Plex for HD Station no longer launches

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
boomer11
First post

Plex for HD Station no longer launches

Post by boomer11 »

Hi All,

Bit of a newbie when it comes to using a NAS for media streaming.

I purchased a TS-252D 6 months ago and followed the steps online to install Plex Media Server and then Plex Media Player into HD Station after installing the QNAP Club Repository.

All was working well till a couple of weeks ago when using Q remote to select Plex Media Player, it had the loading icon but would not launch the app. Other apps do run on HD Station but Plex Media Player will not. I have reinstalled but Plex Media Player and HD station to no avail.

Not across the workings enough to be able to roll back.

Any and all suggestions gratefully received.

Kind regards

Boomer11
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Plex for HD Station no longer launches

Post by dolbyman »

plex for hd station was discontinued years ago

use the qnap as the server and any other device as a player (smart tv, android box, browser,etc)
jmine
New here

Post by jmine »

Hey Boomer I wanted to let you know you're not alone. I have a TVS-872XT and have been running Plex Media Player in HD Station for a long time, now suddenly it will not launch when activated!

I downloaded the other choice for Plex Media Player and it did not work, I then reloaded the original V:2.58.0.200 but same thing, it will not launch, no error just a few spins and it just sits there.

I sure hope someone finds a solution for this...
jmine
New here

Post by jmine »

Dolbyman, The only reason some of us have invested into a QNAP NAS is to use it as a Plex Media Server / Media Center with HDMI. Not having support for Plex Media Player just does not make sense. As you stated there is a Plex Media Player for almost every device, why not HD Station? I have faith that someone will find a fix for this as it was working great up to now.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

QNAP are horrible players (e.g. latest HD Station breaks Kodi support, for instance), QNAP does not care about player support (try to contact them about Plex or Kodi, they will say it's unsupported) and Plex has given up on it.

I am not affiliated with QNAP and I have said many times that QNAP should stop advertising 1080p/4k playback on their NAS devices if they do not deliver any sort of comprehensive player. (with good audio/video support)

But all of this easily mitigated by using a cheap android box for a couple of bucks with a fraction of the energy usage of a x86 NAS.

QNAP = Headless Plex server
Android Box/SmartDevice/WebGUI = Plex Player

QNAP side ventures (other than data storage) seem to (more often than not) end in bad products

- Video Players/Playback (no comprehensive software or standalone products left)
- Wifi cards (bad compatibility and integration)
- Routers (have seen some issue threads about them, but market penetration could be low)
- Switches (they seem OK, but unmanaged switches could be a simple OEM re-branding without much need for additional software development)

And all sorts of software that either went nowhere or left users hanging (Karaoke station, DJ2Live Station, Hyper Data protector, Notes Station,etc)
josephmpk
First post

Post by josephmpk »

Same problem here. I have TS-453D. Plex V2.58 stopped working after upgraded to HD Station 4.2.3! Downgrade HD Station back to 4.0.14 and Plex works again with Dolby Atmos!
MLC-Leandros
New here

Post by MLC-Leandros »

josephmpk wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:12 am Same problem here. I have TS-453D. Plex V2.58 stopped working after upgraded to HD Station 4.2.3! Downgrade HD Station back to 4.0.14 and Plex works again with Dolby Atmos!
Sorry for this noob question but how/where do I find the package to downgrade?

I'm struggling with the same issue. :-/
MLC-Leandros
New here

Post by MLC-Leandros »

Older versions of HD Station are found here:
https://forum.qnapclub.de/thread/50325- ... ons-links/
cbcomm
First post

Post by cbcomm »

Thanks working !! you are my new HERO!!!
Doggy88
First post

Post by Doggy88 »

josephmpk wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:12 am Same problem here. I have TS-453D. Plex V2.58 stopped working after upgraded to HD Station 4.2.3! Downgrade HD Station back to 4.0.14 and Plex works again with Dolby Atmos!
Hy!

Same problem! if I install the hd station version 4014, the plex media player works, but most of the other recent applications (hd player, photo station, video station) are as if they are not installed. if I want to install it, it only allows me to update the HD station. what is the solution? actually i need the hd player for viewing pictures. I like it! is there an older version that works with the 4014 hd station? or does anyone know a better picture viewer then the photo station?
diwiwi
Easy as a breeze

Post by diwiwi »

You can try to find older apps here, but not sure they can all be found
https://www.qnap.com/en/app_center/

That said, you have installed an outdated version of HD Station. And planning to install outdated versions of the HD Station applications. Not sure anything will work well with the QTS apps (outside of HD Station).

-

Return to “Media Streaming”