Processor Issues with Certain 4K Movies Played via Emby Media Server

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
jprobins
Starting out

Processor Issues with Certain 4K Movies Played via Emby Media Server

Post by jprobins »

I use Emby as a media server for video and music. I recently added the Harry Potter movies in 4K. The audio codecs available are DTS-HD MA 7.1, DTS 5.1, and AC3 Stereo. Oddly, the AC3 audio includes a voiceover narration. I am not really sure what that is for, but I do not see an option to turn it off. Using either DTS codec, the movie will play for 10 to 15 minutes, and then start to pixelate. From the earlier discussions, I am guessing that this is a processing power issue. Is there any reason to think that is incorrect?

I run Emby on a QNAP TS-251+ NAS, with a Celereon J1900 processor. Does it make sense that that would be underpowered to run these? Or is it likely something else is going on?

I am toying with upgrading to a QNAP TVS-h674, which has a Core™ i5-12400 processor. So, a significant step up in processing power. Presuming it is a processing power issue, it is likely this would solve it?

As an aside, I note that other 4K movies I have play fine with DTS 5.1 codec.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Processor Issues with Certain 4K Movies Played via Emby Media Server

Post by dolbyman »

Is there any transcoding going on?

Without transcoding ...CPU usage should be low

Best to report your issue to the emby forum or support.
jprobins
Starting out

Post by jprobins »

There is transcoding going on. I am playing the movie on the Samsung TV Emb y app. If I play it directly on the computer using Emby Theater, there should be no transcoding and the video plays fine. I have copied this enquiry to the Emby board as well, but they are not necessarily as familiar with the QNAP NASes as y'all are.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Well Samsung has discontinued DTS support many years ago (my 2016 KS8000 was the last model to support a half baked DTS passthrough solution). Transcoding should happen via the DTS-HD embedded core stream and should not really cost much performance at all.

Video transcoding would be a different story (even more so if any tonemapping is involved)

Return to “Media Streaming”