kodi on TS-251+

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
nderfel
Starting out

kodi on TS-251+

Post by nderfel »

hi all,

I have purchased a TS-251+, one of the main reasons is to run KODI, otherwise I would have gone for something cheaper as the only other reason I need it is to stream a music collection.

I see how that support for kodi has been withdrawn, It also looks to me like the father mande kodi versions that were available aren't any more (none of the urls work)

Can anyone confirm if I can easily (I do not know Linux) get Kodi working on my device please? Otherwise I will return it for a refund and get something cheaper and continue to use kodi on my amazon firestick (I was assuming that the 251+ I have on the way will run it much better as it has 8 Gb RAM)

Thanks in advance for your help

Nick
Alchi
Starting out

Re: kodi on TS-251+

Post by Alchi »

I have the same TS-251+ and bring only bad news...
I have sent question to support about Kodi and here is the answer:
Dear customer,

QNAP has ended support for the following apps and they have been removed from the HD Station:

- KODI / XBMC
- MediaCenter21

Therefore we are unable to provide further assistance regarding these apps.

Additionally, the HD Player application is temporarily removed from the HD Station and will be re-added at a later date. Support for HD Player will continue as normal.

Please see below for some alternative apps to use:

1. Use Linux Station to install a multimedia player in the Ubuntu virtual machine and play video content

2. Use Plex Home Theater (install it in HD Station) to play video content

3. Search online forums for 3rd party multimedia apps for HD Station

We thank you for continuing to use QNAP products.
nderfel
Starting out

Post by nderfel »

thanks for the quick reply, even if its bad news :(

so no Kodi, at which point for me then I will send the QNAP device back and get something else... :( shame, its not their fault.

I assume you haven't got it working using a third party app?

thanks again for the reply

Nick
kandrik
New here

Post by kandrik »

i also have the ts 251+ and use kodi for watching tv shows and movies. i have a kodi 16 version installed and keeps working fine. i suppose that you could find an old version and install it in the HDStation or not?
nderfel
Starting out

Post by nderfel »

cheers, I don't suppose you have a link or could tell me what you installed to get it working could you?

thanks again

Nick
kandrik
New here

Post by kandrik »

actually i installed it months ago, since i bought the ts and the app was available (and upgradable) for hd station. reading today the news about not supported anymore, i figure that if you bought now the ts, you won' t find kodi app available. that' s trully a shame, because with kodi through hdmi the ts has given me a lot of fun. if i were you i would try to search for the most recent version available and try to install it. i m confident that if that would no work too, some other solution should appear. i hope that i won't wake up someday and find that qnap has deleted my installed app too (i haven' t figured out yet, if they no longer support the updates of the app, or they no longer permit the use of kodi with any qnap device, in that case i would be catastrophic for us)
nderfel
Starting out

Post by nderfel »

I think I have it working, its installed anyway :)

I used the link in here, the links weren't working yesterday but they are today. I just then manually installed after the HD app

viewtopic.php?f=320&t=117179
Alchi
Starting out

Post by Alchi »

nderfel wrote:thanks for the quick reply, even if its bad news :(

so no Kodi, at which point for me then I will send the QNAP device back and get something else... :( shame, its not their fault.

I assume you haven't got it working using a third party app?

thanks again for the reply

Nick
Take it here https://www.father-mande.ovh/Q/qpkg/myk ... 16.1.1.zip
Have no idea how long Father Mande (thank him for job he has done!) keep it updated and how long it will be compatible with QNAP firmware updates. I have not installed FW 4.2.2 yet because of it but have troubles with TimeMAchine and support recommended me to update. So don't know what is worth - Kodi or TimeMachine :evil:
nderfel
Starting out

Post by nderfel »

Kodi works fine for me on 4.2.2 by the way ;)
mattyc
Starting out

Post by mattyc »

I have kodi 16.0 installed on my ts-451+, it works perfectly, also does hd audio, dts-hd and dolby true hd. It plays flawlessly. I uninstalled the latest version and manually installed the 16.0 version as the newer one didn't do hd audio. Don't have a link but persevere with it.
nderfel
Starting out

Post by nderfel »

thanks matty, I have gone for 16.1.1 which seems to be working fine on 4.2.2.

phew!
michelinok
Starting out

Post by michelinok »

Hi there!
Just installed kodi via qpkg...but i don't have the ts-251+ connected to a tv at the moment...and wanna remove it...but kodi doesn't show on installed app.
How can i remove it?
---------------------------------------
My blog https://www.iu5hes.com
CylonCenturion

Post by CylonCenturion »

michelinok wrote:Hi there!
Just installed kodi via qpkg...but i don't have the ts-251+ connected to a tv at the moment...and wanna remove it...but kodi doesn't show on installed app.
How can i remove it?
you can try it by ssh
Are you familiar with ssh?
michelinok
Starting out

Post by michelinok »

CylonCenturion wrote:
michelinok wrote:Hi there!
How can i remove it?
you can try it by ssh
Are you familiar with ssh?
yeah...removed the .qpkg folder of kodi.
Thanks for the tip!

PS: ssh is the swiss army knife :)
My blog https://www.iu5hes.com
Xmantium
Been there, done that

Post by Xmantium »

The latest Kodi 17 can be found in QNAP Club here - http://www.qnapclub.eu/index.php?act=detail&qpkg_id=405

Return to “Media Streaming”