just keep things as they are and stare at files and folders, sorted by name or latest available (boring, dull yellow folders) or looking for help based on my needs and setup above to figure out if there is a way to stream all Media to these devices without any conversion if possible. I keep reading all these apps have issues with formats, codecs, high quality audio etc so I just quit trying and left things basic because it just works.

Any feedback or thoughts would be awesome and I am grateful for any feedback. Thanks.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: HELP! Native format media streaming LAN only. So confused.

Post by dolbyman »

Forget your NAS HDMI port.

Install Plex Server on the x86 NAS and use Plex Player on whatever your players of choice are (e.g. firestick) .. done, your own private netflix style media center (check Plex page for instructions)
untamedinc
Starting out

Post by untamedinc »

dolbyman wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:57 am Forget your NAS HDMI port.

Install Plex Server on the x86 NAS and use Plex Player on whatever your players of choice are (e.g. firestick) .. done, your own private netflix style media center (check Plex page for instructions)
Will Plex allow me to turn transcoding off and play .mkv HEVC Atmos/DTS:X 4K files as is without issue or any conversions or downscaling and still get the full effect in a home theater setting?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

If your client supports all these things .. then yes

I run 4k HDR10 or DV in Atmos(THD and DD+) or DTS:X with no issue from Plex.
untamedinc
Starting out

Post by untamedinc »

dolbyman wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:04 am If your client supports all these things .. then yes

I run 4k HDR10 or DV in Atmos(THD and DD+) or DTS:X with no issue from Plex.
Any recommendation on a device that can handle the Atmos/TrueHD7.1/THD audio? My findings are:

My Amazon 4k firesticks can't accept the passthrough HQ audio streams with Plex app. I can downgrade audio with Plex if needed in a non-home theater setting so i'm ok with that.
My Samsung UBD-M7500 running Plex app clips constantly, audio and video (likely just can't process well, even though QNAP Plex Server and System running at 10% constantly). Too bad since it's in my home theater.
My Samsung UBD-M7500 can handle any file/pass-through of all audio streams on DLNA no problem, but if the file has more than 2 subtitles, the video clips. So i'd have to strip all my files of most subtitles (no thank you).

I feel like i'm back to square one again, although Plex is solving my organization issue, I now need a flawless player to use. I'm looking for a device to play native 2160p HEVC DTS-MA TrueHD 7.1 Atmos files without any passthrough issue, clipping, etc. It's not the QNAP, it runs 10% at all times with any HQ file playing. It's finding a device to hook up to the network, with HDMI to a receiver that plays these files flawlessly with Plex that I need a suggestion on. Thanks for any suggestions.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Windows HTPC Plex (if your PC can do HDR) and NVIDIA Shield can do that
Last edited by dolbyman on Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

untamedinc wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:03 am
Any recommendation on a device that can handle the Atmos/TrueHD7.1/THD audio? My findings are:
use this to filter what supports you require
https://versus.com/en/streaming-device

i know a nvidia shield usually works, but not fully sure if it fully supports everything you require of it. u best double check :'

for how to get a netflix similar look, the options i know are, either Plex, or Kodi, to give you that look and feel, but for lan streaming playback from media hosted on your NAS.

Updated Guide to Installing KODI on Your QNAP NAS in 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz68AHsvko0

And if you plan to run your plex server directly from your nas, and you expect it to playback without stutter, then you best hope you got a monster nas like this guy :'

This NAS is Insane Overkill & Plex Monster | QNAP TVS h1288x Review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vwuGkVPQtc

or just get nvidia shield which just playsback whatever you throw at it :)
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
untamedinc
Starting out

Post by untamedinc »

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Really appreciate the time and efforts here. I will be digging in this weekend with the above options to experiment.

Return to “Media Streaming”