Super sync iTunes media manager looking for user name and password

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
jenno
First post

Super sync iTunes media manager looking for user name and password

Post by jenno »

HI
I am setting up my TS431 for the first time, the iTunes manager is looking for a user name and password what one should I use it wont accept my login user id and password
please help
ademuzzy
Getting the hang of things

Re: Super sync iTunes media manager looking for user name and password

Post by ademuzzy »

admin admin is the default.
ademuzzy
Getting the hang of things

Post by ademuzzy »

jenno wrote:HI
I am setting up my TS431 for the first time, the iTunes manager is looking for a user name and password what one should I use it wont accept my login user id and password
please help
StuartG48UK
First post

Post by StuartG48UK »

I had this problem too. I set up my NAS and changed the admin password from the default and I logged out and back in a few times but when I tried to set up the iTunes server app it wouldn't recognise my login. I tried using the default but it didn't accept that either. I'd got Apple Time Machine support working ok with my changed password so I wondered what I was doing wrong.

These are the steps I went through:
Open control panel
Click on applications, scroll down to iTunes Server
Click on iTunes Server
Check the "Enable iTunes Server" box
Check the "After enabling this service, click the following link to enter the iTunes Web Server configuration page"
Clicked on the link to http://192.168.1.206:3689/

I then got a Username: "admin" and a starred out password box pop up which I assumed was mine as I've got Apple keychain passwords set up. (I'm using a MacBook for this)

When I clicked on the link I got a new page with dialogue box saying:

"To view this page, you must log in to 192.168.1.206:3689." and asking for username and password but not filled in with the Keychain password. I tried "admin" with my changed password but got:

"The user name or password you entered for 192.168.1.206:3689 was incorrect. Make sure you’re entering them correctly, and then try again."

I tried the default admin/admin but same result.

I went back and after some fiddling tried unchecking various boxes. Proceed as follows:
Control panel
Applications
iTunes Server
UNCHECK the "Enable iTunes Server" box
The "After enabling this service, click the following link to enter the iTunes Web Server configuration page" box then disappeared as did the suggested username and starred out password but the link itself was still there.
Clicked on the configuration link and got the same new page with "To view this page, you must log in to 192.168.1.206:3689." and the request for username and password as before
Entered "admin" and my changed password and it worked, I got the Firefly Media Server page up.

Not sure why it works that way but it did.

But Now what do I do? I want to transfer my iTunes library from the HDD on my PC to the NAS so I can access it from any device on the network. The Firefly app offers to scan for media but I assume it will only scan the NAS. Presumably I need to copy my iTunes library to the NAS first?

Any comments or advice welcome.
malford
First post

Post by malford »

ademuzzy wrote:admin admin is the default.
Thank you worked a treat :DD
Strong Lead
New here

Post by Strong Lead »

I know this is a year old, but the fixed admin/admin user is bloody insane! Qnap still[/] hasn't addressed something really basic.

A teenager knows to check admin/admin whenever he or she wants to work around any restrictions on a network device; hackers even moreso. Basically, if you want to use the Qnap iTunes manager, you have to leave your NAS wide open to anybody who wants to mess with it by leaving the admin/admin backdoor wide open. Got any files you don't want your teenager to access? Better not use the iTunes server! Do you allow people outside your network to have access to your NAS? Better not enable the iTunes server!
TVS-873e, 8GB, 4x10TB RAID-5
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

why would stragers have access to your nas ?
do you have strangers in your network ?

Return to “Media Streaming”