[Help needed] Play NAS Music Library thru a Smart Speaker

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
RPrinceton
New here

[Help needed] Play NAS Music Library thru a Smart Speaker

Post by RPrinceton »

Hello,
I have an extensive music library I've accumulated thru the years. The tracks all reside on my QNAP TS-451+ NAS device.
The goal is to be able to play the music thru a smart speaker and control the music e.g., shuffle, repeat, play by genre perhaps thru a phone app. I have not purchased the smart speaker yet or downloaded any phone app because I am in the process of gathering info to guide me with regard to what is needed. My understanding is that no apps can be installed on a smart speaker (maybe it can be done with certain smart speaker brands e.g., Sonos...don't know, looking for guidance). I've heard terms such as Chromecast and MusicCast but I think these are device/brand specific and not necessarily to be able to play thru smart speakers. I believe it can be done using QNAP apps, however I don't want to have to run to my computer to switch genre's or repeat a song which is why I think a phone app might be the way to go. At this juncture I am open to any and all guidance.
Thank you in advance.
Regards,
RPrinceton
Last edited by dolbyman on Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: [Help needed] Play NAS Music Library thru a Smart Speaker

Post by dolbyman »

A HowTo implies that you are posting a tutorial, not seeking advice..so I fixed your topic title

I use Plex with Plex Music (not with a smart speaker though) .. but they offer some compatibility info here
https://www.plex.tv/apps-devices/
RPrinceton
New here

Post by RPrinceton »

Thank you for correcting the post.
Crucial Kiwi
New here

Post by Crucial Kiwi »

All (or at least the common ones like heos, sonos etc) wireless/smart speakers have an app that will play music from a nas. Typically they will use dnla which is supported by qnap with the media streaming add on or there are some other options such as jellyfin.

You will need a smart phone to drive it, as far as I am aware most dont have an easy way to play music from a laptop or whatever else, it needs to be a smartphone, on the lan running the app from the speaker company.

Of course there are other options such as bluetooth but to my mind that misses the point of a smart speaker.

Return to “Media Streaming”