Twonky disappeared after fw upgrade

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
Macuser007
Starting out

Re: Twonky disappeared after fw upgrade

Post by Macuser007 »

grantorinosport, can you please provide the information how did you manually install the Twonky to work with FW 4.3.3 build 0174? I would like to try on my TS-453 Pro with FW 4.3.3 build 20170516.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

you download it from here:

http://www.twonkyforum.com/downloads/
grantorinosport
Starting out

Post by grantorinosport »

Macuser007 wrote:grantorinosport, can you please provide the information how did you manually install the Twonky to work with FW 4.3.3 build 0174? I would like to try on my TS-453 Pro with FW 4.3.3 build 20170516.
What Doblyman linked was exactly what I did. You just manually install the software once you download it. Once downloaded you can set it up, it's pretty much the same as far as I remember from previous Twonky.

Twonky (for me, anyway) is one of those packages that "just works" with very little input of monitoring from me. That, combined with better sorting options for large libraries than other programs out there, is what makes it an obvious choice (even with a $20 license fee) for me personally.
TS-269L w/ 2.13GHz upgrade & 3 GB Ram running QTS 4.3.3
AdamKH
Starting out

Re: Twonky disappeared after fw uTag information correctlypgrade

Post by AdamKH »

dolbyman wrote:the 212 should work with with the x19 version

not sure if the x31 actually was upgraded to 64bit ... as the trail version works for 14 ..you can always try...

also the paid license runs on 3 devices ...so most people should have no issues ..even with several qnap systems
Thanks, for the linking. I will download and try.

I am not sure if the TS431 has gone to 64bit. I did not have Twonky on that NAS so the the CF64 compatibility package did not test for Twonky. The change log for 4.3.3 on the TS431 is unclear if it is running 64bit. (The CF64 compatibility package does not run on the TS-212 so I assume that it is not 64bit).

Edit: Checking the TS431 is an ARMv7 processor so that means it is a 32bit processor. 64bit option did not come until the ARMv8.

I have tried the QNAP DNLA Server and Media Streaming Add-on. That seems to work file on the TS-431 but I am having huge problems with it on the TS-212 which QNAP Support are looking into (constant 40% CPU utilisation and 45% RAM usage). It took 17 hours to index the music library of 35,000 tracks.

In addition on checking the DNLA stream on the TS-212 it seems that the Media Streaming Add-on/DNLA Indexing is not picking up the ID3 Tag information correctly. This is a carefully curated library of over 35,000 tracks managed by Helium and MP3Tag. Everything is contained in the MP3 Tag Metadata.

It is creating non-existent Genres or not picking up the Genre in the MP3Tag, not picking up the Composer, mixing up the track numbers with the disk number, not pulling thumb nails from the ID3 meta data, Also, it does not handle direct address M3U playlists etc. I cannot go through 40,000 tracks checking these (and I have another music library of 35,000 tracks) trying find out the errors.

I really don't mind QNAP dropping Twonky from standard support. That is their business decision. However, they have to provide a credible alternative, and they have to give reasonable de-support notice.
AdamKH
Starting out

Post by AdamKH »

Installed Twonky on TS-431 and TS-454A using packages from link provided.
Very clean & quick install and indexes built quickly.
Just waiting now for QNAP support to explain why the TS-212 hogging CPU & RAM without any background tasks and why the QNAP standard DLNA packages cannot handle properly MP3 Tags... Then I will install Twonky on the TS-212.
Just crazy that after using Twonky free on QNAP for the last decade why the have decided to dump it. But then the same applies with Kodi which is a far cleaner, more efficient and elegant app than Plex.
AdamKH
Starting out

Post by AdamKH »

I am a little bit lost here.

Yesterday, I installed Twonky on both the TS453A & the TS431. I added some folders to be indexed and it worked well.

Today, after powering up my laptop I logged onto both NAS drives and attempted to open the Twonky QPKG package. This failed to open on both NAS drives. The web page was not accessible and had an address of //192.168.1.1X:9000 (I think).

I had to uninstall Twonky on both machines and reinstall. I have now saved the settings web page in my browser and set the page to have an administrator password. That is fine as I am running fixed ip addresses for the relevant NAS drives but those addresses will change shortly and I may want to run dynamic ip addresses in the future.

