I want to move my movies off my Mac to my NAS

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
mrstucci
Starting out

I want to move my movies off my Mac to my NAS

Post by mrstucci »

I would like to move my movies off my MacBook Pro (El Capitan) to my NAS-TS251. How do I do this? Can I do this more importantly??? I have just wandered around my NAS setup looking for a way to do this and I got lost. I have an AppleTV 4 that I would like to stream the movies from onto the TV. I have Plex installed on my Mac and my NAS. I can install it on my ATV4 if I need to. I am just not sure how to go about doing this. Thank you so much for your help. I am running firmware 4.2 on my NAS. Again, thank you, Judy
TS-251 (this is my very first NAS)
Love and use Apple products and operating system.
Don
Guru

Re: I want to move my movies off my Mac to my NAS

Post by Don »

Just copy the files over to whatever share, existing or new, you want to use for your media. Then add that folder to your multimedia app.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
mrstucci
Starting out

Post by mrstucci »

So from iTunes I just move the movies over, drag and drop? Will all the pieces move along with the iTunes folder? And then add that folder to whatever multimedia app I have on my NAS? Sorry I am so dense but I am just making sure that I understand you correctly, Don. These directions are for a Mac, right? Going from iTunes to my QNAP....
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

iTunes is a whole different animal. You didn't mention anything about iTunes in your first post. I suggest you google how to move media around within iTunes.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
Spider99
Experience counts

Post by Spider99 »

Within itunes preferences>advanced you can set the itunes media library location and/or see where it is located on your mac - i would go to the apple forums to see how to move it from location a to b

Once you know how to do that you can move the data to the nas into a share folder e.g. Multimedia - set the permissions for who has access to those files etc

If you are using plex - then you need to install the plex media server on to the nas and configure your libraries so plex knows what is available

then authorise the plex clients e.g. appletv etc to use your new plex server

thats it in very outline terms

couple of other things as you are new to nas
a) sort out a backup for your data - the nas is not a backup solution - say an external usb drive
b) configure your nas with raid - i suggest raid1 it way less risky than raid0
c) update your firmware to the latest which is 4.2.1 - 01/06/16
d) have a read of the plex forums as well to ensure you set things up correctly for the server and client software
e) read the online manual and look at the tutorials at qnap to give you a better idea on whats possible and how to do it - some elements are a bit techy - so if you get stuck - ask here - just give us all the info first and explain what you tried and did not work etc then you will get a better answer/advice as we can only go on what you tell us :)

sit back and enjoy :)
Tim

TS-853A(16GB): - 4.3.4.0483 - Static volume - Raid5 - 8 x 4TB HGST Deskstar NAS
Windows Server + StableBit Drivepool and Scanner ~115 TB Backup Server
TS-412 & TS-459 Pro II: Retired
Clients: 3 x Windows 10 Pro(64bit)
mrstucci
Starting out

Post by mrstucci »

Thanks! Judy
gggplaya
Been there, done that

Post by gggplaya »

Mount the NAS onto your mac using Samba(smb). Figure out where your itunes library is and copy the files over.

For the Apple TV, i use INFUSE which is $10, but i prefer it over plex. There's no need for transcoding, but that means you need a strong wifi signal to your apple tv.
gorbulan
Getting the hang of things

Post by gorbulan »

gggplaya wrote:Mount the NAS onto your mac using Samba(smb). Figure out where your itunes library is and copy the files over.

For the Apple TV, i use INFUSE which is $10, but i prefer it over plex. There's no need for transcoding, but that means you need a strong wifi signal to your apple tv.
Why use SAMBA when a Mac can use AFP? Does Plex not support AFP?
gggplaya
Been there, done that

Post by gggplaya »

It doesn't matter, just use whatever you like.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

that was delayed...what happened here ?
gggplaya
Been there, done that

Post by gggplaya »

I think someone made a post, then deleted it

Return to “Media Streaming”