No good media server for Qnap??

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
keashdoc
Starting out

No good media server for Qnap??

Post by keashdoc »

Hi

I have a Q nap 253A and I’m trying to look for a good media server that I can share my MP4 files on all the Amazon cubes throughout my house. I’ve been looking for a decent media server for years and I am very surprised that None of them work even remotely close to what one would expect from media server. I tried installing Plex but it does not automatically update gnu the added media files and you have to manually update every time no matter what the settings are. Plus the remote performance is very choppy. I put in jellyfin and was very hopeful but on the remote end when you play a media file there are no fast forward and rewind buttons on the media player. I’m not looking for anything fancy. I just want to be able to store my media files on the QNAP NAS and have a very simple interface on the remote end and to play my files with rewind and forward button. Is that too much to ask? I’m very curious what all of you guys are using to stream media as I have been unsuccessful at this for years even with having a tech background. Any help/input would be greatly appreciated.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: No good media server for Qnap??

Post by dolbyman »

What is the "gnu" of the media files?

My Plex updates all folders mere seconds after files were added.

Plex has great options for music (auto DJ options with sweet fades and genre mixes), no idea what these amazon boxes support or not though.
peelos
Been there, done that

Post by peelos »

Same here, Plex is just great when you get it setup properly, and that shouldn't be difficult for a tech savvy user, plenty of help on the plex forum as well.
NAS: TVS-1282-i7-7700-40G / 4 x 500GB SSD 2.5" RAID 10 / 2 x 500GB M.2 SSD / 8 x 12TB WD Whites 3.5" RAID 6 / Noctua L9x65 / 3 x 80mm PWM Noctua fans / Corsair 600W PSU / Asus Turbo GTX 1060 6GB GPU
Software: Plex Media Server / Transmission / Sonarr / Radarr / Bazarr / Jackett / Tautulli / Home Assistant / Resilio Sync / Python / NetData / SortMyQPKGs
pfSense Firewall / OpenVPN Server: QOTOM Fanless Mini PC / Core i5 / 8GB RAM / 128GB SSD / 4 Gigabit NICs / AES-NI
Wireless Routers: 2 x Netgear AC1900 R7000 Nighthawk / 1 x Netgear AC3200 R8000 Nighthawk / FreshTomato Firmware
PeterT1959
Know my way around

Post by PeterT1959 »

I think the OP meant .
I tried installing Plex but it does not automatically update newly added media files
Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

keashdoc
Starting out

Post by keashdoc »

Thank you everyone for the responses. Yes sorry the gnu was just a keyboard typo. Truly I have tried installing PLEX multiple times and keep uninstalling it because it does not index new files consistently. Also I'm looking for an interface simply for my own files and not the external offerings for Plex so I find the interface very cumbersome and not intuitive at all from the client side. Also I was curious for anyone using jellyfin how do you get a good client side media player which has fast forward and rewind controls and will remember the last position left off when playing a media file. Thank you again for all your help.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Not sure what about Plex is cumbersome..if you can use netflix, you can use Plex

Plex remembers all my media file playback positions and I can fast forward and rewind in video and audio files
keashdoc
Starting out

Post by keashdoc »

Also when I digitize certain TV shows into a specific folder and it creates multiple files for each episode Plex tries to go to the internet to match it up with existing shows and shows different file names which make it difficult to navigate.
moody_blue
Easy as a breeze

Post by moody_blue »

keashdoc wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 8:28 am Plus the remote performance is very choppy.
TS-253A has a slow processor when Plex remote access is necessary. In order to get acceptable performance you may need to recode some mp4's (specially the high bitrate ones) in order to avoid online transcoding. Plex allows you to have several versions of the same film/tv show and pick the best fit for the player.
QNAP TS-253A 8G QTS 5.0.1.2145
Plex Media Server 1.29.0.6209
OpenHAB 3.4.0.M2
Unifi 7.2.92
Apache80 2454.8230
GLPI 10.0.3
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

