Streaming 4K MKV files via PLEX to LG TV

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
P1Fanatic
Starting out

Post by P1Fanatic »

I've recently bought a new LG 4K TV. I've downloaded quite a few demo 4K, HDR files etc. These files play fine from the TV's USB ports (USB 2.0 and 3.0). Problem is I have quite a few now so thought I would stick them on my NAS 453 Pro w/4GB RAM) and stream from there. My TV picks up the NAS automatically but using the built in Media Share App it won't load the files - just sits there with the load animation spinning.

I asked on AV Forums and they advise the TV's built in LG Media app is not that great so to try PLEX. I have installed PLEX on my NAS and on my TV and see the files fine. However when I try watching them a few seconds plays then it stops like its buffering. So should the 453 Pro be struggling with this type of task - a single 4K stream via PLEX?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Streaming 4K MKV files via PLEX to LG TV

Post by dolbyman »

make sure there is no transcode setting present, I recently tested 4K streaming via my old slow ARM unit (using twonky) and it worked like a charm
P1Fanatic
Starting out

Post by P1Fanatic »

dolbyman wrote:make sure there is no transcode setting present, I recently tested 4K streaming via my old slow ARM unit (using twonky) and it worked like a charm
I assume you mean on the NAS. Looking under PLEX -> Setting not seeing anything obvious. Transcoder Quality was set to Automatic. Have changed it to "Prefer higher speed"
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Yes Plex Server on the NAS, not the app

Don't set it to high speed , set it to disabled, why do you want to transcode ?
P1Fanatic
Starting out

Post by P1Fanatic »

dolbyman wrote:Yes Plex Server on the NAS, not the app

Don't set it to high speed , set it to disabled, why do you want to transcode ?
I don't. How do I disable it as see no option on Plex Media Server running on my NAS?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

apparently it is in the client

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/17547 ... er-totally

I only used Plex for a short amount of time, it had a nice sorting function for TV-Shows etc. but ultimately used more resources than twonky so I kept twonky
sanchez13
Starting out

Post by sanchez13 »

In the client settings (plex app on the LG TV) select video quality local/remote to max, and enable direct play & direct stream. If audio quality is present in the app, then select original.
STEFSAMY
New here

Post by STEFSAMY »

Same issue here, with a 60UB850V LG

My conclusions :

- TV can't play 4k files through DLNA but it's OK with USB, with its built in media player
- Plex app on the TV hasn't the option for direct play

=> I use my ISP TV box for playing 4k files through DLNA
emma24xia
Starting out

Post by emma24xia »

Some 4K (ultra high definition) devices are recognized by the Plex app. We're working to bring 4K playback support to other devices, too. 4K/UHD content matching the following will Direct Play on supported devices:
Container: MP4
Resolution: 3840x2160 or smaller
Video Encoding: HEVC (H.265)
Video Frame Rate: 30fps
Video Bit Depth: 8
4K content not matching the above properties will be transcoded to 1080p. Transcoding 4K content is a very intensive process and will require a powerful computer running Plex Media Server.
Frank borland
First post

Post by Frank borland »

Some 4K (ultra high definition) devices are recognized by the Plex app. We're working to bring 4K playback support to other devices, too. 4K/UHD content matching the following will Direct Play on supported devices:
Container: MP4
Resolution: 3840x2160 or smaller
Video Encoding: HEVC (H.265)
Video Frame Rate: 30fps
Video Bit Depth: 8
4K content not matching the above properties will be transcoded to 1080p. Transcoding 4K content is a very intensive process and will require a powerful computer running Plex Media Server.
I hate to break it to ya, but it just DOE NOT work. I have attempted to remux a 55GB movie in Handbrake to the above specs above. No good. Tried about 14 other variations... none of them play via Plex on WebOS 3.5. I tried Web Optmised, not web optimised. I tried with release handbrake (1.0.7?) and nightly Handbrake. I've tried with MANY different Audio formats. I've tried with different containers (MP4 and MKV). I've tried variable bit rate and constant quality. I've varied that bitrate as low as 8MBsec to 20MBsec All play fine on my PC via VLC. And the one's I tested that I connected to my LG C7 via USB also played - and it had a bitrate of about 60MBsec. and guess what?... They also play with XPlay.

So there is no doubt... PLEX CLIENT FOR WEBOS 3.5 IS UTTER CRAPWARE! Sure it is fine if you are playing 720p or 1080p content. But Plex has a LOT of work to do in the 4K space. Clearly they are dragging their feet. Or is this the price you pay for being an early adoptor?

Time to go try out a few other tools, or I bite the bullet and drop a few $$$ on XPlay. thank GOD I did buy a Plex-Pass - utter waste of many days doing all that transcoding.

I should clarify... Plex would play some of my remuxes - but NONE of them as Direct Play or Direct Stream. Some didn't play at all.

Bottom line: you simply cannot play actual 4K content with Plex client for WebOS 3.5- all downgraded to 1080p. But happy to download a file from someone who cares to prove me wrong.

And I can confirm this is not a Plex server/NAS thing. I also have Plex server on a very fast PC which made no difference.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

plex server is running from where? qnap right?

well according to here the 1080p transcoding has limited media support for this (meaning some may stutter as a result)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =314388488

If your playing from lan, did you try Kodi instead? Can kodi be installed on your HDTV, then you access the share from your NAS to play media files that way?

check my faq link for plex and kodi playback.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
emma24xia
Starting out

Post by emma24xia »

Transcoding is the most CPU-intensive option of how content can be handled.The QNAP TS-453 Pro can transcode 1080p HD video, but it may struggle with some high bit rate 1080p media.
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

emma24xia wrote:Transcoding is the most CPU-intensive option of how content can be handled.The QNAP TS-453 Pro can transcode 1080p HD video, but it may struggle with some high bit rate 1080p media.
Agreed.

Now if you are a Plex Pass user running v1.91+ of Plex Media Server, you can enabled under Advanced Transcoding options HW Accelerated transcoding which should help for high-bit rate 1080p media in terms of CPU load. This is experimental still and may impact video quality.

I doubt it would make 4k media playable since I don't believe the 453Pro GPU has support h265 or HVEC
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
paolomarino
Easy as a breeze

Post by paolomarino »

in my experience plex webos lg official app always try to transcode 4K content.
i have started to use xplex unofficial lg webos plex client and it works fine.
no trascoding and the lg run 80gb 4k hdr mkv x265 untouched movies smooth and clear.
the reason is: xplex use internal lg movie player to play movies instead plex client player.
so you do not need a powerful nas. all the work is done by lg player.
hope helps :)
Happy Qnap TS-509 Ultra (Intel E7500 + 2GB RAM + 20TB WD RED) Owner :)
Happy Qnap TS-870 Ultra (Intel I7-3770T + 16GB RAM + 64TB WD RED) Owner :)
greeky
Starting out

Post by greeky »

Well depends your network also. I mean 4k via WiFi it's very hard unless if you have ac protocol on your wireless access point and your TV supports it. If you are via lan anything less than gigabit lan won't work.
TS-453A

Return to “Media Streaming”