No DTS-HD or TrueHD via HDMI

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
napper1237
Starting out

Re: No DTS-HD or TrueHD via HDMI

Post by napper1237 »

Cool sure. I have a dual setup in order to test which works better - direct from NAS or over DLNA. Both are an issue currently.
I'll be resetting and flashing the Himedia H8 (Android box) tonight to ensure it's fully up to date. Will be using latest version of SPMC and passing through all audio to the receiver (currently this is still showing as PCM despite my settings!).
napper1237
Starting out

Post by napper1237 »

OK that's promising also. The NAS is now on 4.3.3 so perhaps this might sort it (have updated Twonky server version too). My understanding to date though was that 1.4a can carry upto 8 audio channels, which is fine for TrueHD, DTS-HD at 7.1 but does the ATMOS encoding use 5.1 plus 2 presence/ceiling channels OR is it always sending over the full gamut 12/13 channels (ie 7.1.4/7.2.4)?
muntos
Know my way around

Post by muntos »

Sorry, but I don't think it will work with 4.3, it requires at least 4.5, see this : https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=283743

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
napper1237
Starting out

Post by napper1237 »

Woah that got more technical than I expected!
So I have the QNAP firmware at 4.3.3.

I'm not even sure how to ask the question correctly but are you saying there's an update I can force to the firmware which should enable the passthrough of ATMOS? In your thread I can only see you talking about DTS-HD and TrueHD (which are upto 7.1 so not the extra metadata for ATMOS).
Already looking like DLNA is the answer and I have software and config issues to overcome.

Hmmm
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

errr... linux kernel version is not the same thing as the QTS firmware version. ;)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
muntos
Know my way around

Post by muntos »

No, you can't update the kernel by yourself, it will be updated (or not) when Qnap will release newer QTS. Again, I'm sure that if DTS-HD will work then also ATMOS will work.

napper1237
Starting out

Post by napper1237 »

Cheers OneCD and Muntos - grand thanks, was just re-reading the thread re: linux versions on the QNAP. If I can do this via DLNA then all the better.

Back to the test bench tonight. Will let you know what goes!
napper1237
Starting out

Post by napper1237 »

Morning!

So after many tests using different media players, direct HDMI 1.4a and then over DLNA:
I can definitely output English AC3 as 5.1 over the HDMI but no ATMOS (amp detects Dolby Digital). All other audio streams are detected as PCM 2/0/---.

DLNA was a different story for another thread...but ultimately the receiver is always showing PCM when I use passthrough from the likes of SPMC/KODI/PLEX. I can output through 7 channels when I use the DSurround amp setting (it's a Yamaha).

Still some way to go, I'd way prefer it if I could get full ATMOS over the HDMI out.

Thanks for your support guys.
napper1237
Starting out

Post by napper1237 »

Any chance we can get comment from someone at QNAP as to whether they intend to resolve this kernel issue and if so when?
muntos
Know my way around

Post by muntos »

Here no chance, if you want some answer try raising a ticket at Qnap

kalantan
Starting out

Post by kalantan »

napper1237 wrote:Morning!

So after many tests using different media players, direct HDMI 1.4a and then over DLNA:
I can definitely output English AC3 as 5.1 over the HDMI but no ATMOS (amp detects Dolby Digital). All other audio streams are detected as PCM 2/0/---.

DLNA was a different story for another thread...but ultimately the receiver is always showing PCM when I use passthrough from the likes of SPMC/KODI/PLEX. I can output through 7 channels when I use the DSurround amp setting (it's a Yamaha).

Still some way to go, I'd way prefer it if I could get full ATMOS over the HDMI out.

Thanks for your support guys.

Hi - Can you please share the media player and setting you landed on? I only need to get DD 5.1 over the HDMI 1.4 right now. Atmos is in the future for me. Thanks...!
~ kalantan ~
kalantan
Starting out

Post by kalantan »

the3kgt2 wrote:I have a TVS-682 and am unable to get DTS-HD and TrueHD passthrough working. I have disabled Pulseaudio and am using HDA Intel PCH (ALSA) as my audio output device and passthrough device. Everything works except for DTS-HD and TrueHD passthrough. The video will play but no sound at the receiver. This worked fine on my TS-451 but not my TVS-682
Hi - Did you disable PulseAudio through QTS, Linux Station, or PMP? Thanks!
~ kalantan ~
napper1237
Starting out

Post by napper1237 »

Ok. It seems to very much depend on how your files are encoded as much as which settings you're using. I saw eac3 detected by my amp and give me a decent 5.1 signal when using PMP latest version with passthrough set for all types in the client options menu (Google Plex Media Player config or settings and there's a full tutorial). I have an ATMOS setup however and apparently QNAP are still behind the curve with their kernel version and despite having the appropriate hardware cannot passthrough 7.1 channels.
Very disappointing and resorted to using a media box but the one I already have is also lacking in the software department! Good grief it's stressful. Only another 100 quid for a better box might sort it but qnap could nail it with an update.
napper1237
Starting out

Post by napper1237 »

Sorry....install PMP instead of Plex home theater. There's a qpkg build kicking about somewhere on here
napper1237
Starting out

Post by napper1237 »

Also...can do full ATMOS using DLNA via a Himedia h8 but even they haven't married kodi and the Rockchip CPU. For the Himedia I have to use their native media player for now but it's interface is awful and the audio sync goes out constantly.
Their own support suggest using an s905 based box running libreelec and KODI. Apparently that means proper hd audio passthrough.

Which is all well and good BUT...the QNAP NAS boxes have the hardware to do all of this much quicker but not the software. Weak.

Return to “Media Streaming”