Video streaming performance

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
brightstar21
Starting out

Video streaming performance

Post by brightstar21 »

Hi,

I have a TS-253A for several years and from time to time I'm facing video streaming issues that I would like to finally resolve.
Here is my setup:
1. Qnap 253A with Intel Celeron CPU N3160, up to 1601 MHZ (4 cores, 4 threads) with 4GB memory.
2. 2 x 4 TB disks (WD Red; SATA 6Gb/s - buffer: 64 MB; WD40EFRX-68N32N0). The sequential read speed is 130 MB/sec and has around 50-70 IOPS read results. Both disks are in Raid1 configuration with Thick storage (which I don't really need its benefits).
3. The device is connected to an Asus RT-AX88U through TL-WPA8630 (LAN over powerline) as I don't have wired internet connectivity between Qnap and the router. Previously I tried using a non-certified USB WiFi adaptor with the Qnap device, but it was not stable.
4. Qnap has local video files in HD format (not 4k), and the player is a Mibox3 device connected also on Wifi (tried both 2.4 and 5 networks). Mibox runs the Kodi app to stream videos.
5. Qnap has a QVR pro with 2 cameras connected, and the Container station running 3 dockers (Medusa, Torrent, and Jackett)

The problem is that from time to time when I play video files from the Qnap device, Kodi is buffering the video. It doesn't happen with all files but with some of them. Tried using only x264 and x265 but I still get the same issues.
I've tried connecting a USB-LAN adaptor to the Mibox but the buffering issue still occurs.
When I ping the Qnap device from the route, I get an average of 2.2ms delay. When I ping the Mibox from the router, I get an average of 3.5ms delay.

I'm looking to understand what actions I can do to resolve it.
Should I replace the disks with 7200rpm, convert them somehow to static storage, try to lan-wire the Qnap device to the router, etc?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Regards,
Brights
serge35
Know my way around

Re: Video streaming performance

Post by serge35 »

As I understood Qnap has wired connection via 220v socket (Powerline). Can you measure speed using Powerline?
And why are you using Kodi? Try other non-heavy streaming software (Plex, Emby, Jellyfin).
Some time ago I also used Powerline units but speed of this tehnology is depends from a lot of factors. And I started to use coaxial tv cable for ethernet connection. For example now I have speed more than 100 m/b using coaxial tv cable between my tv and Qnap.
Gaudi
Easy as a breeze

Post by Gaudi »

Powerline adapters are not very reliable, and very prone to interference.
Their advertised speed is far from real.
Get a proper mesh system and it should solve many of your issues.

I have done that in the past.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

I use powerline for my bedroom, works ok, but effective bandwidth is 150-200MBit..even though the package promises 10x more (works well enough for my use of streaming Plex to my TCL roku TV)
brightstar21
Starting out

Post by brightstar21 »

Thank you all for the advices!
I've relocated the Qnap device and hard-wired it to the router (without the powerline adaptor) and now everything seems to be working fine.

Return to “Media Streaming”