Can anyone advise?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

webserver issues maybe?

platforms are very different
arm 32bit vs intel 64bit
karlegas
Know my way around

Post by karlegas »

AdamKH wrote:I am a little bit lost here.

Yesterday, I installed Twonky on both the TS453A & the TS431. I added some folders to be indexed and it worked well.

Today, after powering up my laptop I logged onto both NAS drives and attempted to open the Twonky QPKG package. This failed to open on both NAS drives. The web page was not accessible and had an address of //192.168.1.1X:9000 (I think).

I had to uninstall Twonky on both machines and reinstall. I have now saved the settings web page in my browser and set the page to have an administrator password. That is fine as I am running fixed ip addresses for the relevant NAS drives but those addresses will change shortly and I may want to run dynamic ip addresses in the future.

Can anyone advise?
I have similar problem not access to the web page interface through port 9000, reinstall doesn't fix, firmware 4.3.3 vs Twonky 8.4.1

If was a webserver problem how change the port for Twonky? Twonky is running but I can change the settings.
Favorite Apps: Deluge - Plex, Twonky and TVmobili streaming
Models: TVS-463 QTS 4.3.4 / TS-221 QTS 4.3.3
Website: http://www.naseros.com Tutorials and News in Spanish for QNAP NAS
AdamKH
Starting out

Post by AdamKH »

Twonky on the TS453A and TS431 worked absolutely fine with no issues other than the Webserver issue (which I can live with for the moment).

However, on the TS212 it installed well on 4.3.3 (again with the Websever issue) and indexed quickly. However it quickly became CPU and RAM intensive. This resulted in the TS212 not being visible to Windows 10 File Explorer and on some occasions not being able to map a network drive using QFinder Pro. This is exactly the same issue that I encountered with the QNAP Media Streaming add-on which is currently under investigation.

It is likely that there is an alternate issue with the TS212 which is causing problems on that device as in idle (with no packages and no access) runs at 18% CPU utilisation and 70% ram usage.

For the moment I have worked around by only using two Twonky installs (one with 50,000 tracks on the TS431, one with 39,000 tracks on the TS453A) I ran the small music repository (5,500 tracks) using Plex on my Synology DS416.

With the QNAP DNLA Server/Media Streaming Add-on I found inconsistency in reading the ID3 Tags resulting in splitting of albums, reordering track numbers and generating invalid genres.
AdamKH
Starting out

Post by AdamKH »

karlegas wrote:
AdamKH wrote:......

Can anyone advise?
I have similar problem not access to the web page interface through port 9000, reinstall doesn't fix, firmware 4.3.3 vs Twonky 8.4.1

If was a webserver problem how change the port for Twonky? Twonky is running but I can change the settings.
I contacted Twonky support on an issue with my Synology and I was advised that not being able to access through port 9000 is because I had enabled Sonos Support which means that Twonky uses port 10243 in order to spoof Sonos into thinking it is accessing either Windows Media Player or Rhapsody servers.

Switching that option off resulted in a Twonky Server restart and access via Port 9000 worked again.

Simple.

I used to have Sonos as my main device for Networked Music but I was an early Sonos user and there was a limit of 32,000 tracks and there was limited memory in the Sonos devices so you could not have long track names (a problem with Opera tracks). To get around that I used a Philips Stremium hard wired as an external input to a Sonos unit and ran Twonky on a QNAP NAS for my modern music. I changed from Sonos to HEOS recently as the old Sonos equipment (10 to 12 years old) was slowly dying and HEOS supports DNLA plus Bluetooth. I needed to be able to connect Android & iOS devices as a source of other streaming inputs of music and for guests (in party mode). Sonos without Bluetooth fails in this.

For music playback the HEOS is as good as Sonos and more flexible allowing more DNLA server connects and Bluetooth connects. Unfortunately, the HEOS app on iOS and Android is not as good as the Sonos App but only because it lacks (a) the ability to fast forward through the current track that is playing, (b) it does not show the next track in the display, (c) it is not possible to create external M3U playlists and (d) there is no Windows App.

Sonos is good but Sonos do not understand music sharing in a social environment. I don't want guests to have to download the Sonos app in order to play music on my networked sound system whereas Bluetooth gives them full opportunity albeit at slightly lower quality (which does not really matter at a social event where the music playing is ancillary to the social gathering).

