DLNA and media streaming addon

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
jon96789
Know my way around

Re: DLNA and media streaming addon

Post by jon96789 »

I submitted a trouble ticket as well... The DLNA app still locking up on me... With the 4.20.0601 update, the lockups are less frequent but still happening. The problem is that QNAP support cannot schedule with me as their availability is only when i am at work. i tried reverting back to a prior firmware update but the DLNA app version is not compatible with the older firmware and i cannot find the older DLNA app.
jon96789
Know my way around

Post by jon96789 »

I called QNAP and was able to talk to a tech. It appears they are aware of the issue and cannot figure it out. They said that using Twonkey and the DLNA app maybe the culprit and had me disable Twonkey. Sadly, the issue still remained. I gave them a dump log which I created and hope that helps them. They said i could roll back the firmware but i told them that the current DLNA app 4.2.1.0.0.0 does notwork with the older firmware as I already tried that. They do know that the DLNA app went bad after the April update.
jon96789
Know my way around

Post by jon96789 »

Here is a possible fix for the DLNA Media app issue... As you know, the April 2016 firmware update trashed DLNA, causing lockups... There is a way to go back to a previous version of the firmware. I have reverted the firmware on my TS-453 Pro and am now testing it, so far it seems to be working fine...

NOTE: I cannot guarantee that the fix will work for you or if it will cause any loss of data, back up your files. You proceed at your own risk.

This fix applies to the TS-253 Pro/IS-453S/TS-453 Pro/TS-453mini/TS-653 Pro/TS-853 Pro NAS units....

1. Go to this link...https://www.qnap.com/i/useng/product_x_ ... e=4&II=149
2. Download the firmware 4.2.0 build 20160311 and save the file to your computer. Unzip the file.
3. Launch QNAP QFinder Pro and log in to the server
4. Launch the App Center
5. Click on My Apps in the left column
6. Locate QNAP Media Streaming Add-on and click on More
7. A window will pop-up, click on Remove
8. Close the App Center
9. Click and open the Control Panel
10. Under System Settings, open Firmware Update
11. click on the Firmware Update tab
12. Click on Browse and locate the downloaded firmware update and click on Update System
13. It may ask if you want to reboot the NAS after updating, select Yes
14. After the firmware is updated, the NAS will reboot.
15. After the reboot, log back in the server
16. Launch the App Center
17. Open All Apps and find the Media Streaming Add-on
18. Select Download
19. It will prompt you to download MediaStreamingAdd-on_420.0.1.5_20160105_x86.qpkg (make sure the date shows 20150105 in the filename). Unzip the file.
20. In the upper right corner of the App Center, click on Install Manually
21. The Install a new app manually window will appear, browse to the downloaded qpkg file and click on Install
22. You will have to re-index the files. Go to Control Panel and open Multimedia Management.
23. Select Media Library
24. Click on Rebuild media library indexing... Reindexing takes several hours.

It will take a while before the app configures itself, depending on the NAS you have. Hope this helps...
Krokx
New here

Post by Krokx »

So 2 years have passed by and QNAP did not resolve the issue with DLNA? I bought this week a TS 251+ and I'm already regretting it badly. Synology had no issues with DLNA.
What a shame they could not solve the issue! A bigger shame I didn't read this forum before buying this piece of **.
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

There are multiple other DLNA options available, which sounds like you haven’t spent the time to research about either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
Krokx
New here

Post by Krokx »

Which is not true. I spent a lot time to figure it out and that's why I'm so disappointed. Besides this I'm supposed to expect that the built-in DLNA option should work. I mean why should I have to look for other options when I buy a NAS with exactly that functionality? Other options you mention include Plex and Twonky and both are not exactly what I'm looking for, for various reasons. I simply expect that QNAP should be able to provide an app they build in, that it works. If I'm supposed to look somewhere else, then why to include it in first place? Or at least tell the customers, that they should look elsewhere for DLNA functionality.

How did you solve the problem, if I may ask?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

latest firmware has twonky in it again for free (on models build in 2016 and earlier)

what exactly does twonky not do ?
Krokx
New here

Post by Krokx »

What? I'm running 4.3.3.0299 and suppose that this is the latest firmware, since when trying to update it says it's the latest version. But there is no Twonky anywhere. At least not in the AppCentre. Or do I have to install it as 3rd party from somewhere else? The culprit about Twonky is, that it is not for free, but the Media Streaming Addon from QNAP was supposed to be free and working, which it isn't. So how to get Twonky on my QNAP?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

twonky can be re enabled under dlna ..see checkbox

viewtopic.php?f=142&t=135500
Krokx
New here

Post by Krokx »

Thanks for trying to help me, but I have a model with a serial number starting with Q17 and apparently in this series the Twonky server is not built in. I know about what check box your talking about, but I simply don't have this checkbox under >control panel>applications>media server DLNA (wording may be different since I'm using another language). I only have a checkbox to enable DLNA media server and below there should be a checkbox for the Twonky server, right? But there simply isn't.

Why is that? (Why doesn't my model have Twonky server built-in?)
Can I install it manually?

Before you ask, of course I have sent a ticket with a request about DLNA problems to QNAP, but of course no reply.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

well you have a q17 model..that's why

with those you have to install manually and purchase twonky
dmors
New here

Post by dmors »

Same problem after the last update 4.3.4.0516 (or even the earlier one). The annoying thing is that it was working smoothly before. I'm tempted to downgrade

Return to “Media Streaming”