No DTS-HD or TrueHD via HDMI

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
JCCorp
Starting out

No DTS-HD or TrueHD via HDMI

Post by JCCorp »

Hi All,

I have a TVS-863+, And have been struggling to get Dolby DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD to play via my Amplifier (Onkyo TX-NR616).

I have used the HD Station, and tried with the HD Player and Kodi. Have set in both programs the Passthrough setting and enabled the TrueHD & DTS-HD capable receiver settings.

Normal DTS etc... play fine without issue.

I've read that passthrough has been a big issue, but the TVS models were meant to have the ability to output the DTS-HD/TrueHD/etc...

I've used to different HDMI cables one being brand new. Both these cables output DTS-HD MA and TrueHD via amp, from my HTPC without issue, thus can only think this is an issue with the NAS?

Can anyone help ?

NAS = TVS-863+ (Firmware = v.4.2.0 Build 20160311)
HybridDesk Station = v3.1.0
KODI = v15.2.0
HDPlayer = v14.2.2
ipete
Starting out

Re: No DTS-HD or TrueHD via HDMI

Post by ipete »

I couldn't agree more ... I have exactly the same issue. I've tried with 2 versions of Kodi 16.0.0 and 14.2.2 (HD Player), also Plex and Video station HD. I am very confident that the rest of my system it correctly set up because if I swap out the Qnap for a Western Digital TV Hub and play the exact same file over Ethernet from the Qnap it then plays HD audio perfectly. I wouldn't mind but I did my home work and it said everywhere that my TS-451 was capable of digital passthrough see here https://www.qnap.com/i/en/product/model.php?II=143. Am I missing something? If anyone has any suggestions me and JCCorp are waiting to hear because I'm thinking of boxing it back up and sending it back under distance selling regs as its less than 14 days old.
kandrik
New here

Post by kandrik »

hi guys
i have my ts251+ connected through hdmi to my yamaha rxv671 receiver, and the av through hdmi+optical to my samsung tv. with some movies in dts hd or dd true hd i had a problem at first to play them normally with kodi, then i went to Kodi System/Settings/System/Audio Output and then changed 1. Audio output device from default Playback/Recording through the PulseAudio Sound Server to HDA Intel PCH, SAM SAMSUNG on HDMI, 2. Output configuration to Best Match, 3. Enable Passthrough checked, all the formats capable receiver yes, and then it played normally the dts hd ma and the dd true (at least that's what the av said). Some times i realised i had to try to uncheck the Enable Passthrough and check it again while the movie played in order to display the right format. i don't know if this helps, hope to give you some ideas maybe to figure it out, good luck

NAS=TS 251+ (QTS 4.2.0, 11/3/2016)
TV=Samsung PC6500
A/V=Yamaha RXV 671
Kodi Jarvis
ipete
Starting out

Post by ipete »

Hello Kandrik.
Thank you for your reply. I've tried that setting and you are indeed correct. The audio does pass through however the Marantz NR1501 sound system notes the incoming sound signal as HDMI and not DTS HD. When I use my Western Digital TV hub instead of the QNap I do get confirmation that the audio is DTS HD rather than arriving just as HDMI audio. I have no confirmation that the signal on the HDMI is HD and not just the DTS core 5.1. It's sounds ok and kodi indicates HD audio in the file its reading so I guess what I'm hearing. It seems that Kodi is doing the translation to 7.1 audio and passing that down the HDMI rather than the whole thing being passed through and my amp doing the translation.
kandrik
New here

Post by kandrik »

i'm glad that i helped a little bit, cheers :wink:
JCCorp
Starting out

Post by JCCorp »

Has anyone with a TVS-xxx range NAS managed to get the DTS-HD pass through working ?

This is my 2nd unit, and the 1st unit couldn't either, but had a CPU fault, so was returned, and this unit also doesn't seem to pass through the audio.
scotland21
Know my way around

Post by scotland21 »

I have a TVS-871 and keep having the same issue with DTS-HD and TrueHD. At this rate I might go back to my old streamer, at least I could just watch my films with no messing around.
TS-509pro 4.2.4, TS-809pro 4.2.4, TS-459II 4.2.4,TS-559II 4.2.4
TVS-663 4.3.3.0095, TS-853pro 4.3.3.0095, TVS-871 4.3.3.0095
Scotland21 8)
JCCorp
Starting out

Post by JCCorp »

Has anyone actually raise an official support request about this issue ?, if so did they resolve the issue ?

I've not raise one yet, as have been trying to resolve the issue myself, but this looks like it might either need official support assistance.
JCCorp
Starting out

Post by JCCorp »

Hi ALL,

I contact QNAP Support for assistance, and they advised that i update to the following NAS Firmware version v4.2.1 build 20160419.

TVS-863+ firmware (http://eu1.qnap.com/Storage/TVS-X63/TVS ... -4.2.1.zip).

Although, this hasn't resolved my problem, i thought it might work for someone that is currently having issues with pass through audio.

Hope it helps?
JCCorp
Starting out

Post by JCCorp »

Hi ALL,

I was advised to try and install the latest version of Kodi v16 (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B49mo ... TRjY3VzV3M).

This hasn't resolved my DTS-HD MA or TrueHD sound issues, but might for some.

If it does work, please let us all know.
JCCorp
Starting out

Post by JCCorp »

Sorry forgot to mention, that the Support Advisor, did mention that the above version of Kodi was for my NAS's AMD processor (TVS-863+), so unsure if this will work with other non-AMD based NAS's.
JCCorp
Starting out

Post by JCCorp »

Just a quick update. QNAP Support are investigating the issue, and have provided them with Dump files, and other information.

So lets hope a solution will be found soon.
JCCorp
Starting out

Post by JCCorp »

Hi All,

Just another update. I've had the QNAP RD Team, looking into the issue, and this morning we did a TeamViewer session, to try and discover more.

Looks like after a bit of poking around in putty (didn't understand all of the commands, but looks like something to do with pulseaudio), and testing some DTS-HD MA and TrueHD films that it's still NOT working.

They think it's to do with the NAS's audio driver. As it sounded like they were expecting in the "Audio Output Device" - KODI/SETTINGS/SYSTEM/AUDIO OUTPUT to have the name of my AV Receiver, but mine doesn't it just shows as "Default HD-Audio Generic HDMI 0".

So I'm guessing look for this, if yours lists your AV Receivers name in there, it should be working.

They are going to look further at it and get back to me.

Will keep everyone informed.
JCCorp
Starting out

Post by JCCorp »

I updated the firmware to the latest version - 4.2.1 build 20160601 - http://download.qnap.com/Storage/TVS-X6 ... -4.2.1.zip

But this DIDN'T work for me, still have the problem, but might work for someone else?

Still awaiting QNAP Support to get back to me with an update on the driver issue.
aprossi
First post

Post by aprossi »

Try to install SPMC this is a version of Kodi that plays dts-hd and dolby-hd. It worked for my Shield TV, its a different device but kodi was not able to play dts-hd contents.
I really don't know if it is possible to install this version but you should try.

Regards.

Return to “Media Streaming”