I only have one Sonos unit left operating and have a HEOS unit in the same room so I am not losing anything by dropping the Sonos/WMP/Rhapsody spoofing in Twonky.
tseln
Starting out

Post by tseln »

@TonyG_qnap
I see things the way you do. At least here in Germany we have a right to features announced at sale time, even in a later firmware. I am really angry as qnap dlna server is really slow at indexing files and even worse documented. I need an option to alter the output mime type for ogg vorbis in my server in order to make my Onkyo reciever work. Twonky did that quite nicely by a device specific xml file. There are such device specific xml files in qnap dlna server too, but there is no way to find out if there is a way to configure this and how.
Oh and support was really "helpful": wanted me to mail in all support data which takes quite a time for a problem completely evident and unrelated to any malfunction. I certainly won't buy a Twonky license as I paid for it with the qnap initially. A TS-469 pro is not a cheap device in it's device class.
Anyhow it's real bad behavior towards the customer to just take away important features by an update one is forced accept because of major security risks if omitted. I hope somebody takes this to the courts and sours them their ignorance. Next time I change devices my choice won't be qnap, that's sure.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

I am sure the box of my sisters Phillips 3D TV said YouTube on it (bought in Germany), that hasn't been working for years (no updates from Phillips and YouTube dropped support for old API's) pretty sure there is no class action lawsuit for this (as there are no class action lawsuits in Europe anyways)
To fix all of this I bought her a compute stick and she is a happy camper with a full blown Windows10 on her TV.

Moral of the story: Read the fine print, every manufacturer covers their behind, to remove any feature without notice or justification. And you agreed to them on purchase/install

The original post was deleted but I was the first to announce my displeasing with QNAP when they removed the free twonky license

viewtopic.php?f=213&t=127787&p=580637

I haven't updated my (non internet exposed) NAS ever since so I still have the free license, but If I had to, I would buy twonky in an instant, trouble free operation is not worth the trouble :mrgreen:
wooff
New here

Post by wooff »

I have QNAP TS-212, and twonky media was working fine for several years...
I tried internal DLNA server - but it has problems with subtitles and is slower. I also tried plex, but it is very slow and has problem with some video formats and subtitles )-:
So, I want a new (last) firmware because of security ... And I want twonky because it simply "works". Unfortunatelly, it goes against each other.

How to use twonky on Qnap TS-212 ? Was anybody already success?

Is there a way how to get a twonky licence key from running qnap with tronky? (before firmware upgrate - to use the same key and not need to buy one?)
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Post by Toxic17 »

wooff wrote:Is there a way how to get a twonky licence key from running qnap with tronky? (before firmware upgrate - to use the same key and not need to buy one?)
Do you not think we would have suggested this if it was possible?

There is only 2 options.

1. buy the $20 license and use the latest Firmware and the latest Twonky.
2. dont buys by a license, go back to unsupported and vulnerable firmware, and use the twonky that comes with it.

Simple really. ;)
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
mjl
Getting the hang of things

Post by mjl »

Toxic17 wrote:
wooff wrote:Is there a way how to get a twonky licence key from running qnap with tronky? (before firmware upgrate - to use the same key and not need to buy one?)
Do you not think we would have suggested this if it was possible?

There is only 2 options.

1. buy the $20 license and use the latest Firmware and the latest Twonky.
2. dont buys by a license, go back to unsupported and vulnerable firmware, and use the twonky that comes with it.

Simple really. ;)
Option 3: Qnap starts being nice agian to their costumers and arranges the license for us.
Option 4: buy a synology and hope they are better
NAS Model: TS-873 FW: 4.4.1.x
Pool 1 (HDD): [RAID-5+SPARE] 7 x 4TB WD SE
Pool 2 (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 500GB WD Blue m.2's
RAM: 64GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1050 Ti, Single Slot, 4GB
Network: 1x standard 1GB ETH + Intel 10GB ETH expansion (single port)
UPS: APC Back-UPS ES-700G

Backup 1: 2x USB 3.0 WD 4TB (alternating monthly backup of important data, most recent @2nd location)
Backup 2: NAS Model: TS-109Pro - 2 TB Backup @3rd location.
Backup 3: 2TB Stack storage for backup (4th location)

Cloud syncs: OneDrive & Dropbox

Return to “Media Streaming”