[HELP] Direct play through HDMI to TV

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
dolbyman
Guru

Re: [HELP] Direct play through HDMI to TV

Post by dolbyman »

There you go, now I got what you are saying.

Yes you can watch videos served from the NAS via SMB,DLNA,etc, that method serves the files and not the actual video

That's how I do it (DLNA via Twonky)

At first I thought you meant sending video data via network cables

Like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Ex ... B00OZV04BK
kalantan
Starting out

Post by kalantan »

tombulum wrote:My NAS can output at 4K to the TV via HDMI without any mucking around with the network.
It's simple, and it just works.
What model QNAP do you use as your direct-to-TV media server? I assume it's one of the models with remote?
~ kalantan ~
kalantan
Starting out

Post by kalantan »

::: UPDATE :::

I started with a QNAP TS-453B (4GB) with remote with the intent to use as a Plex server, but to primarily play 1080p and 4K files directly to a 4K TV via HDMI. The TS-453B handled 1080p flawlessly, but had issues playing 4K files smoothly to the 4K TV. I enabled Direct Play and all that and still had the stutters and judders. I tried Plex Open Home Theater, Plex Media Player and Kodi - same results.

I returned the TS-453B and am setting up a newly arrived QNAP TVS-682T (also with remote) and am hoping the overkill that this box provides is what I need. Will update as I get it up and running. When testing the TS-453B, I had issues getting DD 5.1 to pass through the HDMI through my Sony TV. My TiVo and Apple TV are able to get a DD 5.1 signal passed through the Sony to Optical OUT. I was hoping the QNAPs would perform the same. I guess choosing one of the other HDMI out ports for audio out and going through an HDMI to TOSLink converter would be the solution. At least hoping so... :?
~ kalantan ~
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

as said in your previous post reply, changing the playback device would have been the wiser economical choice (and is more future proof as well)
kalantan
Starting out

Post by kalantan »

@dolbyman Agreed... It's just a challenge I wanted to tackle as a self-sabotaging early adopter. I have the TVS-682T as a great Plex server and will be happy when I get an Apple TV 4K as the playback device. I'll still keep hacking away at the direct playback issue though... ;)
~ kalantan ~
ace_300
New here

Post by ace_300 »

Also having some issues with direct playback with HDMI, i just bought a tvs-882BR with 4k HDMI and doesn't work very well. getting alot of interference with video playback. Not sure if i'm doing something incorrect or what exactly
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

hdmi has no interference .. it's digital ... there is either a picture or not

other than that .. absolutely no usable info supplied
ace_300
New here

Post by ace_300 »

Maybe interference was the wrong term, There are horizontal lines that go across the screen from time to time. What are you guys using for playback?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Most here use Kodi for direct playback from the NAS
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

ace_300 wrote:Maybe interference was the wrong term, There are horizontal lines that go across the screen from time to time. What are you guys using for playback?
Have you double checked your hdmi Cable and made sure it’s an HDMI 2.0 cable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
ace_300
New here

Post by ace_300 »

Yes, I have bought a new HDMI cable, also thought that might be the issue. Currently i am using HD Station and trying to use VideoStation HD to play movies but it is extremely slow and unresponsive.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

ace_300 wrote:Maybe interference was the wrong term, There are horizontal lines that go across the screen from time to time.
You might be describing video-tearing (also called screen-tearing). Can you Google some examples and confirm? Tearing is usually noticeable during whole-screen pans from side-to-side.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Trexx
Ask me anything

[HELP] Direct play through HDMI to TV

Post by Trexx »

ace_300 wrote:Yes, I have bought a new HDMI cable, also thought that might be the issue. Currently i am using HD Station and trying to use VideoStation HD to play movies but it is extremely slow and unresponsive.
Also make sure on HDMI 2.0 input on TV. Sometime you have 2 different 4K inputs (@30 & @60) even. Also some TVs like 59.94 vs 60.

Another is check for newer firmware for TV if vendor offers it.

Also I am assuming you installed CodexPack for HD Station as well and the if you looked in Media Management it show Hw Transcoding enabled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
Gurras
First post

Post by Gurras »

OneCD wrote:
ace_300 wrote:Maybe interference was the wrong term, There are horizontal lines that go across the screen from time to time.
You might be describing video-tearing (also called screen-tearing). Can you Google some examples and confirm? Tearing is usually noticeable during whole-screen pans from side-to-side.
I know this is an old thread, but I was having a similar issue after factory resetting my ts-453a.
I found that "enable remote desktop" in HDStation settings was selected. There is a note under the check box saying something like "enabling remote desktop may affect the playback of local videos".
I disabled remote desktop and applied the setting and so far so good, no more stuttering horizontal lines on vertical motion scenes

I don't know if this is the same issue described above but I hope this helps someone in the future

Return to “Media Streaming”