Pixelation and skipping when streaming

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
mir3acles
New here

Pixelation and skipping when streaming

Post by mir3acles »

Hi,
For the past month or so I have noticed that some of the videos (blu-rays and home videos) have become pixelated and skipping media. I have Nvidia shield tv and qmedia installed. They have worked fine in the past so it must be something related to the software. I also have synology nas and I played the same media with Synology and it works fine without any skipping and pixelation. Has anyone else had this issue? I have upgraded to the latest firmware and the issue persists with the past and new firmware. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Pixelation and skipping when streaming

Post by dolbyman »

if you have a shield ..why use qmedia and not Kodi?

Also never say "latest" always state software version and build..amongst the actual NAS model
mir3acles
New here

Post by mir3acles »

Thank you. Yes I also have kodi and its the same with both qmedia and Kodi with pixelation. I have Qnap TS-453-Be and the version is 5.0.0.2131.When I stream the same video through synology and Kodi there is no pixelation.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Use the QNAP as SMB location for Kodi, if anything is pixelated then it's the file or the player (the QNAP just serves the file.. does not touch it)
mir3acles
New here

Post by mir3acles »

Thank you. It is connected through smb. So I tried moving the same file to another volume/ drive on qnap and no pixelation at those same scenes. Could it be the hard drive failing? I did a performance test/ bad sector test on that volume (I have two 4 tb red plus) but it came out to be fine and snap says drive is in good condition.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Only reason for pixelation I can think of would be too slow of transmission speed and how the player handles it .... (pixelation or merely buffering)
mir3acles
New here

Post by mir3acles »

Its both pixelation and stuttering. Sometime the video would also get stuck in a loop. I have Kodi 19.3 on Nvidia shield TV. Thank you so much for helping.
Last edited by mir3acles on Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

What is the speed from the NAS when you do a plain file transfer? (same transmission media as for the player e.g. wifi)
mir3acles
New here

Post by mir3acles »

So I installed new hard drive WD Red plus and transferred the movies that were giving the issues but same pixelation issue. At this point I don't know what's going on since the same files play without issues with Synology and kodi. The speed is very good. It is hard wired by 1gb lan to both then as and NVIDIA Shield.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

to check if the video files are broken..when you transfer a video file from NAS to a USB stick..they work fine on a player?
serge35
Know my way around

Post by serge35 »

Can you try other type of player on your Nvidia? Plex or Emby or Jellyfin or DLNA app for android.....
Also check whiсh video resolution of streaming file on your TV (usually button Info of TV remote)
Aslo check settings of Qnap NAS - may be Transcoding is switch on
mir3acles
New here

Post by mir3acles »

Yeah I tried Plex and same issue as with kodi. How can I check if transcoding is switched on in Qnap?
serge35
Know my way around

Post by serge35 »

as I see Qnap TS-453-Be has HDMI plug - can you connect nas via HDMI cable and check
also I did not understand regarding video resolution on your TV when file is streaming

Return to “Media Streaming”