I litterally throw all tv shows in one folder and plex sorts them into the correct shows with index actor infos etc

I am not sure why you have so many issues

For these little Celeron units, a Plexpass is pretty much a must (have the GPU do the transcoding work)
peelos
Been there, done that

Post by peelos »

For proper file naming checkout Sonarr and Radarr connected to plex
NAS: TVS-1282-i7-7700-40G / 4 x 500GB SSD 2.5" RAID 10 / 2 x 500GB M.2 SSD / 8 x 12TB WD Whites 3.5" RAID 6 / Noctua L9x65 / 3 x 80mm PWM Noctua fans / Corsair 600W PSU / Asus Turbo GTX 1060 6GB GPU
Software: Plex Media Server / Transmission / Sonarr / Radarr / Bazarr / Jackett / Tautulli / Home Assistant / Resilio Sync / Python / NetData / SortMyQPKGs
pfSense Firewall / OpenVPN Server: QOTOM Fanless Mini PC / Core i5 / 8GB RAM / 128GB SSD / 4 Gigabit NICs / AES-NI
Wireless Routers: 2 x Netgear AC1900 R7000 Nighthawk / 1 x Netgear AC3200 R8000 Nighthawk / FreshTomato Firmware
moody_blue
Easy as a breeze

Post by moody_blue »

dolbyman wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 10:59 pm For these little Celeron units, a Plexpass is pretty much a must (have the GPU do the transcoding work)
Not of great help in the TS-253A (I have one).
QNAP TS-253A 8G QTS 5.0.1.2145
Plex Media Server 1.29.0.6209
OpenHAB 3.4.0.M2
Unifi 7.2.92
Apache80 2454.8230
GLPI 10.0.3
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

I have a 951X and it is a great plex server (with Plexpass) just not for tonemapping hdr>sdr
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

keashdoc wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 8:28 am Hi

I have a Q nap 253A and I’m trying to look for a good media server that I can share my MP4 files on all the Amazon cubes throughout my house.

I’ve been looking for a decent media server for years and I am very surprised that None of them work even remotely close to what one would expect from media server. I tried installing Plex but it does not automatically update gnu the added media files and you have to manually update every time no matter what the settings are.

Plus the remote performance is very choppy. I put in jellyfin and was very hopeful but on the remote end when you play a media file there are no fast forward and rewind buttons on the media player. I’m not looking for anything fancy.

I just want to be able to store my media files on the QNAP NAS and have a very simple interface on the remote end and to play my files with rewind and forward button. Is that too much to ask? I’m very curious what all of you guys are using to stream media as I have been unsuccessful at this for years even with having a tech background. Any help/input would be greatly appreciated.
amazon cube?

for things like plex, jellyfin, emby, you can access it via a browser on e.g. desktop/laptop, or via the mobile app.

when you say remote do you mean over the internet or local network? i assume you meant the later. Sounds to me like you have a network issue, possible wireless performance? That would probably explain the choppy performance you mentioned. Or is it that you have the nas on sleep/spindown mode, so it takes a second for the drive to spin up? These are the few things i can thing of.

Well storing your media on the qnap is simple. Create the share in qts, then copy your files to that share (usually using desktop pc you browse to the share with file explorer).

amazon cube do you mean this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CnDOP8DTJA

not familiar with this item, but normally for HDTV, you have plex app installed, then from there browse to your media then play..... so yes you have to open the app (, browse to the media then play. It doesn't get simpler than that :)
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
old mike
Starting out

Post by old mike »

I use JRiver on my PC to access my shared drive on my 672XT where all my bluray and DVD's are ripped to, using ANYDVD. In my home theater I have a jail broken OPPO 105D which can access and play all my shared folder files and I also have a INTEL NUC HTPC running JRiver in Win 11 Pro that also works well. Unimpressed by Plex and all other supposed media server software, they are cumbersome and limited, (try playing a DTS sound track in PLEX, it won't)

Return to “Media Streaming”